FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » An Open Letter To Mr. Card, Re: Your Jedi Article and Others (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An Open Letter To Mr. Card, Re: Your Jedi Article and Others
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
"This isn't an arguement! Its just plain contradiction!"

"No it isn't!"

"Yes, it is!"

"No it isn't!"

"See? There you go again!"

What would the world be like without Monty Python?

It wouldn't.
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My religion believes that he who looks for humor in a moose will find it and thus live out the spiritual truth that all meese are humorous.
That sounds like quite the religion.

P.S. Hehe, you said meese

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Why should a religion claim to be true?

Implicit in every ordinary statement is the claim that the statement is true. Here are some non-ordinary statements:

"This sentence is false." Is it true? Can it be?

"There are no absolute truths." Is it absolutely true?

Ordinary statements, like, "The yard needs mowing" or "I'm tired" or "The Lord our God, the Lord is one" have an implied "This statement is true." It would be silly to construe "the yard needs mowing" as meaning "the yard doesn't need mowing."

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elvish Wanderer
Member # 8204

- posted      Profile for Elvish Wanderer   Email Elvish Wanderer         Edit/Delete Post 
I stumbled upon this thread even though it is a week old, I thought what the heck, I would stream my thoughts out onto the sea of ether....

What causes quite a bit of the misunderstanding and chaos surrounding this topic is the understanding that there are no consistantly accepted meanings to the words truth, belief, religion, etc. . . Note that I did not say definitions. One can say that a particular dictionary states that reilgion is a set of spiritual beliefs... you can even look up the word beliefs and spiritual but all of these words are small tokens that represnet larger concepts that can't inherintly be contained by the tokens themselves... to illustrate:

I believe (I do by the way) that all beliefs are silly.

Stating this can be interpreted many many ways, among them some might state that it is an inherently contradictory statement (since I am stating a belief, then it must be silly)... but that depends on a narrow definition of silly i.e. that I consider silly an insult in this context. Also it can be interpeted as a larger insult that I believe that these beliefs are false (i.e. interpreting that in this context silly implies at least false)

Even taking those postulates as true I might have a definition of belief that means it as a filter through which I use to illuminate the world a certain way to understand something, not as something inherintly True or False (certain eastern religions focus on this understanding of belief in many different aspects)

And this is just a minor illustrative point. The words belief, religion, truth, falshood are some of the most disparately understood words because the are tokens that mean to encompass concepts which are to some uncontainable. It is neccesary to use them and to discuss them because the concepts are neccesary to be discussed; but it is very important to remember that what you read in a statement containing those words may or may not mean what you think it meant. This goes for Dirty Geek's original content because OSC's definition of religion and faith and truth and scripture may mean something then you are inteding them to mean; and as well to TL and MrSquicky as they circled around each other for two pages because they seemed not to understand that they each understood the words to mean different things... It even goes to me because I understood the two pages in a way that may not have even been meant by the authors... It also goes to anyone reading this message as I may not understand what I am posting the same way you are understanding it reading...

So just remember 0 sometimes but not always equals 1.
[Hail]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.