FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What would *you* like to see Uncle Orson review? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What would *you* like to see Uncle Orson review?
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wonder what he would write about sex.
It's not that hard to guess. Go read World Watch.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
He should review "Europa Universalis II", the strategy game. Except that, if I understand his tastes, it would suck him into his vortex and he would never review anything else; nor, indeed, write any more books. So maybe it's better if he doesn't.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NamelessPlayer
Member # 8750

- posted      Profile for NamelessPlayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of much when it comes to specific things I would like to hear OSC review, though I'd like to hear his thoughts on games and other novels.

If there's one thing I'm itching for his thoughts on for some reason, it has to be the "increasingly inaccurate Hitchhiker's Trilogy"-something rife with humor to break up the seriousness of OSC novels(not that that's a bad thing-why else would I be here?).

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
The Constant Gardener. He would expolde. It is
A. A very good movie, with great acting, which he would love.
B. An unabashedly "artsy" movie, which he might hate.
C. Critical of big buisnesses screwing the poor in Africa, which he might like
D. Critical of the War in Iraq, which he would really hate.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghengis Cohen
Member # 8813

- posted      Profile for Ghengis Cohen   Email Ghengis Cohen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
I didn't see anything about The Stand in that link. But he was dead on about From A Buick 8

Here's what the link had on The Stand:

quote:
Rodgers also avoids the story-telling mistake that ruined the ending of The Stand for me. King relied on good Calvinist theology when his novel ended with all the struggles of human characters amounting to nothing, so that only the finger of God could save the world from the Walking Man. However, I, for one, found that to be infuriating. If God was going to solve everything all by himself, why did I spend so much time reading seven billion pages about the suffering and accomplishments of the human characters? Rodgers' ending, by contrast -- though there is an element of divine and that will annoy diehard agnostics -- arises from the choices and actions of the good and semi-good people whose lives we have been following.
Spot on with The Stand--I loved the whole book except for that awful finger of God ending, which was quite the Deus Ex Machina (with the A-bomb as the machine). Dead Zone was my favorite King novel, and I love what the TV version has done with it.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filmstar
Member # 8115

- posted      Profile for filmstar   Email filmstar         Edit/Delete Post 
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
Did he ever write a review about the Alexander movie?
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I see the British version of "The Office" was reviewed; how about the American version, if there's anything different to say about it?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I want him to review: the new way that spinach is packaged in the produce section, at least at Wal-Mart. It used to be in bundles with the stem of the root still there. They recently started cutting off the stem. It was waste anyway . . . but it protected the spinach from wilting. Now it wilts almost immediately. You have to put it in water.

Then I want the people who do this processing to see the error of their ways and go back to the old method.

I don't usually think much about product reviews, but sometimes a decision needs reviewing. Recommended reading: How Things Don't Work, a book on useful design, from the 70's. Also, The Psychology of Everyday Things.

OK, this isn't about OSC's reviews, but . . . thread creep.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qirien
Member # 7638

- posted      Profile for qirien   Email qirien         Edit/Delete Post 
More anime or manga reviews would be good . . . maybe Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex? In some ways it reminds me of Ender's Game, not in content, but in theme.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

These two are totally different, but:

the movie Aeon Flux
the new book by the Eats, Shoots, and Leaves author (called Talk to the Hand?)

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
allanon
Member # 8888

- posted      Profile for allanon   Email allanon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches, book 1 - 4. I didn't think they were all that good, but I'd be interested in hearing an experts view on them.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

What about the new Game Boy Advance version of Final Fantasy IV, which some reviews say has a better-than-average story (and better writing than the original English version of the RPG)?
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wonder what he would write about sex.
5 stars! Don't miss it! This is one you will want to see again and again. It works on so many levels!
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
I want him to review the newest BATTLESTAR GALACTICA incarnation. He said he recently got the show to watch, but I still want his impressions.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
The Constant Gardener. He would expolde. It is
A. A very good movie, with great acting, which he would love.
B. An unabashedly "artsy" movie, which he might hate.
C. Critical of big buisnesses screwing the poor in Africa, which he might like
D. Critical of the War in Iraq, which he would really hate.

I'm pretty sure he'd hate it.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
The Return of the King (movie)
Paradise Alley, by Kevin Baker

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

I reread From a Buick 8 after reading OSC's review, and couldn't understand what he was on about, different voices telling the same parts of the story from different points of view. Didn't see that, myself.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BGgurl
Member # 8541

- posted      Profile for BGgurl   Email BGgurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Cashew - Mr. Card did review The Return of the King.
*reads* 5:45? Are you an insomniac, like me?

Posts: 106 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Nah, it's 11:45 pm where I am.
Can you give me a link to the RotK review? I never saw a review by him of the movie.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Knee braces--pros/cons of the various brands.

Not likely, huh? Guess I'm back to "eeny, meeny, miny, mo."

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
ROTK

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2004-01-25.shtml

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
Scrubs, House, Grey's Anatomy, and Lost, the four best tv shows out there right now (because futurama is gone, family guy is getting sucky, and alias is going off the air this season)
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I third His Dark Materials.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Wondering if he read "Rough Stone Rolling" yet or not. If he hasn't by now, he should, and I don't think he wouldn't. On the other hand, many people I know (including myself, although having read a quarter of it already) are waiting for it as a Christmas gift. By the way, what BryanP quoted of me -- its been long enough.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
el_tito
Member # 9322

- posted      Profile for el_tito   Email el_tito         Edit/Delete Post 
Hayao Miyazaki's filmography, from Totoro to Howl's moving castle.

I won't forget seeing "spirited away" on a big screen.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if I want him to review something i like. He seems to hate about 95% of the things I really like. Although he seems to like Miyazaki movies, and I also hated The Family Stone, but not because of the liberal thing, that stupid thing the mother said about gay guys was WAY more offensive than what that woman said....
And I didn't really like Cheaper by the Dozen that much either... it was very paint by numbers...
But, Dir en grey would probably ALARM him... they are very intense... very, very intense.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
As much I like to read OSC's book and film reviews, I think what makes this column especially interesting is when Mr. Card reviews completely unrelated things like hotels, high school plays in general, or even toilet paper. Those articles don't just show OSC reviewing something, but also setting up the criteria to do so.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
as long as this thread is at the top, i'll put in my $.02 and say BORAT.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
He did end up writing about toilet paper, which was one of the first suggestions. [Smile]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, he's written about all 3 of the things I mentioned.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Heroes! Doctor Who!
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for hatrkr81   Email hatrkr81         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he wrote about Heroes already.
Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
Wondering if he read "Rough Stone Rolling" yet or not. If he hasn't by now, he should, and I don't think he wouldn't.

He has, and his opinion of "RSR" is very, very positive. Based on his recommendation, I also read the book about a month ago, and agree that the research is top-notch, the presentation is balanced, and all-in-all, the prose is very enjoyable. Lucky you, getting such a book for Christmas.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeeshkid
Member # 9885

- posted      Profile for jeeshkid           Edit/Delete Post 
How about Tamara Pierce books? There's a recent one called Terior
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
BryanJH - Where can I find his review? At the same time I was thinking (related to this topic) what do I care about his reviewing something? I will like or not like something with or without him. Maybe it is about comparing notes.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

Of course, I am still waiting for my BATTLESTAR GALACTICA review.
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional, as far as I know, OSC hasn't published a review. My information comes firsthand, as I asked him about it a few months ago. Since I go to church in the same building (but a different ward--I'm with the cool, hip single adults,) I occasionally will see him in the halls. On this particular instant, he was out walking the halls with his new grandaughter who, I might add, is really cute. I really would recommend RSR, especially if you've read other recently published Church history books.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Dogs! Review them! No one can resist their cuteness!
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see a review on midieval: Total war 2
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I second The Office (US), House, and Scrubs. Actually, I seem to remember him mentioning House at some point. But I could be wrong.

I'm usually about 40/60 with OSC's reviews. I agree with most of his random stuff (like stores/restaurants that say they're open til 10 but they're already closed at 9:55), about half the time on movies and tv shows, and rarely ever on political issues.

I enjoy it when he reviews things I have a strong opinion on, especially when I disagree. It forces me to justify my own opinion, which I think is important.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.