FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Civilization IV out; OSC Mod planned ;) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Civilization IV out; OSC Mod planned ;)
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how fun Thailand will be in the Hoi2 Modern day mod... interesting...

And yes I am from quebec, but I don't know hardly any french. And the reserves it doesn't matter so it's all good. Like by not speaking french... say 99% of jobs are kaput.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it public school is taught in English then? Do they have French (as a second language) classes in grade school, or does a high enough percentage of the population speak French in the home that such classes wouldn't be needed by the vast bulk of kids*?

[Edit--*and so not be worth the money it would cost the state to provide them]

[ October 29, 2005, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

private schools are usually split 50/50 in english and french, public schools are generally all english until grade 4 (Primary 4) then they start doing french immersion as in french as a second language.

However our public school system has never been good and I slept through those classes (back when I didn't even know why I was even there for) and they pass me anyways. Almost screwing me over in my graduation exams in grade 10-11.

Now I'm in french lvl 1 in CEGEP (college) so its all good but I still can't get most "QD" jobs.

Noemon
Member # 1115

How much is English used in daily life? I mean, obviously you're able to get by in English, but if you were to decide to only communicate in French as a way of truly immersing yourself in the language, that would be possible wouldn't it? If so you might want to consider doing that. It's a pretty effective way to learn a language.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
I was there seven years ago. I'm still fluent in Thai, I can read, understand and write it, but I'm not as clear as I used to be. I can't spell it well, either...but I never could. Fortunately, doing dialogue for Suriya isn't going to require that I write in Thai. [Smile]
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey, that's when I was there too! Of course, I wasn't there nearly as long as you were, which is officially my excuse for not having nearly the grasp of the language that you do. I've recently picked back up with studying the language, so maybe in a few years I'll be up to speed. Well, assuming that I can keep myself at it.

The spelling does seem nearly arbitrary, doesn't it?

So what dialects do you speak?

Also, I was recently read a passing comment about there being a 6th tone that is actually used in everyday speech. What little Thai I've got is the sanitized central dialect stuff they teach in A.U.A. classes and the like, so this was news to me. How would you describe that 6th tone? Or was the person writing the comment I read smoking something?

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

i speak english 99.999% of the time. The only time I speak french is in french class.

I don't know enough french to have a passing conversation, also my hearing is off and I can't usually understand the accent.

tern
Member # 7429

I speak the Bangkok dialect and the Isaan dialect, and I can usually understand Lao. There is no sixth tone, at least in my experience. Perhaps what they are referring to is the looseness of tones in Isaan, but even then they stick to the five tones.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if this is something I could contribute to Intergalactic Medicine Show..
Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

- posted      Profile for RynoW1   Email RynoW1         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tmservo:
I'm wondering if this is something I could contribute to Intergalactic Medicine Show..

I think thats a great idea. I dont know about copyright stuff with Civ though.
Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RynoW1:
quote:
Originally posted by tmservo:

I think thats a great idea. I dont know about copyright stuff with Civ though.
If I had to guess, I'd sayd probably not. I would assume that it couldn't be put in the pay section, and even posting it for free would probably be iffy.

Hatrack, on the other hand, is much less commercial. Maybe you could try at least getting it linked on here somewhere.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

Hmm. I'm really unsure. Considering Firaxis & 2K Games have provided everyone with the tools to make the modifications, and have encouraged all of us to make add-ons to their game by providing us modification manuals, etc.

I just say this because they have setup areas of their own web, etc. to encourage outside development, and offered out the development kits to all users, including several who do charge (I will not submit mine as a per-pay mod) but I am aware of many who have put together teams and will pay their developers and charge for their modifications.

Since Firaxis knows this, and is willing to provide links on their website to all of those developing modifications ( http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/modcentral.htm ) I'm unsure how they could go back and claim misuse. The biggest fear I have of misuse issues is related to whether or not OSC comes down and puts a stomp on using his characters [Smile]

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

I just posted this question over on the culture side of hatrack.

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=039113

Any help would be great.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RynoW1
Member # 8365

Any updates on this mod Tomservo?
tmservo
Member # 8552

It's done. I have someone testing it for playability right now.

The mod includes 4 scenarios. It also includes a change of music, new weaponry, and new Heros. The Civolopedia has been altered for each scenario.

Once we get the gameplay balanced (which is the hardest part, I'm finding out) I will upload it [Wink] But I've had about 3-4 other people really helping.. though if anyone has any graphic savvy and would like to make some drawings, let me know [Wink]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'ld like to help betatest...
tern
Member # 7429

That would be with the legal copy you purchased, right?
archon
Member # 8008

- posted      Profile for archon           Edit/Delete Post 
tern, don't push him. He doesn't have problems killing people because he plays FPS games.
Posts: 50 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Which a Winchester no less... so where do you live/work/hang out again? Any places with nearby high buildings?
Noemon
Member # 1115

Blayne, even in jest it is a really, really bad idea to threaten someone's life on this forum.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Then he shouldn't have acted like an a$$ and deliberately mocked me. He made a stupid comment and so I'm informing him of his mistake, that its not a good idea to insult someone who you do not know and underestimate his/her resourcefulness and determination.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Is a modification like this similar to fanfiction? Be cause OSC has made his position on that pretty clear (i.e., he has to pursue it as illegal, otherwise he loses copyright).
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

quote:
Then he shouldn't have acted like an a$$ and deliberately mocked me. He made a stupid comment and so I'm informing him of his mistake, that its not a good idea to insult someone who you do not know and underestimate his/her resourcefulness and determination.
I'm trying to think of some way to respond to this with a straight face and failing miserably...
RynoW1
Member # 8365

quote:
Originally posted by tern:
quote:
I'm trying to think of some way to respond to this with a straight face and failing miserably...
[ROFL] This is why I have not responded to his comment. It took me back to Jr. High. [ROFL]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

o.. m... g...

I give up.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean you give up pirating games?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'm not answering.
Joshua Newberry
Member # 7864

- posted      Profile for Joshua Newberry   Email Joshua Newberry         Edit/Delete Post 
But...Saying you aren't answering is itself an answer and..OMG HEAD EXPLODE
Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*puts in another round*
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.