FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The word "bugger" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The word "bugger"
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
ANGRY STATEMENT!
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
ANGRY POINTING GESTURE!
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

ANGRY STATEMENT AT ANGRY POINTING GESTURE!!
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only Me
Member # 9399

- posted      Profile for Only Me   Email Only Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
Alternatively I took your words to mean one thing and you took them to mean another. It is of little importance. I'm glad you speak for everyone here when you say "we" so loudly.
He clearly did not use "we" to mean "everyone here." He expressly defined what he meant by "we" only two sentences previous in his post: "Those of us who defend him on this point do so because we think your position is wrong, and for no ulterior reason."

He's not speaking for "everyone here." He's speaking for "those who defended him on this point." Which includes me.

quote:
I was under the firm impression that this was a forum where one might ask questions and receive answers.
Yes. But you haven't seem to quite grasp that this means other people can, and most likely will, disagree with you. This is not "squashing."

quote:
question and answer does not imply an opponent unless it is some sort of challenge/response setup.
When you imply that those "defending" OSC (your word, one which introduces the idea of offense and opposition) are doing so out of reflex and not because of thoughtful disagreement with you, you have made it a challenge/response setup.

You seem to be operating under two misunderstandings:

1) that disagreement is akin to censorship.

2) that people disagreeing with you indicates a misunderstanding that this is a discussion forum.

Answering that will both take a treatise and divert still further. I see, understand and disagree with the points you are making. I welcome disagreement - it causes discussion. I simply do not wish to digress from the original question.

I am still curious over OSC's own thoughts and hope he will drop by and tell us. It could, after all, be something as simple as different meanings of words around the globe, or it could have been any of the explanations people have given so far, or many more.

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:

You seem to be operating under two misunderstandings:

1) that disagreement is akin to censorship.

2) that people disagreeing with you indicates a misunderstanding that this is a discussion forum.

1. How dare you say such a thing. I command your statements be stricken from the thread!

2. Your totally wrong about that Dag, this is a discussion forum, stop ruining things.... GOD.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

Waaaiiitt, this is a discussion forum.

AAH!

better to discuss than cuss.

like after I took my AP Physics test, they said NO DISCUSSING, so instead we cussed the test thoroughly.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

As well you should have. I opted out of the Ap physics test, but then I got the third highest score on the final.... I should have taken the test [Cry]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Only Me - Were you only looking for an answer from OSC? If so, you might try emailing him. When you ask questions in the open forum you tend to get many and varied answers from your fellow forumers, at least one of them intended to ruffle your feathers, and many of them disagreeing with you.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only Me
Member # 9399

- posted      Profile for Only Me   Email Only Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Only Me - Were you only looking for an answer from OSC? If so, you might try emailing him. When you ask questions in the open forum you tend to get many and varied answers from your fellow forumers, at least one of them intended to ruffle your feathers, and many of them disagreeing with you.

I am interested in his answer, naturally. Equally the answers here have been informative and considered. I tend not to get ruffled feathers very easily (that is so not a challenge, I know you guys are up to it iof challenged). I'm really hoping that when OSC next passes through he will see the thread and choose to reply. I raised it in part to see if I was alone in having the word grate, and in part for OSC if he happens to read it [Smile]
Posts: 13 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Its gone too far now, he doesn't seem to like to jump on the train once it leaves the station.

Having said that....

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.