FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The man who saw the god (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The man who saw the god
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Which brings us back to the original point. We don't know how Outside works, but it's possible that there is a scientific explaination of how it works, that happens to be undiscovered.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to go back and check the first post. I'd say that if we are positing a universe where physical beings have any ability to interact with Outside, that it would be possible for some beings to perceive what is going on Outside.

I don't know if this relates or not, but I've been reading about the Protestant Reformation and Martin Luther's opinions on the relationship of faith and works. In his day and age, there was only faith and works, and nothing in between or outside those things.

I'm not sure why it was seeming so clear to me yesterday that the general level of understanding today makes it much more likely that people won't fall into that paradigm. And I think transcending "either faith or works" is not a modern development, since the Bible speaks of a richer spectrum of motives, e.g. Faith, Hope, and Love or the inventory of beattitudes. It also seemed he was not distinguishing between works as in sacraments (which was the source of disagreement) or works of obedience, or works of sin. I'd be interested to read his interpretation of the parable of the Sheep and the Goats, though certainly even with the book of James he would sometimes quote it but more often castigate it.

Anyway, I guess my point is that the understanding of the substance of humanity expands and contracts at various times. Maybe there is more than one Outside. Current "string" theory generally stipulates more than one.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.