FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Petra's importance (SPOILERS sorta)

Author Topic: Petra's importance (SPOILERS sorta)
Master Kakashi
Member # 6165

- posted      Profile for Master Kakashi   Email Master Kakashi         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I just finished reading Shadow of the Hegemon and when I came to part where Achilles held a gun to Petra's head I wondered, What would have happened if he actually killed her, in front of Bean? I thought it would have been a pleasure and pain, for she was quite an important character and then to suddenly die. I don't know about you, but I would have loved her even more. Where would the story have gone from there? [Confused]

[ February 03, 2004, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Master Kakashi ]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Kakashi.

As a courtesy to other members of the board, including newer ones, who may not have read the book you're talking about, it's considered appropriate to include a warning, either at the beginning of your post or perhaps in the thread title, that you will be including "spoilers." Thus anyone who hasn't read the book can avoid learning major plot points before he or she reads the book.

Regarding your question, I'll think about it a little bit and respond later. It certainly would change the next book a lot, though.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master Kakashi
Member # 6165

- posted      Profile for Master Kakashi   Email Master Kakashi         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pops!

Sorry for not warning, hope I didn't ruin it for you or anyone else. As a newbie, I vow to mark my messages as spoilers when need applies! So, if you don't already know, my first message was a SPOILER!!!! Sorry for the inconvience and good day.

You know, while I'm at it, I may as well ask a stupid question. What does 'kuso' mean? I'm not so caught up on my vocabulary.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
MK - you can edit your original post to include SPOILER prominently at the top.

What a horrible thought that Achilles would actually pull the trigger -

but pulling the trigger would have released any hold over Bean's actions that was in place, and I don't think Achille would have done that . . .

Welcome!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master Kakashi
Member # 6165

Thanks for the info Shan,
but, umm, how do I do that? What button is it?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The Edit button is the little paper-and-pencil icon. Make sure you edit your opening post to edit the thread title. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly would have changed things in the next book. It is certain that Achilles would have been killed or taken. At that point his impact on world events was diminished, but for Bean personally it would have made his life unredeamable tragedy.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Bean was in love with Petra at this point. The middle of Shadow of the Hegemon he hasn't seen her since they left Eros. Been a while since I read it, so I'm not sure.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Not in romantic love, no. But he has recognized Petra as a very important part of his life, not only as a person who recognized Bean as a human being, but as a comrade that asked for help - which Bean was determined to give.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master Kakashi
Member # 6165

Okay, right now I just have to say, DON'T POST ANYTHING PAST THE SHADOW OF THE HEGEMON BOOK! I really want to read Shadow Puppets, but haven't had time lately. So, just warning ya.

So, I really don't know what else to say, but that I have no clue what'll happen. I want Bean to fall in love with Petra and live together at least to an age where they can have a child together or something. But I know that that will never happen. [Cry] But if it did it really wouldn't be as great a story. Not every thing can have happy ending.

Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
To return to the original question:
Bean never quite forgave himself for not preventing the deaths of Poke and Carlotta.
If Petra had been added to that list--who was certainly a good comrade and friend by then--it would likely have entailed Bean's total collapse.

Certainly (in the short run) Achilles would have been killed, and much world suffering saved. But Achilles' death would not end all dangers to world peace and justice. And whatever the next menace was, there would be no Bean to help to fight it. He would be rendered useless.

But, Carlotta's words about "vengenence makes people stupid, even people as bright as you" stick in his mind at the crucial moment, and he decides that nothing in the universe is more important than saving Petra.

Was he 'right'? Who can say, for certain. One more case of "The Terrible Choice."

Grandma Edie, also known as Edith S. Tyson, author of Orson Scott Card: Writer of the Terrible Choice.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Hey! I ordered that! What's the turn around time on shipping and delivery?

(Rubs hands eagerly in anticipation)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.