FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » card's theory

Author Topic: card's theory
amit
Member # 6484

- posted      Profile for amit   Email amit         Edit/Delete Post 
the one about the phiolts and aivas..
as explaind in speaker of... -> children...

It's sounds very familier to me... and it seems too complicated to just be made up for this books...

does anyone here know about some kind of source that card used for this theory...?

thanx

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
He really did just make it up off the top of his head, though the moral ramifications and purposes behind it are based in part on his reading of Mormon esoteria.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that the philote theory has been meaningful in my own life. After reading the Ender Series and learning about philotes as literal connections that Jane could actually use and the ansibles could use...I started to have deep thoughts about the 'philotes' that connect people. (I thought I was thinking SO deeply). I discussed it at length with a good friend of mine and we had all sorts of situations, theories of our own and thoughts about how these philotes could apply to people and relationships and be explained quite well. We thought we were pretty smart.

Then I read the Homecoming series. OSC had thought of it about 20 years before I did and had created a character, called a 'Raveler' that could actually SEE these connections between people. [Frown] Yeah, I didn't feel smart any more, but it was still pretty exciting to have OSC's further philote theory added to the discussions and thoughts that I already had. I also had fleeting glimpses of this idea while reading Folk of the Fringe.

In short, I really think that Card is onto something with this. It's great deep thinking material.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Going with what Rat/Dog said (who would know more OSC's reasoning than other people I would assume), I am wondering if it has anything to do with the Light of Christ penetrating and connecting everything together. He then, probably, just worked out from there to form his own variation on the theme.

[ April 24, 2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Mmm...I always felt it was something different than that. It's hard to explain. The way he explains Rasa's strength as a result of the loyalty of other people to her, and the lack of strength of the guard and Elemak because of people's disloyalty...

It seems to give great power to people's feelings toward one another, the fact that if someone love's or is loyal to me, I am stronger on my own as a result...

It's just a really cool concept. And one that I can't explain clearly. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amit
Member # 6484

- posted      Profile for amit   Email amit         Edit/Delete Post 
the reason i asked...

does anyone here knows the books written by carlos castenda....?

those are not fiction books (not exactly)
he explains the view of the world of an ancient maxican sorceres dynesty....
those sorceres could "see" the energy as it "flows" trough the universe

they saw that the universe consisted of endless brights strings with endless length...
all the human had the same strings move trough them... those strings are the part of the universe human can comprehend...

the desciption of the strings is beyond 3 dimentions

conscious beens have an assembly point... that is the awarness center...

***spoiler*
at some point he even describs a transport out and into the world, like done by jane.

the fact is, maxican sorcers theory as explaind by castenda is far more complicated... and i realy dont understand it fully....

but i noticed it is very much similar in a way to card's theory.......

... so... are all the connections complitly accidental?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

That's a good question. That would be so cool if they were...
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Dog said that it came in large part from OSC's reading of "Mormon esoteria". When I read it, it reminded me of some of the stuff that the Mormon scholar Cleon Scousen has said. He's a little out there, even for Mormons. But both the philote theory and Alvin Maker's theory that all matter has tiny inteligences remind me of "The Meaning of the Atonement", a paper written by Scousen.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&tvvisted
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&tvvisted           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, crazy Mormons.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camber
Member # 6154

- posted      Profile for Camber   Email Camber         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read Children of the Mind, it immediately reminded me of the Mormon concept of intelligences (the pre-soul substance from which human spirits were organized). But it also made me think of a friend I met in Arizona, who claimed he could see different colors of energy. He claimed that all people had these energies, and that we also emit them and they connect us. He had been trained in a type of therapy that diagnosed disorders/problems in people based on the combinations of colors they emit. When I knew him, he had just come back from some additional training on manipulating the energies. I.e., correcting blockages or reversals in the flow of persons' energies. He called the discipline "ray key"; I never asked him how it was spelled, so I don't know if that is right. But here is a site that sounds like the same thing my friend was studying: http://liteweb.org/raykey/
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a recent, phonetically spelled variant of Reiki. I am very open to alternatives, but I worry when people take a centuries old discipline and put their own spin on it. Or purport to be masters after a couple of years of training. I guess I have a beef with Reiki because in my opinion it crosses the line from holistic health into spiritism.

Also, I would hope a Reiki master, more than having x number hours of training and a certificate, would exemplify balance in every aspect of their life. I feel it is weird to submit one's spirit to being a passive patient.

That said, I do believe there are folks who are able to sense auras and so forth. Maybe it can even be taught. And I don't mean to impugn your friend, if he has that gift. This is just my experience with Reiki.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yitz
Member # 6533

- posted      Profile for yitz   Email yitz         Edit/Delete Post 
the ideas discussed above, basically all of the permutations (the mexican-castenada, the jesus light, the philotic connections both in EG & Homecoming, etc) are discussed at length throughout (jewish) kabballistic and hassidic literature.
Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.