FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Is it just me?

Author Topic: Is it just me?
D a r i u s
Member # 6551

- posted      Profile for D a r i u s   Email D a r i u s         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno if it's just me or not but one of the main reasons I read OSC is that I tend to feel a hundred times smarter while and after I read the book. I was wondering if anybody feels the same way.
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm convinced that that's the reason most of these people post here, too.

I know that's why I'm doing it.

But, yeah, I tend to be, maybe not smarter, but definitely more skeptical when I'm reading OSC.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what you're saying is that reading OSC makes you think. Most people don't even realize that they don't think much.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, but also I think that Osc sets it up, so you can figure it out, consequently making you feel a whole lot smarter. [Wink]
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D a r i u s
Member # 6551

- posted      Profile for D a r i u s   Email D a r i u s         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, maybe it's just the fact that the characters are usually geniuses and since you feel like you understand them you must be smart too. Hehe I dunno.
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
I think mr_porteiro_head is right, Bud. [Dont Know]
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I feel outright smarter, but my literary capacity is stimulated and I feel like I could write a narrative masterpiece about my everyday life and it would be really interesting.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EurasianGirl
Member # 6524

- posted      Profile for EurasianGirl   Email EurasianGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with mr_poteiro_head as well.

I think maybe the fact that OSC's habit of analyzing situations and deciphering what psychological impulses/needs triggers their reactions/emotions through the protagonist (or another important character.. as I've noticed him do), kind of opens our eyes to such situations in real life and lead us to analyze them similarly. Or at least, that's how it is for me; I don't know if you do or not though. [Smile]

Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D a r i u s
Member # 6551

I think you're right EurasianGirl
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno . . . sometimes after reading OSC I feel dumb, because I feel like I could never make those conclusions on my own.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EurasianGirl
Member # 6524

- posted      Profile for EurasianGirl   Email EurasianGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I feel like that too sometimes.

Have you ever noticed that all his characters always seem to know what the other is thinking, without seeming to have picked up any sign that hints at such thoughts?

As if, they understand each other on so much more complex levels than they choose to interact on; yet, this aspect thats evident in all of his fictional work is grounded in truth-- strong truths about human behavior and interaction, worded in such a way that leaves you wondering why we behave as we do sometimes.. And so far, I've felt this in all his works I've read.

Anyone out there to tell me I'm not alone in feeling this?

Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like the opposite of Robert Jordan's books -- in there, nobody knows what anybody is thinking, despite it being obvious.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindsay
Member # 6567

- posted      Profile for Lindsay   Email Lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree, but also I think that Osc sets it up, so you can figure it out, consequently making you feel a whole lot smarter.
I think you have said it! That is exactly it! I love good teachers.
Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkstripes
Member # 6566

- posted      Profile for pinkstripes   Email pinkstripes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well he writes it simply and clearly so that you can understand what he's talking about. And if you want to you can think more. I don't really notice feeling smarter, I just feel good and I think it's from reading a good story. I need to spend more time when it comes to military related stuff. Heh. It's not as easy to "get", but since he's clear in his writing I can make some sense of it after reading it a few times.
Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkstripes
Member # 6566

- posted      Profile for pinkstripes   Email pinkstripes         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I were as smart as some of the characters in the books. The ones that have a deep understanding of people.
Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
In reply to Darious::: I dunno if it's just me or not but one of the main reasons I read OSC is that I tend to feel a hundred times smarter while and after I read the book. I was wondering if anybody feels the same way:::

I agree with this statement 110 Percent. I read EG last year at the start of my sophmore year in high school. After reading this i noticed i was more focused on my work and i have recieved the best grades of my life this year. I am an average student say B's and C's. After reading Eg all my grades have skyrocketed to B's and A's. Eg has a definate effect on you. I told all my friends who really struggle with school to read this cause it will help you out.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Enderwillsaveusall: If you click the button that says Quote when you're writing a post, it'll make these cool little line things:
quote:
Just write the quote between the QUOTE and the /QUOTE.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
Midnightblue thanks i couldnt find the quote button until i realized that you only could quote when your posting a reply. On other forums you just go to the person you want to quote click quote and it copies it for you into the reply. But now i know how to do it [Smile] thanks
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.