FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » [Alvin Maker Series] I think I've missed something here

Author Topic: [Alvin Maker Series] I think I've missed something here
Hone Melgren
Member # 7340

- posted      Profile for Hone Melgren   Email Hone Melgren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just on the last few pages of the latest book of the Alvin maker series and i've gotten myself a little confused .

Throughout the book there is discussion about Alvin teaching people how to be makers .

Now I know i've read books 1 to 4 but i'm unsure if I have read book 5 or not . You see i can remember a few passages in the beginning so when i hired it from the library recently i immediately returned it thinking that i've read it (yes I got book 5 out before but i might of accidently returned it without finishing reading it)

When does this occur (ie Alvin giving classes and teaching people to be makers)?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, even if you have read book 5, there is something like a 6 year gap between it and Crystal City. Lots of stuff happens, some of which is documented in a short story or two that were published elsewhere.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Alvin was teaching Makery in book four (Alvin Journeyman) -- this led to the Amy Sump issue, you may recall. Alvin left, and Measure took over teaching.

Welcome to Hatrack, Hone.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hone Melgren
Member # 7340

- posted      Profile for Hone Melgren   Email Hone Melgren         Edit/Delete Post 
Well shucks you folks are right friendly like =) *sniff* *sniff*

So it seems I have missed something there . The part where Alvin is teaching makery - is it a major section where doodlebugs are explained and how you get one or is it just refered to in passing ?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
*some very minor spoilers below for those who haven't read the entire series*

Most of the makery teaching never got as far as doodlebugs -- Only Calvin and Arthur really make any use of them, and that wasn't from the classes. Calvin's use is notable in Heartfire, when it gets trapped accidentally in the net. I can't recall for sure, but I think Arthur's use of his isn't pointed out much before The Crystal City. But some of his "making" instruction from Alvin does occur in the two short stories (Grinning Man and Yazoo Queen) which occur between Heartfire and The Crystal City, so there may be more direct references to its use.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose-
Where can those short stories be found because if they are in anthologies or fantasy collections I would like to pick up copies. Thanks,
-0range7Penguin

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Legends and Legends II anthologies (second one not available in paperback yet, it appears).

Welcome to Hatrack, 0range.

--Pop

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.