FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Magic street and "outside space" connection?

Author Topic: Magic street and "outside space" connection?
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
*Spoilers for Xenocide*

Now i havn't read Magic Street yet, but i heard what Mr.Card had to say about it in Philly. People's darkest un-councious wishes coming true. Well at the end(ish) of Xenocide Ender travels to the outside with Miro and Ela. Miro getting a new body and Ender getting Young Val and Young Pete, kind of unconcious(except for Ela cause she was thinking of the design of the descolda to think of the new desease). Is there some kind of link between the two, i think there is.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Cruz
Member # 8332

- posted      Profile for Ben Cruz   Email Ben Cruz         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the book's the best way to answer your own question.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The link is:

I only have about five ideas, so they keep showing up in all my books.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
At least they're good ideas.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
But your ideas tend to be on the level of "people working to build communities are admirable" and "heroes are ordinary people standing up to extraordinary forces" and "marriage isn't easy, quick, or frivolous, but it's worth it" and "live honorably even with the little stuff until the answers to the tough stuff come naturally" and "everything has consequences" and other similar themes that run through everything you write.

Oh, and "make likeable characters and then give them the worst day they'll ever have." [Smile]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. You've got it. That's all I know, and now nobody ever has to buy another of my books. I think I'll make up your list, Chris, into a bookmark and give it away with my books. Or at least send it to all the students who write to me in a panic saying, "Mr. Card, what is the theme of Ender's Game!"
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
And yet you keep finding fun and interesting and maddening things to do with it all.

OK, I admit it, I just buy your books for the characters. The one thing that's similar about most of your protagonists is that not only would I like to know these people, I would like to be respected by these people. And yet they're not paragons of virtue who can't help but be Good. They're normal people with deep convictions who struggle just as hard, maybe harder, to be the sort of people they think they should be.

They they do stuff, I guess. [Smile]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"That's all I know, and now nobody ever has to buy another of my books."

Well, not quite. I can buy all the same paints that artists use but it's somehow not as satisfying as seeing what they do with them.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.