FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Lovelock LOST?

Author Topic: Lovelock LOST?
RyanINPnet
Member # 8363

- posted      Profile for RyanINPnet   Email RyanINPnet         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it has been posted anywhere, but, I recently read Lovelock, which Card wrote back in 1993 (I think), which claims to be volume 1 of a 3 part series and I cannot find the other two books anywhere. Does anybody know if OSC is going to finish writing the other two books in which he co-authored with Kathy Kidd?

PS If you have not read this book by Card READ IT! It is actually a very good read and I enjoyed it very much. That is the reason why I want to know if the others are coming!

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
The sequel(s) are planned, but don't expect to see them anytime soon. I believe the next book is tentatively called Rasputin.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Kathy is kind but irritated at the long delay - because the delay is my fault. Trouble is, I realize now, that I just don't like the family in the book anymore, and I can't see why Lovelock still cares about them. I want him to change owners. Or have the family situation change.

Anyway, the storyline of Lovelock and Rasputin etc. has NOT changed at all - it's only the surrounding milieu that is shifting. It WILL be written ... someday ... I promise!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
"When when when?" said Leaf Eater.

I know how it works. You will write it, but first you have to write this other book... and then this other one, for some good-sounding reason... and then right when you're finally going to write it, you up and die when you're hit by a car walking around a phone company van that's blocking the street.

And where does that leave us?

You know how when you like a food the grocery store stops stocking it? That's how it is with me and sequels.

Break the chain, Mr. Card! You have the power!

As for not liking the family... hey, I thought they were purposely crafted to be unlikable! [Here is where I started to write some suggestions on how we could get Lovelock into a different environment, but then I remembered that I'm an idiot.]

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I had thought the whole POINT of the family was that they were irritating and would eventually force a change of situation.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not only that the family is irritating; it's that the story is not believeable (to OSC) in the way that it needs to be in order for him to write it.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
So let's have the family killed unexpectedly in a tragic tomato-canning accident.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.