FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » One of the Reasons OSC is A Favorite Author (especially at Comic-Con!)

Author Topic: One of the Reasons OSC is A Favorite Author (especially at Comic-Con!)
Salah
Member # 7294

- posted      Profile for Salah   Email Salah         Edit/Delete Post 
For those who are familiar with Comic-Con International (the largest pop culture event in North America) it brings together all the great minds of movies, video games, and of course, sci-fi writers...

...OSC was on a panel discussing science and storytelling, and I have to say that out of all the distinguished award winning authors on the panel, OSC was the one who truly spoke in a way that the audience could understand and relate to.

While the authors were highly intelligent, they way they spoke was as times, genuinely confusing. After a particular author's elaborate scientific speech that was supposed to be HELPFUL to the audience I was left thinking: "and what you mean by all that is?..." Then OSC comes in-

Suddenly it all makes sense, and the listeners are actually able to gain knowlege from someone who is actually capable of being understood.

It was actually kind of amusing, as though OSC was at times the interpreter of the complicated language being used by the other panelists. (I don't mean to put the others down, I know they're gifted authors.)

I was pleased to discover that OSC is such an excellent speaker, and funny, those of you who have gone to book signings know what I'm talking about. (The signing I attended had the audience practially roaring with laughter.)

No wonder his books make such great reads, because just like the way he speaks, we are entertained, and allowed to think critically WITHOUT being lost in confusion.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard him say a few times that he thinks of himself as an entertainer and actor, and thinks of signings like performances. I don't know how common that is among sci-fi authors.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
that's interesting, Tom. I have noticed that he uses his "stage voice" when reading short passages from his works aloud at signings.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a signing in Northern Virginia back in March, accompanied by my husband, who has not read one word of anything Mr. Card has written. My husband came & sat with me, in spite of his general lack of interest in the whole thing, because it was my birthday and because he's a wonderful husband.

He loved the presentation. Mr. Card was funny and entertaining, and he has a knack (intentional, I'm sure) of turning in-group questions ("Do you think humans are ramen or varelse?") into answers that are funny, insightful, and completely comprehensible to someone who just happens to be in the audience and has no idea what those two words mean. I was impressed & delighted.

That kind of attitude toward Q & A makes sense, given Mr. Card's feelings about intentional obscurity in literature & respect for prose that is "transparent" & doesn't get in the way of the story. (I don't recall his exact words, but he praised Asimov for having that kind of writing style.)

So -- OSC signing=great date night! Who knew?

[Smile]

liz

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salah
Member # 7294

I agree with that. The person I took along thought that they would be kind of bored and the discussion would be over their head philosophical, but tis not so. The sociological observations he makes are priceless- and often hilarious.

I got the comment: "Ok now I understand why you would enjoy what he writes!"

Yep, exactly.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to hear OSC speak so badly...I imagine I'd love his speeches. Is there anywhere I can read his speeches?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz B-- I was at that signing! [Smile]
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
The one at Bailey's Crossroads? Are you from NoVa?

-l

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salah
Member # 7294

I think the video interview here on hat rack is the closest you can get to hearing one of his speeches and of course on-line interviews, those are always fun to read.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
You are all so nice. And here I thought that as the most ignorant of the authors on that science-in-sci-fi panel, I was the one least likely to be interesting. Thanks!

I don't really give speeches at my signings, though. That would imply preparation and research. I just take questions and babble and go off on tangents and lose track of what the original question was until the audience begs me to stop.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.