Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » May

Author Topic: May
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
No, not the month, the movie. Has anyone else seen this movie? I just watched it today and I think it's one of the best horror movies I've ever seen. If I were asked to describe it, I would say it combines a bit of magic realism with horror and black humour and then covers it all with a fine goth/punk sensibility. I'm at a bit of a loss to say anything more than that, to give specifics as to what makes it so creepilly horrific. Not because I can't give specific examples but because the movie is really a crazyquilt of scenes that work together wonderfully to make a seamless whole.

Gah. This isn't coming out right. Has anyone else seen this movie? How would you describe it?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deidra
Member # 5455

- posted      Profile for Deidra   Email Deidra         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds intresting can i rent it or is it in theaters?
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to Dee's comment. I've never even heard of it before, and I like to think I'm at least an average movie-buff. [Roll Eyes]

Sounds cool. *wants to know more*

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

It's not in the theaters. I rented it from Blockbuster.

Be warned that this movie pulls no punches. From the reviews on rottentomatoes.com, it seems like people either really like it or really hate it. There is no middle ground. I think the reason for this is because this *is* a horror film, a real horror film that unabashadly seeks to provoke feelings of revulsion and horror in the viewer on multiple levels, not through the easy route that most mainstream horror movies take of over-the-top supernatural, but horror along the lines of, say, a little girl eating a cockroach sandwich to gain the admiration of her peers.

That scene doesn't actually occur in the film, but I think it potrays something along the lines of what is in this film that explores the lengths that a wierd person will go to to find love and friendship. And because the main character is engaging in a goal that all of us can identify with, the viewer , in turn, sympathises with a profoundly handicapped character.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this on page 150 while looking for a cure for the April 6 2004 dobie attack [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
LAMEST.
DOBIE.
EVER.

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
But this one wasn't a dobie. Or is bumping a thread that would be a dobie if it hadn't come first now a dobie? Also, my secret dobie cabalieros, you know what to do!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Er...actually, I really am recommending people go see this movie.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.