FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calling Geoff, and other programmer types. I have a question.

Author Topic: Calling Geoff, and other programmer types. I have a question.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a co-worker that is an engineer who is raising his two children. Their mother died in a tragic car wreck a couple years ago. The son is in second grade but fascinated with computers. They have already built a simple robot.

The boy wants to design and program his own computer game. The father wants to help him do it because far be it from him to discourage the kid from reaching his goals.

The question is, are there any simple programming or 3-d software kits that would make a simple game possible?

I've had a little experience with Autodesk 3-D studio and Animator Pro, and I don't even know if Animator Pro is still around. 7 years ago when I was playing with them I preferred Animator, because it was simpler, if not as powerful as 3-D studio.

Back when my dad had an 8088 I remember that he had a kids program called Dr. Logo that taught me basic programming.

I'm sure the kid would be happy if he even was able to do something like the old Frogger game or such.

any ideas? I know you guys know a heck of a lot more than I do about this.

AJ

[ October 10, 2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
In my HS class, we used Borland, using c++ language. For programming games, it was relatively simple, but then again, I knew the code.

Are you just looking for something where he can draw an image, and say up means go foward, down means go back and just skip the whole coding all together?

PS- one of the easiest programmable games, I think, is snake. Very very simple.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to look into the various kid level graphics programming languages, which generally use turtles. Such as this one: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/jcom/turtle/

The most famous turtle programming language is Logo, and there are sites that help learn that in many places, such as here: http://www.kidscanprogram.com/ and here: http://mckoss.com/logo/ (this looks like a good one)

You might also look here, particularly the first link: http://www.kidsfreeware.com/school/study_prog.html

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
This has been around for a while, and I always thought it looked interesting. It looks like the kid would be able to get a little character walking around in an environment pretty quick...
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
There are several roleplaying kits and adventure game kits available on the market for free; the old Bard's Tale Construction set is now freeware, as is the TADS Editor.

Obviously, 3D shooters aren't lining up to make their engines available -- although I believe there ARE a few FPS kits out there, actually. Most of the people who're into this subsist on mods -- pretty much no one writes his own engine anymore -- and quite a few of the best games make free mod editors available for download.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The "turtle" language is the venerable logo language, in one of it's forms. It's good for making animated shorts and the like, but I'm not so sure it will work for fast-paced games.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I don't know how fast paced the game would be for a 2nd grader. I'm just going to e-mail the father the link to this thread so he can read all your great ideas.
(this doesn't mean you can stop coming up with ideas though) [Wink] !

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about "kid languages" but I would suggest basic. It's really simple and graphics are very easy (i.e. circle (10) draws a circle radius ten). Now if he actually wants 3D games that's another story. Listen to someone else for simple ideas, I didn't get into 3D until about 1.5 years of programming C++ and currently use the SDL media library to link to OpenGL which is probably a bit more complex than what you want. [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
May I alos suggest Mindstorm? It's this really cool lego set I got a few years back where you can actually program in various things, like how the motors react to different sensor input. If he liked building a robot he'd really like this. I don't know what it is now, but when I got it (4 years ago I think) it was over $200 so I don't know how well that works. I love it though! [Party]

[EDIT: linkage]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ October 10, 2003, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I highly suggest Logo as a good starting place; in particular, check out the second Logo link, it's a series of lessons for second graders.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yeah that one has lots of nice kid level tutorials in logo. Its much more sophisticated than when I had it though!

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Maybe this will give other parents ideas too.

Here's another cool kids and robots site I forgot existed. I've actually met the woman that started this too.

The KISS Institut for Practical Robotics.
http://www.kipr.org/

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really a programmer, so I can't help you with coding. But you may want to look into the modding community, too. Particularly games like Neverwinter Nights, and most RTSes, which come with all the editing tools for maps and scripted events.

When I was a kid, I had The Adventure Construciton Set, a game that let me easily create my own Ultima-style RPG adventures. I never really completed a project (which was par for the course for me at that age), but I had a lot of fun making objects and characters and worlds and dreaming about how fun being a game designer would be [Smile]

Someone really ought to make something like that today ...

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

<taking a break from what turned out to be a very busy day at work>

I'm wondering if I should mention role-play gaming to the father. I know some parents are still a little leery about it and the kid is only in 2nd grade

However if he goes with an RPG that has a lot of books published he would learn statistics and probability by osmosis, which would be useful for computer game programming. He'd also learn about plot story lines and how crucial they are, since plot lines are more essential to modern computer games as well. The only thing is a lot of the RPGs do have a lot of violence in them since so many of the stats are for weapons. On the other hand I'm not as familiar with the more fantasy based RPG's because Steve tends to play the Cyberpunk varieties.

I really need to meet the kid and see what he's actually like. Maybe after I get my tonsils out we can have them over to dinner or something. His father says he is bored in school and while homeschooling isn't really possible, he needs challenging fun things to do at home. It sounds like he is pretty serious about wanting to learn how to program though.

AJ

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the coolest things I ever had to do with Logo was make it do crazy stuff with the least amount of code possible. It was really cool to do all kinds of loops and other things that made that fweaking turtle FLY!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GradStudent
Member # 5088

- posted      Profile for GradStudent   Email GradStudent         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked with kids in a programming camp this summer. Lego Mindstorm is definitely the way to go. They have a very basic interface (as well as a more advanced one). But if the boy doesn't know any programming yet, this will teach him the basic concepts.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.