FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Which PS2 game?

Author Topic: Which PS2 game?
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a credit at the game store for trading in my N64, and I have no idea what to get. We've already got Dance Dance Revolution for exercise, and a baseball game that Mark's enjoying in the offseason, but I'm looking for something more mindlessly fun. But....

• I hate shooters. Period.
• I hate RPGs. Period. Nothing is more boring to me than turn-based attacks. And they always seem very foreign and incomprehensible to me.

So what else is out there? Are there any fun non-realistic racing games with endless replay value? Or strategy games that are worth spending money on?

Games I've enjoyed in the past:

Sim City/Civilization
All of the Mario's and Mario Kart
Blast Corps
Glider Pro
Shufflepuck Cafe
Crash Bandicoot (the first one)

I don't know... I'm looking for something a little more "meaty" than your usual platform game, something that really hooks me and glues me to the screen. Or something that has excellent replay value. Is there anything out there? Everything seems to be either sports, shooters, or rpgs. [Razz]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Does a tactical/stealth game count as a "shooter"? If no, then definitely grab yourself Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance. The story is very postmodern and is a departure from most game stories, but the gameplay is great, and the extra features you can get on the Substance release definitely justifies playing multiple times.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I hear the Klonoa games are fun. I played the demo for Klonoa 2 at Wal-Mart a while ago, and that was pretty fun.

There's also the SSX and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (Underground is out now, too) games, if you like those.

And, of course, Soul Calibur 2, though I think the Xbox version is better.

I also like the Dynasty Warriors games. Yeah, judging from your list of games, you might like this, though it does have some RPG elements (leveling up, health). It's not turn-based or anything like that, though.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I just remembered, the best platform I ever played was Oddworld on the XBOX. That was so much fun.

I'll go check out these other games!

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say DDR! But you already have it, so I'm out of ideas.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb Varns
Member # 946

- posted      Profile for Caleb Varns   Email Caleb Varns         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you might enjoy Devil May Cry (the first one, not the second). It's a pretty wicked action game that'll keep your eyes glued to the screen. The story kinda sucks, but when it comes to fun it's all that and a bag of chips. But then I usually prefer games where the point is getting your character to look cool.

[Smile]

Posts: 1307 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Metal Gear Solid 2. I've beaten that game about 30 times, and it is still one of the coolest games I've ever played.

I also liked Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3. I know there are two newer versions now, but I've only played 3. Great game, and it's cheap too.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Sim city rules!

I once played Crash Bandicout. I went crazy and just started drop-kicking the panda repeatedly, and got 100 lives. It was so cool! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Metal Gear Solid 2? Gimme a break. If she wanted to be bored to death by cut-scenes she would've mentioned. For cryin' out loud, you turn a corner - cut scene. Fire a bullet - cut scene! Leave a cut scene - CUT SCENE!!

[Wink]

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Kareoke revelotion is coming out sometime. It's made by the same people that made DDR.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.