FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Foods made for each other (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Foods made for each other
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else get the 3 lb tootsie assorted bag? Did anyone else have exactly 11 trick or treaters? (The weather in Utah was wretched that night). Did anyone else wind up with a bunch of tootsie candy which is mostly okay except for the Orange and Vanilla Flavor rolls? Well, it turns out they go together alright as a dreamsicle kind of combo.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Fools Made for Each Other
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
peanut butter and pretzles. These were often the only two things I ever had in my dorm room.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid, I used to put peanut butter, rice crispies, and raisins into little balls, and then cook them. They were SOOO good.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, in my sleepless state, read it as "Fools made for each other". Meaning you and the Tootsie Rolls.

I thought you were being a bit hard on the candy. [Razz]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
my mom made caramel corn late last night.

oh my gosh. food makes me so happy.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chandani
Member # 5879

- posted      Profile for Chandani   Email Chandani         Edit/Delete Post 
Roast beef, avocado, and sourdough bread.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
bacon and avacodo -- in almost any form (salad, sandwich, dip, soup).
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
oh my gosh. food makes me so happy.
Laffo.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

And now for a misbegotten creation of the bare larder. I was out of flour and peanut butter, so I attempted to make a flourless oatmeal bar. (Because, hey, you can make peanut butter cookies without flour). I guess it was okay. I think the cultural prohibition on eating nasal exudate made it a little difficult to savor.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Crisp jonathan apples, gouda cheese, and hot semolina bread, the crust still crisp from the oven. Best. Snack. Ever.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Mangos and sweet-salty coconut sticky rice.

buttered popcorn and hot tamales.

grapenuts, with orange juice on the side.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
buttered popcorn and hot tamales.
You're talking about the candies, right?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say enough about Chocolate Chip Cookies and Coke. I'd rather have Coke with my Choc Chip Cookies than milk. (Please no lame cocaine jokes)

I also like ice cream and bread. Most kinds of bread, but especially breadsticks. Mmmm.. Not seasoned ones, though, that's icky. Just butter.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
You're talking about the candies, right?
Nope, I'm talking about a corn on corn experience!

Yes, I mean the candies.

Cookies and coke? My wife loves cookies and Dr. Pepper, but somehow I find the combination revolting. The only sweet food/sweet drink combination that I like is pancakes or waffles with orange juice.

When I was a kid I used to insist on hot tang with my pancakes, waffles, and grape nuts, but it's been a long time since I've tried that. I like the tang to be near boiling. I was kind of a strange kid, I think.

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
oreos and dr. pepper... oh that is so good.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
There are foods we've discovered do NOT go together.

I once tried a test marketed new yeast beer. It tasted like Banana Beer.

Worst of all, in a pickup poker game with some friends, the only thing we had to use as chips came from a hotel vending machine. Someone brought a bag of M&M's. Someone else brought a bag of Skittles. They made good chips, as long as you didn't eat your winnings.

When you did eat your winnings, you had to be very careful. The two candies look remarkably alike, but: the Chocolaty goodness of M&M's does NOT go well with the tart/sweet goodness of Skittles.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Mmmm..."S" and "M"
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

quote:
I was kind of a strange kid, I think.
1. we all think

2. kid? was?

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did anyone else wind up with a bunch of tootsie candy which is mostly okay except for the Orange and Vanilla Flavor rolls?
Are you saying that you actually like regular Tootsie Rolls? I thought they were one of those candies that everybody buys but nobody likes, like candy corn and Smarties. The non-chocolate Tootsie Rolls are the only ones that are really worth eating.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I like regular tootsie rolls and candy corn.
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Smarties
I love Smarties. One of my favorite candies.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

There are people who don't like regular Tootsie Rolls? Now I've seen it all.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you saying that you actually like regular Tootsie Rolls? I thought they were one of those candies that everybody buys but nobody likes, like candy corn and Smarties. The non-chocolate Tootsie Rolls are the only ones that are really worth eating.
Further proof that Jon Boy is weird.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

How do I know that you guys aren't the weird ones, huh?

I'm normal. I swear I am.

[Angst]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, here is the ultimate: ciabatta bread, balsamic vinaigre (how do you spell that in english? vinager? vinagar?), fresh basil, tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella.

Another favorite: dark chocolate, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, mango. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It's vinegar, spelled just like it sounds. [Wink]
Frisco
Member # 3765

Regular Tootsie Rolls are sold everywhere, all year round.

I never see the assorted packs except around Halloweentime.

That says something, I think.

[Vinegar, Annie.]

Ayuk the Gourmand
Member # 5890

- posted      Profile for Ayuk the Gourmand   Email Ayuk the Gourmand         Edit/Delete Post 
ribbons of green, raw papaya, mixed with an incindiary chili-lime liquid (also known as som tam).

I'll have to try that dark chocolate, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, mango combination. Any suggestions in terms of proportions or anything? Is sounds delicious.

Milk chocolate and oranges go together well. By itself I much prefer dark chocolate, but with an orange, only milk chocolate will do. Oh, and the orange should be room temperature or so, or the chocolate won't melt right in your mouth.

goat cheese, grapes, and stoned wheat thins go together will as well.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oops. That was me. Forgot to log out of my new throw-away joke account.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Steak and potatoes.

Or steak and rice.

For a delicious dinner,

Cubed top round steak, marinated in a olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, rosemary paste. Serve over jasmine rice, with a fresh garden salad.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I love tootsie rolls, smarties (mmmm. powdery.), candy corn, and those candy corn writ large -- the mellowcream pumpkin. Of course, I also like peeps so perhaps I don't have much credibility in this area.

[what you do see, is you take the container of peeps bunnies and you grab a knife and make a slit in the plastic covering along one edge of the box and then you let the peeps sit for a day or two and get a littly crusty. Semi-stale peeps totally rock.]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Zal, you like peeps? And you think *I* was/am strange?

Peeps are, officially, an abomination.

Now you know.

Annie
Member # 295

mmm... goat cheese.

Hey - i haven't had lunch

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

for hours of fun:

buy a package of the yellow, standard chicken-shaped, peeps.

Place them, one at a time, in a microwave with a large viewing window. Sit back and enjoy.

pooka
Member # 5003

I went through a manic phase a few years back when I wanted to eat granola with Prego spaghetti sauce on it. Also the draining from olive cans heated to 98.6 degrees.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Now that is fun. I've never actually nuked a peep before, but I've microwaved plenty of marshmallows, and they're basically the same thing. If you hurry, after the marshmallow comes out of the microwave, you can use a toothpick to sculpt it into interesting shapes. It hardens in less than a minute, though, so you have to work fast.

Anybody ever had a real marshmallow? Not the corn syrup things we grew up on, but the sweetened paste made from marshmallow root? I never have, but I'd like to try it.

katharina
Member # 827

steamed rice with peas and guacamole

I went a little my freshman year when I could eat anything I wanted.

Annie
Member # 295

No, but I have eaten grasshoppers.
Frisco
Member # 3765

Wasabi dried peas and cubed Munster cheese.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Real marshmallow? Qu'est-ce que c'est que ca?
Noemon
Member # 1115

scrambled eggs with fish sauce mixed in, cooked in a fair amount of vegetable oil, topped with Sriratcha sauce, and sprinkled with fresh cilantro.
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmm...stale peeps. [Big Grin]

Wow Annie, those two suggestions sound amazing! (I am also rather hungry at the moment. I forgot to bring a lunch with me to campus today.)

*Reminds self to dig up some of those old threads with Annie's cool recipes on them later sometime*

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quick mango crepe recipe:

whisk 6 eggs, 2 cups milk, 1/2 cup raw or brown sugar, 2 cups flour, and 4 tablespoons butter (no margarine) you've melted in your crepe pan. Add some vanilla.

Pour mxture, 1/3 cup at a time, into an 8-10 in pan at med-hi, rotating as you pour to spread out. flip in a few seconds, re-grease pan with butter when necessary.

Cut 5 or 6 mangoes (really, I have no concept of quantity [Razz] ) and cook them in a saucepan with 1/2 cup or so of raw sugar and cinnamon. Cook until they get mushy - mush them up some more.

Melt dark chocolate on a double boiler, add cinnamon and cayenne pepper to taste, add a little milk once chocolate is melted so it won't solidify again.

Put mango mush in crepes, drizzle with chocolate, and sprinkle with powdered sugar out of a tea strainer.

MMMMM-mmmm.

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
ooh, that sounds heavenly!

What about the other one? Do you have a recipe for that one? (I'd try and be creative myself and put the ingredients together on my own, but I'm afraid of what might happen. [Wink] )

Edit: Oh, and does one make ciabatta bread, or can you get it at the store? [Blushing]

[ November 07, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Further proof that Jon Boy is weird.
As a tootsie roll abuser, I want to second or (I lost track here) at least affirm that.

The hardest part of the seven years I wore braces wasn't the pain, the additional oral hygiene, etc. It was having to abstain totally from tootsie rolls the whole time.

Further clarification request: When saying Jon Boy (or anyone for that matter) do we mean that in a good way or a bad way? Or just a weird way?

[Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I have yet to successfully make ciabatta - I buy it at my friendly local bakery, On the Rise.

There's no secret recipe - you just assemble it into a sandwich. You can also make a yummy pasta salad with the aforementioned ingredients and a little salt and olive oil over penne pasta. Mmmmmm.

bCurt
Member # 5476

- posted      Profile for bCurt   Email bCurt         Edit/Delete Post 
Rasberries and Dark Chocolate.

Hot Chocolate and Toast.

Peanut Butter and Bananas (in a sandwich).

Peas and Water - the water is to swallow the nasty peas so I don't have to taste them.

Barbeque Beef Brisket and Cole Slaw.

A Dr. Pepper and a Snickers.

Man....I didn't think I was hungry, but...

[ November 07, 2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: bCurt ]

Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Pepper and cheese crackers with peanut butter inside. You know which ones I mean, the orange crackers sandwiching the peanut butter, coming in a package of six. Mmm...chemical-y...

Bread and a carrot.

Coffee and cigarettes. Oh, okay, cigarettes aren't a food. Okay then, coffee and cake. *smile*

Blood and Weetabix ("The Weetabix gives the blood texture"--Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Yes, I am twelve).

French fries and Ranch dressing. Just about anything and Ranch dressing.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bCurt
Member # 5476

- posted      Profile for bCurt   Email bCurt         Edit/Delete Post 
No garlic, Annie?
Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.