FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » See you all in dayton!

Author Topic: See you all in dayton!
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
This has been discussed in a lot of off topic and unrelated threads so lets put it all together here. Dayton is this Thursday. Who's going?

I'll be leaving work around 4:00 and making my way there. I should arive around 5:30 depending on traffic.

See you there.

[ November 20, 2003, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
As you know I will be there about the same time. Look for a tall geeky looking guy with Crystal City in his hands. Early 40's with dark hair going grey.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

quote:
geeky looking guy with Crystal City in his hands
No offense to the great people on this site but... Isn't this kind of like a blade of grass saying "I'm the long green one"

Along the same lines, I'll be the short guy with glasses, a balding buzz cut and a soul patch. I've also decided that I'll probably be wearing a star wars t-shirt that says "let the wookie win" just to be more easily identified by anyone who cares.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
i'll be the girl that looks like i'm trying to be a geek. *sigh*

i'm also shooting for 5:30ish.

so is it just the three of us?

[edit: and i actually WON'T be holding a copy of The Crystal City...it's not in the budget. [Frown]

[ November 18, 2003, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

I might carry a sign that says Hatrack on it. Look for me. I am tall, 6'4" and medium build.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things that hold me back from introducing myself to other members of hatrack, is the fact that my screen name is very hard to pronounce, I guess. So, its cyrus, as in billy ray cyrus, eh, as in canandian eh?. Cyruseh. Anyways, I'll probably show up around 5:00 to 5:30. I'll probably have a box on me, with all my analogs, that I want to have signed, and a couple other books I have aquired since the last signing. Blonde hair, brown beard. Maybe wearing a shirt that says, "camp golgotha".

Hope to see you there! (behind me in line, of course [Smile] )

[ November 18, 2003, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: cyruseh ]

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Are you coming to the Dayton signing?

I am actually going to wait until the end to get my book signed. I am going to bring a book along that I am going to give to OSC so that he can read it. It is about the inventors who lived in Dayton around the 1900's. I always thought that Dayton was a City of Makers.

msquared

beatnix19
Member # 5836

That books sounds interesting. Any major/important inventions come out of Dayton?
cyruseh
Member # 1120

msquared,

Though I am from cincinnati, I share some of the fondness for dayton, but it really is for all of ohio. Ohio is the best state, period. [Smile]

Usually, I would go up to the dayton one as well, as I did last time, but this year, I will have a class on thursday night, so will not be able to go. Friday it is!

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

major inventions out of Dayton??? aeroplanes for starters!!
cyruseh
Member # 1120

Well, i guess you could argue that point, but the wright brothers certainly brought airplanes in to the public arena.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Ok, other than the obvious, are their any major/important inventions from Dayton. Sorry, I have family in Dayton and kind of take the Write brothers as a given. Expl: Write State & Write Patterson AFB. I am not a complete moron, although my wife would argue that.
msquared
Member # 4484

List of Dayton inventions:

Dayton has a rich heritage of innovation and creativity. The Wright Brothers and Paul Laurence Dunbar are not the only pioneers who used Dayton as their creative breeding ground. Here are some of the Dayton-based inventions and people that have helped change the world.

Vincent C. Apple - Isolated home/farm electric lighting system
John Balsley - Stepladder
Rufus Currier Bossard -Photoelectric cell - the black light
John Birden and Kenneth Jordan - Radioisotopic thermoelectric generator for spacecraft
Frank Caldwell- Controllable pitch propeller
Carl Carlson - Microfiche
Dr. William Hale Church - Cellophane tape
E. R. Churchwell - Collapsible portable crib
Leland Clark - Human heart-lung machine
Luzern Custer - Motorized wheelchairs
Tom Edwards - Walker attachment for wheelchairs
E. T. Fraze- Pull tab and pop top beverage cans
Arthur Frei - Ice cube tray with ejector mechanism
Harvey Dunn Geyer - Automotive & refrigeration equipment
Lt. Col. Roger Gounard - Smart fan - operates based on changes in temperature
Barrett Green - Micro-encapsulation
Wayne Hardy - Goniometer - measures location of thalamus for surgery
Max Issacson - Manually operated external heart machine and expiratory valve
John Janning - Liquid crystal alignment methodology
C. Francis Jenkins - Movie projector, movie camera, movie film and movie theatre
Warren Kampf - Multiple array continuous ink jet printer
Charles F. Kettering - Automobile starter and over 300 other patents
F. D. Klein - 100 Octane aviation fuel
Fred Kohnle - Price tag affixing machines
Geoffrey Kruesi - Directional compass with dual radio beam triangulation system
Maurice Krug - Space food
Sidney Lambden - Flexible radiator hoses and wire impregnated sweeper hoses
William Lear - Learmatic electrostatic gyroscope
George H. Leland - Lighted scoreboard, Leland refractor, rotary and linear
E. F. McDonald - Solenoid
William McHose - Incentive stamps
Alfred Mellowes - Self-contained refrigerator
Thomas Midgely- Ethyl leaded gasoline
John Morton - Parking meters
Dr. Sanford Moss - Airplane supercharger
Tom Payne - Official building mail chutes
Dr. Jerrold Petrofsky - Electrically stimulated ambulatory motion
James Ritty - Cash register
Daniel Webster Schaeffer - Gas masks
Henry Seeler - Portable breathing resuscitator
Albert H. Smith - Computing scale for butchers and grocers
Floyd Smith - Parachute
John P. Tytus - Process of continuous rolling of wide strip steel manufacturing
Orville & Wilbur Wright - Airplane, controls for rudder, elevator, wing lift shape

Other Inventions:

Airplane ejection seats
Artificial heart
Artificial kidney
Automobile air bags
Bionic Organs
Blind solo flight
Carbonless copy paper
Chrome plating
Double glass windows
Electric cash register
Farm lighting system
Filter cigarettes
Fixed-focus headlights
Frost-proof freezer
Fuzzbuster & radar detectors
Ice cream cone
Laser weapons
Liberty engine
Night serial photography
Quick process malleable iron
Room air conditioner
Nuclear powered heart pacemaker
Glass photographic negatives
Instant blood-glucose level testing
Computerized aircraft loading system

Just a few.

msquared

msquared
Member # 4484

This book I am talking about is mainly about Kettering, James Cox, James Patterson of NCR and the Wright Brothers.

msquared

cyruseh
Member # 1120

Im sorry beatnix, I thought that it had just escaped you, about the Wright brothers. [Smile] no offense meant, I promise.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

WOW! You take so many of those items for granted(spelling?) Sounds like a really interesting book. You'll have to let me check it out before you give it to OSC.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

cyruseh -

None taken. Didn't mean to sound offended. some times I forget that people can't hear the tone of my voice as I type. [Smile] But for future reference, I'm usually a smart a--.

[ November 18, 2003, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
cyruseh, does that mean you will be at the Cincinatti signing?

I have talked to the lady at Barnes and Noble and I am supposed to call her on Thursday. She is going to set aside numbers for me for the group that is coming from out of town. Right now I think we have a total of 7, I can add you to the list for a guaranteed number if you want it.

Also you are welcome to par-tay or have dinner with us after the signing.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

hmm, i was planning on going up there on thursday to see if i could get a number, but wasnt sure if they would give me one. Do you know what numbers shes going to reserve for you?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

No I don't know exactly what numbers, she said to call her a day before, and she'd hold a block though. I'm of mixed emotions. I don't know if I actually want a really "low" number because I think it will be fun rubbing elbows with all the OSC fans.
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

Yes, I know what you mean, I figure i will be there for the whole event anyways... So im in the same boat as you. I guess, if you can, go ahead and add me to the reserve block. Thanks!
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Will do. You'll have to find us when we get there though. You can e-mail me if you have a cell phone number and I'll send you mine so we can contact each other.

I wonder if we will all just be somehow magnetically drawn together without using modern technology but I'm not entirely willing to leave it up to chance!

AJ

beatnix19
Member # 5836

Well, Signing is tomorrow. Seems there are only going to be a few of us there from Hatrack. But just in case... Anyone else?

See you all there tomorrow!!!!!!!!

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I wonder if we will all just be somehow magnetically drawn together without using modern technology but I'm not entirely willing to leave it up to chance!"

I'm probably going to sound like a broken record -- anyone remember what those are? -- on this one, but I've often found it useful to bring balloons to gatherings of this sort. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Records? Aren't those big black CD's with a bunch of groves in them? I think I saw one of those at a museum once. [Smile]

Balloons? is this a serious suggestion?

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
A balloon is an excellent idea. It's a relatively unusual item for a person to be carrying in a book store, so it's unlikely that there will be a lot of balloon carrying fans, but it's fairly easy to acquire, and would be visible from virtually anywhere in the crowd. It's a simple, cheap signaling device.

Does OSC ever mention Hatrack at these things? I've never been to one of his signings.

[ November 19, 2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koryu
Member # 5922

- posted      Profile for Koryu   Email Koryu         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rufus Currier Bossard -Photoelectric cell - the black light
I missed this. Ravers everywhere thank you, Ohio.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

See everyone today who's going!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.