FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hard to believe (or why people shouldn't forward me e-mails)

Author Topic: Hard to believe (or why people shouldn't forward me e-mails)
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I get this e-mail, which annoys the daylights out of me.

It came with a picture of the stamp and everything.

quote:
This one is impossible to believe. Scroll down for the text. If there is one thing you forward today.....let it be this.

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of PanAm Flight 103!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the Marine barracks in Lebanon!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the military barracks in Saudi Arabia!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the American Embassies in Africa!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the USS COLE!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM attack on the Twin Towers on 9/11/2001!

REMEMBER all the AMERICAN lives that were lost in those vicious MUSLIM attacks!

Now the United States Postal Service REMEMBERS and HONORS the EID MUSLIM holiday season with a commemorative first class holiday postage stamp!!!

REMEMBER to adamantly and vocally BOYCOTT this stamp when purchasing your stamps at the post office. To use this stamp would be a slap in the face to all those AMERICANS who died at the hands of those whom this stamp honors.
REMEMBER to pass this along to every patriotic AMERICAN you know.

So, in return, I hit reply all, not only on the copy that was sent to me, but also to everyone that was on the attachment list, as well.

quote:
This is actually true. However, the stamp was issued 10 days before 9/11.

Also, the below was written on the Urban Legend web page.

The word "eid" is roughly equivalent to the English word "celebration" or "festival." The three-day Eid al-Fitr celebrates the end of the month-long fasting of Ramadan; the three-day Eid al-Adha commemorates the willingness of the Prophet Abraham to sacrifice his son Ishmael in response to God's command, and it marks the end of Hajj, the annual Muslim pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca. In both 2001 and 2002 (by the Gregorian calendar) Eid al-Fitr fell in December, so the USPS issued the Eid stamp to coincide with other entries in their "Holiday Celebrations" series which commemorate holidays (Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa) occurring around the same time of year.

The Eid stamp is not a "semi-postal" issue sold for a price higher than the first-class postage rate in order to raise money for a particular cause (as the breast cancer stamp is), and all the revenues from the stamp's sales go to the USPS. In no way will buying this stamp help to fund terrorists (unless they're working for the USPS), so boycotting the Eid stamp is purely a symbolic act.

Should we boycott a stamp commemorating Islamic holidays as "a slap in the face to all those Americans who died at the hands of those whom this stamp honors" because some Muslims have perpetrated attacks against Americans, even though not all Muslims are terrorists (or support terrorism, or despise the USA), and America itself is home to millions of Muslims? The President of the United States apparently doesn't think so, as President Bush has extended greetings, issued messages, and participated in commemorations of both Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha (even after the September 11 attacks), and the White House web site promotes the Eid stamp as well. If it's appropriate for the President to honor these holidays, it ought to be appropriate for the United States Postal Service and the American public as well. If it's not appropriate for the President to honor these holidays, then Americans should be expressing their dissatisfaction through actions a little stronger than merely boycotting a postage stamp.

Like I said, that was from Urban Legends which can be found at http://www.snopes.com

Unless I'm mistaken, every Christian isn't judged by the wacko fringe groups who murder OB/GYNs who perform abortions, or Fred Phelps. Do you really want to judge all Muslims by their fanatical fringe? If you followed the advice, and forwarded the e-mail, I certainly hope you'll do the same with this one.

When will my mother-in-law learn?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully after that reply! [Big Grin]
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
But Kayla, it MUST be TRUE. That's why it's all CAPITILISED. People don't emphasise words like that unless they are TRUE. I mean, that's why it's so CONVINCING.

Seriously, good work on the reply. Usually I just delete those kinds of emails - but I might start following your example. [Smile]

[ November 22, 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ignorance of the deliberate sort should be a hanging crime.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to educate there. Bravo!
Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate people sometimes. I can't believe someone would perpetuate something like this. I would have added that everyone should feel ashamed of themseves for contributing to anti-arab muslim racism.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
WHy do people seek to plague, beguile and stress me out?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

Because we love you?
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Kayla! *applauds*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
That just really ****ing rocked.
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I get emails like that from my brother all the time. I usually delete them because i don't have the ammunition to respond. Plus, my brother is steadfast in his narrow-mindedness. We're talking KJV ONLY taken literally word for word, Harry Potter is satanic, and don't get me started on homosexuals.

I love my brother. I admire his dedication to his God, his family, and his country (he's 16 years in the Navy). I just can't bring myself to be taken in by his "knowledgeable" rants any longer.

So, Kayla, next email I get from him (complete with all-capped words) can I send it to you so you can broaden his horizons? Kidding. Great job, though. I wish I were so articulate.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Go Kayla !
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoop-de-friggin'-do. Wow, let me pat your back for stickin' it to those stupid people! You deserve some kind of medal or something.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.....

::pats Kayla on the back::

::gives Kayla a medal::

(Edited... Yeah, cynicism is world weary and oh-so-cool. Yet, somehow I'm more impressed by people doing something more active against prejudice.)

[ November 23, 2003, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

It's not the fact that she's being "active against prejudice." It's the fact that she felt the need to post it here.

I can only see one reason for doing that: accolade. She doesn't leave anything open for discussion- it's just a "hey, check out this cool thing I did" post. Who cares? That was what the "whoop-de-freakin'-do" was all about.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoop-de-freakin'-doo. PC's whining. What else is new?

I expect you to be thorough in your new self-appointed thread policing.

Next time someone posts in the potry thread, or Chris Bridges starts a thread about his editorials, or anyone anywhere posts something they've written or begins a thread that isn't meant to start a debate, you'll be there.

Like a Hatrack Caesar, your "whoop-de-freakin'-doo" will be your equivalent of a thumbs-down.

On the down side, you'll probably be stabbed in the back relatively soon.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Et tu Frisce
Frisco
Member # 3765

I'm sure Brutus remembered Caesar's name, and they didn't even have Friendster back then. [Wink]

And you just watch it with the hugs, CT. I know enough jujitsu to fling you over to PWeb.

And kudos, Kayla, for taking the time to include a diatribe with your link. I'm usually too lazy to do anything but reply with the link to snopes.

[ November 23, 2003, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I'm not afraid of you. I have people repellant (aka: a tendency to get snippy on threads for wholly hypocritical reasons.)
Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
I'm feeling my oats today.
I have no clue as to what this entails, but I'm almost certain that I should be blushing.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
And now back to Kayla.

[Blushing]
(I shouldn't be allowed to post before I have coffee. I deleted all that may have been incriminating, but behave, you two -- or I'll be back.)
[Wink]

[ November 23, 2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
And by the way, Kayla, good for you for putting these fools in their place. [Mad]
I don't understand why half of the country has to be ignorant.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Synesthesia,

So we, the other half, have someone to laugh at?

Just a thought.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

Sometimes it's more like cringing, though.
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont like the forwards with pictures. They're usualyl depressing. I got one about drunk driving and it had pictures... *cringes* The ones that etll you that you've gotten free money or free gifts are just weird. THen there are those that have morals and they're pretty neat. I prefer the ones with jokes though, they're usually or at least witty.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.