FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mrs Card! Look here, please! (name the ChicagoCon) (Page 0)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Mrs Card! Look here, please! (name the ChicagoCon)
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose we can look at hotels near the Grant Park area....
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sheraton hotel (I was wondering if that was what you were thinking of xnera) is next to the Arlington Heights Race track. There is actually quite a bit of greenspace around there.

We probably should check the race track schedule and make sure there are no major stakes races then? Also it is within walking distance of the metra though the metra is on the opposite side of the race track. It is that borderline distance where a shuttle would be nice but not necessary.

For rivka, can you take public transportation on the sabbath? If not the best solution might be to put you on before sabbath and send you to your cousins and then retrieve you afterwards.

xnera if we do have it at the Sheraton I'm willing to help out with supplies etc since you know I live right there.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

here's your trip planner...

http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And there are always discount packages, I've never paid a rack rate yet
Ooh - ask if they have a 'Rack rate [Razz]

Personally, if I'm spending money to go to Chicago, I'd rather spend the time seeing as much of Chicago as I can, rather than as much of a hotel conference room in a Chicago suburb that I can. But that's just me.

I would love a day at the Art Institute and the Field Museum (yay Field Museum!) and another morning or afternoon spent downtown. (One must eat at Gino's and scribble on the walls when one is in Chicago)

..but this said, I tend to be the type of person who spends every minute of a vacation walking around exploring new places, and this can wear people out. And of course I want to spend time with as many Jatraqueros as possible.

My proposal: Plan outings during the days, and then plan fun social Jatraquero things during the nights. One of these things should totally be a white elephant exchange [Razz]

And another favor - can we pretty please have a t-shirt design contest? Let's name this thing fast so I can make a cool t-shirt design.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't elephants grey or pink? [Wink] Where did you find a white one, and how doy you get it on the plane?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooo! T-shirt! ::applauds Annie's idea::

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Would Eros Con give folks entirely the wrong idea?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Like WenchCon didn't [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One of these things should totally be a white elephant exchange
Yes!

white elephant exchange
thousand ideas in an hour
karaoke (we have to. You should have heard the harmonies during "Yellow Submarine")

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I personally like

Con Jatraqueros

"Where you hang your hat"

Or Chicago Con Jatraqueros

But I do like the Sombrero idea too.

AJ

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
It's too bad we couldn't call it ZomboCon. It would be a very welcoming name.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Now is this on a weekend or during the week?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering how many people work, I'm thinking it's going to be on the weekend + a day or two before/after.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe.. ZomboCon really WOULD sum up the experience... :giggles:

"Welcome to ZomboCon! You can do anything at ZomboCon! Anything at all! The only limit is yourself!"

[ January 23, 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

as said previously in the thread the planned for date is August 13-15...

AJ

Annie
Member # 295

How about the DotCon? DorkCon? AnnieCon?

Oooh, I like the sound of that one...

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Ooh - and if there's Karaoke, I'm becoming Shakira. Just thought I'd give everyone fair warning.
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Annie's idea about doing stuff in Chicago during the day and getting all the 'rackers together at night. I definitely want to see the city, go up in the Sears Tower, visit musems, etc. We should prolly split into groups who want to tour the city and groups who want to sit around and talk.

At the Portland get together there seemed a good dynamic of letting one Ralphie/Narnia type of personality be in each group to take care of decisions, maintaining conversations, etc. And we should have one person in each group who knows their way around the city as well. Jatraqueros who have already met can figure out who those people are.

So we need:
  • a definite date(as in calendar date [Razz] ) for the weekend.
  • a guestlist
  • accomodations. One place or several?
  • events to be held at night, and the location(s) of said events.
  • groups of people to be doing things together during the day (wandering around a strange city is more fun with other people!).
  • some other thing(s) that I'm prolly forgetting.
It looks like some of these things have been talked about already, but they can't be decided without a definite date or guestlist. Once we get a core guestlist, we can make all the main decisions and other people who want to come can adapt or we can alter the plan slightly. Someone from Chicago should be the one in charge...
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I don't think JNSB is reading ALL of the above posts to the thread -- or he would know we pretty much have the date set, and that xnera offered to be coordinator....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
So this morning before work I did a quick SmartPages search for synagogues and Mormon churches (that's what you call them, right? Temples are for the special occasions, right?) and there's some of each in the area, about 15 minutes away by car. Also, Busse Woods forest preserve is just a couple exits down 53. I'd be up for a hike sometime. Oh, and Annie, there's also a Gino's East in the area (um, on Algonquin I think). And yeah, we definitely have to go for pizza. I will not let y'all come to Chicago without having some REAL pizza while you are here.

Of course, this is all assuming we end up at the Sheraton. It might be worth looking into the hotels downtown, especially if we are going to go to the museums and whatnot. Though last time I got prices for this sort of thing, it seemed like the downtown hotels were more expensive that the suburban ones.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh Chicago!

City of a thousand Kites...

I think kiteflying should definitely be on someones itinerary

Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

One cool thing to do is watch the sun set from the Hancock center. My friends who have been up both say the view is actually better from the hancock building than the sears tower.

They have a bar (smoking allowed) on the floor below the observatory. And it is cheaper to buy a non-alchoholic drink (though it will cost like $5) than pay for the observatory the story above.

AJ

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I hope the dates are secure and I hope something is happening, because we plan on being in Chicago from the 11th or 12th to the 15th, whether anything happens or not. Our tickets haven't been purchased yet, but the wheels are in motion.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Farmgirl wrote: I don't think JNSB is reading ALL of the above posts to the thread -- or he would know we pretty much have the date set, and that xnera offered to be coordinator....
Actually, I did read all of the above posts and I knew that dates had been mentioned, but as Pop implied in the above post, we haven't set it in stone. FG herself said in the middle of page 5 that it was a tentative, but maybe she just meant that it was tentative that she was coming. Since we don't even know who's coming for sure, how can we get their opinions on dates and coordinator? Some people may have to wait til the weekend to find time to post.

As for xnera being coordinator, that's fine by me! I saw that AJ and others had also posted regarding the Chicago area as well so I didn't know if they were going to co-chair it or not. [Smile] I guess I'll just wait the thread out 'til we have "stone" dates so that I can make travel and financial plans, and when it begins to gel I can email the coordinator(s).

I hope the dates are secure, too. I wanna meet the famous Papa Moose and family!

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

There is no freakin' way I am going to plan this whole thing by myself. I'm willing to do the brunt of the work, but believe me, as time gets closer I will be shoving some responsibilities onto other people. You have been warned.

Oh, and hey, this is my 800th post. w00t. Maybe I *will* hit 1000 because this century ends.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Karen, I'd be happy to help with more than a few of the calls. Drop me an E-mail and we'll coordinate duties.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
JatreqCon?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents have agreed that I can go IF I have a job by then and IF I can get time off of it. So basically, unless something goes horribly wrong, I'm able to go. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

how 'bout ChiConGo? HatConRack? RathackCon (we could put it on T shirts and say there was a mixup at the printers')?

Ooh, 'nother T shirt idea! We could put Alvin from the cover of Crystal City in a Star Trek uniform and yelling, "Con! Cooooooooooon!" (sounds like Khan) with the Chicago skyline in the background. [Wink]

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Geekcon?

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ja-cagoCon.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
UnmentionedConvention
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
And yes, I totally want to come...

If I do come, I will be bringing the new baby. My older 2 will stay home with Daddy...with Opa (my dad) filling in.

My list of demands: Non-smoking room, baby and I get a bed. That's it. I don't mind sharing a room, as long as the people sleeping there don't mind 3am feedings. [Big Grin] On the other hand, I also would not be offended in the least if nobody wanted to bunk with a 3 month old baby.

I'll probably want to share driving responsiblities with somebody...it's a long way. I don't mind using my van (it has 7 seat belts)if enough people want a ride (I'd be driving from Tulsa, OK). Alternatively, I'd consider hitching a ride (Bob, did I see you volunteer?).

So...never having been to one of these things, just how much money will I need to tuck away for this? If BB (BoonBaby) and I go everywhere and do everything planned, how much will it all cost? Plan on, say, $100 a day? What think you wiser, more experienced Con-goers?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
August 12-15 or whatever works for me. My birthday's on the 9th, but it gives me plenty of time after my birthday to regroup.

quote:
I agree with Annie's idea about doing stuff in Chicago during the day and getting all the 'rackers together at night. I definitely want to see the city, go up in the Sears Tower, visit musems, etc. We should prolly split into groups who want to tour the city and groups who want to sit around and talk.

At the Portland get together there seemed a good dynamic of letting one Ralphie/Narnia type of personality be in each group to take care of decisions, maintaining conversations, etc. And we should have one person in each group who knows their way around the city as well. Jatraqueros who have already met can figure out who those people are.

So we need:
a definite date(as in calendar date ) for the weekend.
a guestlist
accomodations. One place or several?
events to be held at night, and the location(s) of said events.
groups of people to be doing things together during the day (wandering around a strange city is more fun with other people!).
some other thing(s) that I'm prolly forgetting.
It looks like some of these things have been talked about already, but they can't be decided without a definite date or guestlist. Once we get a core guestlist, we can make all the main decisions and other people who want to come can adapt or we can alter the plan slightly. Someone from Chicago should be the one in charge...

One of the things we could do:

I can teach people the basics of swing dancing, and then one of the nights we could go to an actual swing dance. They're a ton of fun to go to, whether you're dancing or simply watching, and they aren't very expensive.

Also, I'd be happy to share some of the planning duties as well, if needed.

And not having gone to that gathering, I'm not exactly sure what a Ralphie/Narnia personality is, but I've met tons of hatrackers at OSC's writer's class, Endercon, Shadow Puppets signing, Wenchcon, and other various hatrack gatherings, so chances are I'll know a good deal of people coming to this Con.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I could bring Apples to Apples, and Settlers of Catan (if I own it buy then, which I most definetely will).
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Ooh, 'nother T shirt idea! We could put Alvin from the cover of Crystal City in a Star Trek uniform and yelling, "Con! Cooooooooooon!" (sounds like Khan) with the Chicago skyline in the background
[ROFL] JNSB -- you really cracked me up with that one!!
(and I'm sorry if I offended you on the earlier post -- I was just kidding)

CalvinMaker -- I already know how to swing dance -- but I'll be happy to help you demonstrate! [Wink]

quote:
Also, Busse Woods forest preserve is just a couple exits down 53. I'd be up for a hike sometime
xnera -- that sounds heavenly! I would love it!

Farmgirl

xnera
Member # 187

Noah -- there's an excellent dance hall near me (the Willowbrook ballroom) that does swing every other Sunday, with free lessons. Huge dance floor, great music, plus it's family friendly, so you don't need to be 21 to go. Only bad thing is that it's rather far from the hotel I had in mind. Hmm--may need to look for a different hotel, then.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Swing dancing [Big Grin]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Xnera, I will happily come early to help set up, shuttle people from airport to hotel, or do whatever other tasks you would like to assign.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

I never posted in this thread. A lot of the activity happened while I was busy being sick.

Just want to say I'm here in the Chicago area (by O'Hare) and I hope I'll be able to attend. My schedule is not always predictable or controllable, but I'm hoping to be there for part of it.

If others in the area who are doing planning, etc. want to throw a task or two my way, just ask.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
More votes?

Chicago Con Jatraqueros
13% [ 3 ]
JatraqueroCon
8% [ 2 ]
Jatraquon
34% [ 8 ]
SombreroCon
4% [ 1 ]
KamaCon
39% [ 9 ]
Other
0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 23

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Kama, where is the sakeriver link? Can you re-post that so people know where to go to vote?

AJ

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I think there'll be enough Kama-love going around without having to name the Con after her. [Razz]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, it isn't just to show we love her.

If you actually say "KamaCon" outloud, it is pretty catchy. Has a nice rhythm to it and rolls off the tongue. And it is something no one else would understand...

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if we have two choices that are that close, we need to have a run-off.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Pronounce "Jatraquon" for me, please.

FG

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
HAT-ra-con
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of two pronunciations: hah-trah-kohn and jah-trah-kohn (sorry, I don't know how to do formal phonemics). I think the first is correct, but I rather like the second. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
link
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

I vote for "Other".

It has a nice ring to it.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.