FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help Me Choose

Author Topic: Help Me Choose
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I am planning on purchasing a new or slightly used vehicle next month. (Promotion and raise, y'know coupled with a very tired and sad '88 Chevy Beretta makes this a wise move.)

Since a PT Cruiser is out of the question . . . [Big Grin]

All my life I have wanted a little, sporty truck.

Tell me, automotive masters and mistresses:

What should I be considering? What's good? What's bad? Pricing, etc. The WORKS! (pretty please)

My brother-in-law is too far away to supervise this automotive expedition and I need help!

Merci beaucoup. [Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Normally, I would say go with Toyota.

You can also find some very nice Nissans and Isuzu trucks too.

If you want something larger (i.e., a full size pick up), then really you should just stick with Ford.

Mazda is a maybe, as is the smaller Ford truck (the Ranger).

If you're thinking of an SUV, depending on how old you want to go, I think the Isuzu and Mitsubishis are great for the older stuff. Newer stuff, I highly recommend the Hyundai Santa Fe (2002 or newer model year).

Don't buys:
1) Kia
2) Dodge (except 1500 or larger)

If you are thinking Chevy, check out the GMC equivalent models too. Sometimes you can get a bargain and a few different features you might enjoy.

Make sure your dog likes riding in the bed first. It's mandatory in some states. [Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my 2002 Nissan Frontier truck, Shan. Take a look at them. I've had mine two years now, and it's been great. No complaints at all..

But it IS a truck -- don't expect it to ride like a car. (some people just don't understand that)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you need a truck for constant moving of things or towing of trailers? If not, I would seriously reconsider the idea of getting a truck. They are generally bad on gas mileage, difficult for passenger situations, and uncomfortable on long trips. I say this as someone who lives where everyone in town who's not "yuppie" enough to drive an SUV drives a diesel pickup. It's disgusting and wasteful.

As far as a good make of car, Subarus never die. Never - even when you intentionally and repeatedly try to kill them. Every Subaru we've owned has lasted for at least 250,000 miles.

But this all comes from a girl who drives her mom's Ford Taurus on days when it's too snowy to ride her bike.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Volvo Cross Country!! They're so cool!!!
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a military HumVee with open bed?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Tonka, but Matchbox makes some nice stuff too.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[ROFL]
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother-in-law had an Amigo that he loved, but I think they have been discontinued. Guess that's not helpful...
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
And remember this one, oh so important fact about buying a truck.

Once you have one, ALL of your friends will EXPECT you to help them move.

Really, when you've gotta lug your life's treasures from one third floor apartment to the next, do you call the friend with a truck or the one with the Miata?

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, we just bought a new-to-us rig and got a great deal from a dealer in Seattle. The guy we dealt with was great..even sent a followup letter to make sure we were happy. I'll email you his info.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother just got a new car. I thinks it's an Accord. It's really nice. At least, in comparison to his old one, which had duct tape to keep the window up, no a/c, etc. [Smile]
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Ahhhh! Thank you all - looking forward to your e-mail, jeniwren.

I want a "sporty" truck because I always have (reason #1) and because Nathan and I like to hike up in the mountains (even better reason, #2), I like to do yard work and need something to haul bark, soil, plants, etc., in (another good reason) and if it's only got two seats, no one can expect me to haul THEIR kids around! (The absolute BEST reason.) [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my extended cab Ranger. And Sopwith is quite correct. Your family will also expect aid, although in my case they pay for it so I do not mind. [Smile]
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
i've always had a soft spot for Volvo's both new and old...
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, I adored my little 1990 Geo Tracker. Maybe the jeepy end of things is not what you want, but there was lots more room than expected, and boy could it take rough terrain. Great gas mileage, too, especially compared to a bigger truck.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Ahh - gas mileage is a good thing to consider, too -
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister drives a very cute Toyota pick-up. It's shaped like a really big monster-truck-on-steroids, but it's smaller and sparkly purple.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
Choose door number 3!!

No! Door number 2!!

Go with whats in the box!!

[/random silly post based only on title]

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like my Ford Ranger (granted it's 10 years old, and has 120k miles on it, but it was very well maintained by its previous owners and I've had very few problems with it). It was cheap and it gets good gas mileage for a truck (20-25 mpg for regular city driving). It's not very comfortable for long trips, but for work and regular getting aroung it's great (I've used it to haul more stuff than I had imagined when I bought it).
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.