FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Incan Counting System Decoded?

Author Topic: Incan Counting System Decoded?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
An Italian engineer believes that he has decoded the Incan mathematical system, and it looks like he's probably right.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I read this with fascinating, Noemon, and also sent the link on to my son, since he did some kind of in-depth report on the Inca during his younger years.

I worked through the inter-active photos windows on this link site a couple times before I figured out what they were doing. (Then it was like - duh!)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
That is too cool. But I wonder why it starts out in Fibonacci numbers and then changes to powers of 10? Wouldn't it make more sense if it was just Fibonaccis all the way up? Or else all powers of 10? For that matter, a whole lot of different combinations of values for the cells would work as well.

And why are there two identical sides? The example they gave of adding two numbers would have worked equally well with only one set of depressions for putting corn kernels or stones into. Why are they mirror imaged with all cells duplicated except for the ones cell? To my mind those things still need explaining.

So how do you multiply two large numbers? Is there an algorithm for doing that too?

It's a really fascinating question, though. I love it when you post stuff like this, Noemon.

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it possible to make every number from one to ten from the pairs of Fibbonacci numbers?

I went and reviewed Nephite math. They go 1, 2, 4, 7. Then they divide into eigths. And 1.5 measures of barely is some unit of gold. Curious, anyway.

[ January 31, 2004, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GradStudent
Member # 5088

- posted      Profile for GradStudent   Email GradStudent         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to do a lesson on this with my students. I'm posting the gif of the board that I made, in the off chance that another teacher would want to use it.

gif

Fireworks file

Word file

Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I missed this post earlier. Cool link, Noemon. [Smile]

[ February 01, 2004, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool story. Interesting method. I guess you could add up pretty much any number with only a limited amount of kernels or stones or whatever. How people deal with these necessities of civilaztion is always fascinating.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon: fascinated by the world like no (other) man.

Noemon: King of Links (not the golf kind)

Noemon: "thoughtful."

Yep, good name. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.