FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Quizno's Subs Dead Mice with Gums Commercial

Author Topic: Quizno's Subs Dead Mice with Gums Commercial
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck?

I quote from a generic blog:

quote:
I don't think I can eat Quizno's Subs anymore.

I really think that Quiznos Subs got ripped off by whatever ad firm created their latest commercials. Maybe you've seen them. They feature a freaky looking white turd-like lump with a bad singing voice, which on closer inspection appears to be a dead mouse with really bad teeth and creepy bulgy eyes. And then there's that pirate looking thing playing the guitar. I don't know about you, but a dead mouse singing really badly about Quizno's doesn't make me want to eat a Quizno's sub anytime soon. There really isn't anything about those two (yes, there are two of them) commercials that make me even want to step near a Quizno's.

They are compelling in a sort of road-accident way, but to sell food? *scratches head
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they were lucky rabbit feet. Either way, yeah, that didn't do it for me. Seems like they're trying to create a new "mascot" on the order of the Arby's hot pad or the Blockbuster gerbils.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like the commercials. [Embarrassed]

Matter of fact, I'm having to stay a little late and was contemplating going to Quizno's. It's been awhile. *sigh*

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone in Hatrack linked to the hamsters a long time ago...they used to be a weird guy's web experiment before picked up by Quizno's. Lemme look for the thread.

Here it is.

[ February 12, 2004, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

sndrake, I like them, but I don't know why. I have a feeling that I ought to be revolted, but I find myself humming along.

PSI and pajeeba, thanks! I knew there had to be a background story to it. And yes, they did remind me of the Viking kitties, which I've also seen at rathergood.

Thank you, thank you. How it has been troubling me.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it's a genius marketing move for Quizno's. They are already known for aggressive, annoying advertising.

What this does essentially is a) get people talking [this thread for instance] and b) make all the people who were e-mailed the link to the site [this meme hit wide circulation either last spring or summer] feel like they are part of a 'in' group. In other words, it's one of those 'did you see that?' kind of marketing campaigns, and if you can answer, as Americans can, well I saw that on the Web six months ago or whatever, then you can feel all smug about your cultural knowledge. And that smugness, I think, is part of the whole Quizno's image -- toasted is better. Crude perhaps, but anecdotally it seems to be effective. Quizno's is a rather new phenomenon in the Bay Area and among a certain group [read non-foodies] it has cachet.

EDIT: right, sorry -- I was thinking of the Viking Kitties thing. But the dead mice are so obviously from the same source that the result is the same.

[ February 12, 2004, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Zalmoxis ]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked them, and I figured they were from the rathergood.com folks.

I like the coupon ad one.

Too bad there isn't a quiznos within an hour of me.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
i saw that commercial and said, "is anyone going to know what the spongemonkeys are? or how much they love the moon?"

(not as much as a spoon)

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That commercial CRACKS ME UP.

But there are no Quiznos around here.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw those commercials (the coupon one), I fell off my bed laughing. I find them hysterical. Somthing about the rhymes, I think.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they were pieces of raw chicken meat or something. And they did nothing for me - they certainly didn't make me likely to go buy Quizno's In fact, I think I will feel queasy any time I see a Quizno's sign.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Subway is cheaper and has a better selection, so why bother with this joke of a sub place?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been REALLY disappointed with Subway lately. The past two times I got food from there, the bread was freaking stale. [Mad]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
mack...that's "frequin'"

Get with the program.

Anyway, I laughed really hard and then made dinner myself.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
THEY GOT A PEPPER BAR!
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
these commercials do not make me hungry, but they make me giggle. a lot.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeesh. I knew that commercial looked like a bad flash animation... I just think that's stupid. It's proof of how much the internet is encroaching onto real life though...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed a distinct lack of Moose in the commercials, versus the original song, and couldn't help but be a little disappointed. But do the voice and non-sequitur nature of some of the words remind anyone else a little bit of Teen Girl Squad?

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teen Girl Squad
Member # 4909

- posted      Profile for Teen Girl Squad   Email Teen Girl Squad         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever. We are SO much cooler than dead mice.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
So good!
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teen Girl Squad
Member # 4909

- posted      Profile for Teen Girl Squad   Email Teen Girl Squad         Edit/Delete Post 
No, like this: SOOO good!
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
MSG'd!!!!!!!

I've only been to Quizno's once. Overpriced, and frankly, I didn't like it toasted. HOwever, I usually avoid Subway as well. I'm a hamburger man.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt the reanimated hamster commercials to be not so much an essay on the status of American culture, but our ironic lack of it, or good taste for that matter. Otherwise I too peed my longjohns watching and listening to the brutality of the commercial.

It now ranks up there with the classic 1-900 commercial from a LONG time ago titled 1-900-909-FREAK as far as sheer stupidity [Big Grin] .

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
Those commercials crack me up, and ever since the first time I saw them, I have had "WE LOVE THE SUBS!" stuck in my head.
Now, thanks to this thread, I may never get it out.
-------------------------------------
On a related note, does anyone else like that Batch 81 sauce they have at Quiznos?
It has habaneros, jalapenos, and some other pepper in it, and is frickin deliscious, my problem is that I really overdo it and end up with a really bad stomach ache, but hey, it's worth it.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Subway is cheaper and has a better selection, so why bother with this joke of a sub place?
They use real meat?

Seriously, try a Black Angus sandwich someday and tell me if Subway has anything remotely similar. Ditto the Chicken Carbonara, though that's not what I myself prefer from them.

(All this speaking as someone who eats Subway 3+ times a week and enjoys it, but wishes there were a Quiznos on campus).

Jimmy Johns also uses quality ingredients, but they make a completely different kind of sandwich and can't be compared. Their thick-cut multigrain bread is to die for, but would never work with Quiznos ingredients.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to salivate thinking about a Turkey, Bacon, Guacomole, and a Ckicken Carbonara.
Or maybe that something or other(Tuscany?) chicken, absolutely drenched with Batch 81 sauce.
mmmm...Quiznos
*drools*

Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stomach going to Quiznos and paying an extra 1 or 2 bucks just to have them stick my sub in a toaster oven.

Publix subs - those are good subs.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Publix subs ARE the best. And a lot less money for what you get.

By the way, if you are REALLY lucky, you leave near a Publix with a large Hispanic (esp. Cubano) customer base. Then you get Publix Cuban sandwiches too, and those are to die for. Literally. I've had to be resusitated about 6 times just from tasting those things.

[Big Grin]

I miss Publix.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I like the cubans, but I love the ultimates. Why would anyone shop anywhere but Publix.

Zal, you hit the nail on the head about the dead mice. I saw the commercial with my wife, who hated it. I sat there thinking that I had seen it before and I was soooo cool.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing could ever stop me from going to Quizno's. Once I spent a whole summer eating nothing but Quizno's for lunch... best summer of my life... the Honey-Bacon Club is the greatest sandwich I've ever had, including from small non-chain sub places. Quizno's has always had bad commercials but that will never, ever diminish the quality of their subs.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Could be because we don't HAVE a Publix in Tucson. [Frown] Nor an affiliate, if they have any.

I miss them.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
They're building a Publix right down the block from my apartment complex. It seems to be taking forever. I've half a mind to take my hammer, go over there, and start slappin' up some walls myself. By the time they finish, my life as far as food is concerned will be about as awesome as it ever has been.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't seem to load it and I don't watch TV hardly ever. Is it like the Viking kittens?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

dang it, zan! now i want a publix sub. i haven't had one in more than a year.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Just last night I was commenting to my mother about this commercial. What I told her was, I think if Quiznos has any brains at all, they'll fire their advertising agency. Now, I don't much like Quiznos anyway - a sandwich on toasted bread just doesn't do it for me, unless it's grilled cheese. But even if I did, I don't think I'd go back after having seen that ad. It's gross.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie Mayhem
Member # 6203

- posted      Profile for Annie Mayhem   Email Annie Mayhem         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want something REALLY good, have the folks at Publix make you a Cuban with honey mustard instead of regular (I ask 'em to leave off the pickles, too, since I don't like 'em). The most important thing is to have it ==heated and pressed!==

And I don't think spokesvermin are a good idea for ANYONE in the food business!

[ February 15, 2004, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Annie Mayhem ]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(about Subway) They use real meat?
I've never worked at either place, but I assume its as real as Quiznos. It doesn't taste all that different.

Speaking of which, has anybody tried the Subway salads? Not the "make any 6" sub a salad" thing, the regular salads. That's probably the biggest and best salad I've ever had, save a buffet like "Souper Salad". I'd also say it's a bit cheaper than a sub, considering the quantity of toppings. ($4.99)

And I've never even heard of Publix. They might not have them in Arizona.

[ February 15, 2004, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Aack!! They finally have penetrated pooktopia (the spongemonkeys, I have no idea what Publix is). What disthetic trash! Though my husband felt it was the only expression of what his migraine felt like.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

so glad to see this thread resurrected.

linky

Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
the point of commercials is to make you think about the product. Their commercial certainly achieves that-the song gets stuck in your head, and it's weird enough to spark conversation-like this one!-making people even more likely to think about it. What people decide about the place itself, the commercial can't change-they can just make you think about the place to begin with.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
Ken and I love them. We think they're hilarious.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I never found them funny, but I did find them vaguely disturbing.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Now that they're even mentioned on Slate, they're just not as cool any more. They're too mainstream now so I am forced to disdain them.

Lord help us all if Strong Bad shows up in a commercial.

And Publix is a grocery store based out of Lakeland, FL. I thought they were confined to Florida, but it seems they go out farther than I thought.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing Strongbad goes straight to the comedy channel.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
WATCH OUT FOR PAPERCUTS!
Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Publix just made it to the Bham area.

My mother, who works for a competing chain, is miffed. They came in and stole a bunch of her employees. [Big Grin]

Listening to her rant is funny "Do you know how long it takes to find a good meat cutter?"

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

[ROFL]
That reminds me of the time the news show ran an undercover report on grocery store meat. Part of the contraversy was that the reporter had lied to get the job. I don't know if she had a TB card, but something I remember is she wrote "I love cutting meat" on her application.

graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that little dude playing the guitar. LOVE HIM/HER/WHATEVER. That little thing is hilarious, everytime it comes on, I just watch it play guitar, and then work the scissors on the coupon, and nearly laugh my arse off. They're both creepy, so much so that even my much older brother can't watch, and my mother is horrified but I absolutely love it.

I've never eaten quiznos, and probably never will, but I love the commercials, and are simultaneously disgusted by them, I don't think that's ever happened with me before.

[ February 26, 2004, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: graywolfe ]

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Smile]
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Dork Tower
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.