FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess What the Deaf Can't Watch

Author Topic: Guess What the Deaf Can't Watch
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Turns out some shows aren't allowed to get closed captioning because apparently they're risque or something. So they're protecting the deaf from the heinous antics of Digimon.
linkage

I had no idea that NBC College Football was so bawdy. Or Scooby Doo. OR the Simpsons.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
So the deaf are protected...why must I suffer?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
This is the list of programs not designated "educational" enough to warrant taxpayer support of closed captioning. A program with scarce resources must allocate them according to the function of the program providing the funding.

Frankly, I'd prefer to see producers of TV shows to be required to pay for the close captioning of their programs. They made AOL make its software accesible to readers for the blind. Movie theaters have to provide captioning devices (at least where I come from - don't know if its nationally required). Why not television programs?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen a show yet that wasn't captioned, though I only use captions when my sister is here or Ozzy Osbourne is on TV. That is just government subsidy of the captioning.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Well, I got that from Neil Gaiman's journal.... So, uh, blame him for my gross incompetence, I guess.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ozzy requires captioning for even those with the best of hearing. [Big Grin]

[ March 02, 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed several shows that aren't closed captioned. Not ones that are first-run shows now, but older shows. I recently noticed that 7 Days isn't closed captioned. I don't know if this is because it is on SpikeTV or because it's old and didn't have the necessary 5-year run for syndication, or what.

I hate watching shows that aren't closed captioned. Unless it's live closed captioning, then it just sucks. Going deaf though, I love closed captioning for regular TV shows.

I find the AT&T commercial interesting. The closed captions do not say what the voice is saying. It is like a completely separate ad for the deaf about a product that allows them to talk to people who don't have the teletype phone thingy.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm, I dun no. Most of the sports shows I see at one of the local resturaunts in Norfolk have captions. I can't remember seeing a show w/o. Not all the tv's are setup for it over there, but enough of them are. I often watch the ones with because its always pretty loud inside.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
You're deaf, Jack?

I spent a lot of time with a deaf couple when I was a kid. Their son was a good friend of mine, and I learned quite a bit of signing from them. I got to go to disneyland on the special deaf day. That was cool, it was so quiet! [Smile]

My mom learned signing from them and went on to be a signer at our local junior high for a deaf student.

In some ways, it really is a totally separate culture living inside of the US.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, you are right. I do recall old shows not having captions.

I think that is cool about the AT&T commercials. My sister has a pager that basically works like a cell phone for her, but in text.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Slash, I'm not deaf yet, but getting there. Don't worry, someday you'll be deaf, too. If you live long enough. I just find it difficult to understand half of what they are saying on TV, so I use the captioning. I got tired of always saying, "What'd he just say?" However, from what I know of it, you are right, it is like a whole separate culture. (Oh, and I thought you said your mother was learning to sing from them. I was quite surprised by that!)

Stan, I'm kind of surprised. I thought they couldn't do that without paying some sort of royalty to the show. Most bars I've been in have always said they couldn't have the captioning on because of copy-right infringement.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
In college, I ran the sound for a play put on by the American Sign Language (ASL) society. My friend did the lights, and the play performed a couple of times on campus and at BYU.

I was the only one who didn't sign.

That was fascinating. I'd never been in a situation where I was completely left out of every conversation. The three-year old daughter of the advisors could talk! I know it was just a small period of time, but I think I got a taste of what being deaf in a hearing society would be like.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there a poster who attends Gallaudet in DC? I always assumed she was deaf, although I realize that not everyone at Gallaudet is.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So they're protecting the deaf from the heinous antics of Digimon.
actually in japan digimon has nudity in it, as well as depictions of urinating monsters.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ravenclaw
Member # 4377

- posted      Profile for ravenclaw           Edit/Delete Post 
I go to Gallaudet, but I'm hard of hearing not deaf. I can hear well enough to talk on the phone but I always prefer to watch TV with captions on. There are plenty of people on campus upset about the captions. Many programs will still be required to have captions, they will just have to pay for it themselves. Here's another link from the NAD website

http://www.nad.org/openhouse/action/eow/vol3no1.html

One thing I am happy about is that many movie theaters in the DC area may soon have captions, right now I only know of 2 or 3 that do and usually they are movies that came out a few weeks ago. It's frustrating to wait a few weeks before any of my friends will go see a new movie with me!

http://www.nad.org/infocenter/newsroom/othernews/AMCloewspropsettlement.html

[edit]

This link explains the difference between open and closed captioning in movie thaters

http://www.designboom.com/portrait/rufus_rear.html

[ March 03, 2004, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: ravenclaw ]

Posts: 252 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have a question about this.....

I was volunteering at a rally for Howard Dean earlier this year, and we were trying to help move a number of deaf people to a place where they could see the woman who was signing. One time I was trying to explain what I was doing and I said, "We're trying to move all the hearing-impaired up to the front." A hearing woman with the group actually *hit* me and told me to use the word "deaf."

I was pretty angry that she would hit me while I was trying to help her, but I also don't understand why "hearing impaired" is considered offensive and I felt bad to have upset anyone. [Confused] I honestly never meant to insult anyone....any Hatrackers know why "deaf" is the correct term?

[ March 03, 2004, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Kasie H ]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
That woman was an asshole, to be blunt.

I actually worry a lot about being around such people. With my temper, if you hit me? It's on.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ravenclaw
Member # 4377

- posted      Profile for ravenclaw           Edit/Delete Post 
She definitely should not have hit you. I personally am not offended by the term hearing impaired, but many people are. Maybe I'm being unfair, but from my experience it seems that Deaf people are offended easily!

quote:
Indeed, the deaf and hard of hearing community views "hearing-impaired" as negative, because the label focuses on what they can't do. With this label, a standard has been set: the "hearing" standard. To be anything other than "hearing" is not acceptable to the mainstream society, and deaf and hard of hearing people have failed to meet the "standard".
http://www.nad.org/infocenter/infotogo/dcc/terms.html

I don't really undestand how this term is so different from "Hard of Hearing".... oh well. [Dont Know]

Posts: 252 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.