FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Curious about Mormons (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Curious about Mormons
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all.

After just reading "Lost Boys" and reading past posts and the like I must say that I'm kinda curious about da Mormons.

What does the word mean anyway? What is the best way to learn what they are... from a web site or to talk to a Mormon Priest or missionary? Well... of course talking to a Priest or missionary would be best but I haven't seen any missonaries around for years.. not even the Jahova Witnesses! [Wink]

So anwyway, I'm curious. While I am an agnostic I still am facinated by stories of the divine, rituals, icons, symbols, and stories.

And especially the community. It seems, at least from OSC, that the Mormon culture is still pretty alive and vibrant. Of course it could be askewed by OSC... since any organizations gives more to you as you give more to it....

So I guess what I'm asking are true stories and facts from da people here... [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, boy.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually spelled Jehovah's Witnesses.

And no one has been around in a while? Give me your address, and my wife will let them know to send someone over right away.

BTW, Mormon's eat their babies, and bathe in blood. They will also steal your pocketwatch, and lie on government sponsered surveys. Don't look directly into their eyes, or they will hypnotize you!

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
well for starters...

www.lds.org
www.nauvoo.com

(and I'm not LDS either)
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
www.mormon.org is designed for people that want to learn more about the Mormons.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I once saw a Jehovah's Witness eating a baby...

*eyes Slash suspiciously*

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
There has to be a Mormon priest around here somewhere who's willing answer a non-member's questions.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Or a Mormon returned missionary . . . [Wink]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash, you forgot the horns! [Evil]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Telp, my hubby and I live right in the thick of Mormon society. Yes, it is alive and well!
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to learn about the Mormons and what they believe is by talking to the missionaries. You can request a free copy of the Book of Mormon through lds.org and the missionaries will deliver it to you. They'll also answer your questions and present the fundamental beliefs of the church. You could also look up The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in your area.

"Mormon" is not the official name of the church, but we are often referred to by that name. Mormon was the main writer and compiler/editor of the Book of Mormon. He had access to the records his people had kept over the thousand year period that they had inhabited the Americas. He put together what would become the BOok of Mormon in the latter half of the 300s AD.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

But seriously, if you are interested in getting answers on hatrack, try posing some specific questions. It is a daunting question to say, "Tell me all about your religion/culture!"

Edit: Duh, I guess you did ask some specific questions! Sorry, I'm slow.

[ March 16, 2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I have come to the conclusion that between the Bible, the BoM, and the various proclomations, pronunciations and decrees of the leaders of the church that Mormons seem to remember with about as much effort as the rest of us memorize a phone number, Mormons have to have the biggest, fattest brains on the planet.

Too bad they're not so hot in the looks department.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Telp, my hubby and I live right in the thick of Mormon society. Yes, it is alive and well!
By "thick", she's referring to the fatty portions of the baby carcasses.

[ March 16, 2004, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Not so hot in the looks department? I beg to differ.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Come to BYU sometime, SS.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Frown] Stormy, I'm so hurt. [Cry]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Too bad they're not so hot in the looks department.
Hmmm, yeah. Ever heard of "Relief Society arms"? I wonder if I add to the looks department or detract from it?

Edit: No kiddin' afr! I have never seen so many drop-dead-gorgeous girls in one place. At least not so many that were modestly dressed. [Big Grin]

[ March 16, 2004, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Begging won't change reality, pig boy.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol! Thick... hehe
[ROFL]

Thanks for the links guys! Checking them out now...

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
A discussion on the use of linking to Nauvoo that seems relevant (scroll down to the kacard and Papa Moose posts) kacard is one of *the* Cards, which is not always true of everyone who has card in their ID. Not that I think anyone does it to throw anyone off.

I would definitely recommend mormon.org over nauvoo for answers to general questions.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Hmmm, yeah. Ever heard of "Relief Society arms"? I wonder if I add to the looks department or detract from it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that like 'Playboy' for Mormons where naughty Mormon girls show the bare skin on their arms?

[ March 16, 2004, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Whoa. That was post #6666, Storm.

No, Relief Society arms are flabby triceps. Kind of like jowls for the upper arm, I suppose.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Bare arms?!

Oh, man, now I'm going to have to repent.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I am, like, the number of the wildebeest.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Another direct question...

A friend of mine who's mother was Mormon but she was not really, said that the Mormons don't believe in Hell as such... but call it the Outer Darkness... basically saying the worst punishment is to be furthest away from God.

What is the cosmology of the Mormon Church?

PS> I actually like missonaries coming by the house... whatever their religion is... I find it very fun to talk to them about philosophy, religion, and metaphysics. Also I'm quite proud of them! It takes alot of guts for nice people to go door to door like that!

[ March 16, 2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

pooka
Member # 5003

SS dude, there's only been one proclamation made in my lifetime. But thanks for the compliment anyway.

P.S. cosmology: Yeah, no burning red hell with the donuts and the bowling alley (ala Simpsons). It's more like being isolated in disembodied impotence. And the only way to end up there is to deny the Holy Ghost. So there kind of isn't a fast rule on who goes there, since denying the Holy Ghost is an inward thing that no one can judge. Though there are a few folks noted in history that it seems must have had this problem.

There is a place that one of the prophets of the Church said was so nice, if you saw it you'd kill yourself to get there. That's where suicides go.

Then there is a middle place for "just" people.

The Celestial kingdom is the best place, if you like that sort of thing. I hope I go there, but if I don't I guess that will be okay too.

Folks reward/punishment will be kind of in line with the desires of their hearts.

[ March 16, 2004, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings*

I'm a Mormon. Yes, I am.
So if you want to study a Mormon I'm a living specimen.
Maybe you think I'm just like anybody else you see,
But trust in my word
You'll quickly observe
I'm different as can be.

*stops singing*

Man, now how am I going to get that stupid song out of my head?

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Is there inner movement between the levels of heaven? Can someone who goes to one level move to another?
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
There is a place that one of the prophets of the Church said was so nice, if you saw it you'd kill yourself to get there. That's where suicides go.
Uh, pooka, I'm not sure where you're getting this...
beverly
Member # 6246

Telperion, the answer to that question is long and involved. I might give it a try though.

When Mormons talk about "hell", it can refer to a lot of different things. We believe that after we die, we spend quite a bit of time waiting before we are ressurrected. This waiting time is more pleasant for some and less pleasant for others depending on what sort of understanding you had of "right and wrong" and how you used that knowledge. For clarification, I will use "right and wrong" to represent absolute truths, therefore our current understanding of "right and wrong" is often inaccurate.

Hell could be described as the spiritual suffering a person experiences after death because they did not do a very good job of doing what was right according to their own understanding of it. We also believe that everyone after death will be given a chance to be taught a better understanding of "right and wrong" and a chance to choose to follow it from that point forth.

We believe that final judgement and ressurrection take place when we have all had time to understand and improve. At this point, so we are told in scripture, the only ones who will be "banished" to outer darkness are those who did not accept any of the love or edifying influences they received. There will be divisions and kingdoms for the others depending on their current state at that time.

This is a vague description, an "intro" so to speak. This does bear some resemblance to Catholic "Purgatory", though on further examination, differences are more clear.

Edit: Sorry pooka, hadn't seen your post when I wrote this. Good background there.

[ March 16, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
There are Mormons here. That's it, I'm leaving!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Telp, we believe final judgement is just that, final.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Pooka, I'm pretty sure that's just a bit of Mormon folklore.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Then what effect do the baptisms and sealings of the deceased have, UofU?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

But the final judgement is not immediate at the time of death. Everyone will have the chance to hear the gospel from, for want of a better term, real live angels before they decide. If they haven't heard it before. So, Telp, you may want to quit reading and have your fun, then wait for the angels. Just kidding.

John Taylor said the Telestial Kingdom is so much better than earth, a lot of folks would commit suicide to go there. Of course, after about 45 minutes without nicotine/hatrack whatever they might start to rethink their decision. He also said when we are disembodied spirits, it will take a lot longer to do (I think the important idea was repent) things than it does when you have a body.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

What, you mean like the Nephite warriors defending the MTC against the advancing legions of hell? I thought the 2 Nephites in every window part was fairly convincing.

Tel, the problem with asking these kinds of questions is that it usually gets into "deep doctrine," which really isn't the basis of LDS beliefs and doesn't matter nearly as much.

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
ohhh! ohhhh! I was a mormon priest a few months ago!
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

The very real effects of vicarious baptism/other ordinances takes place prior to resurrection, which takes place prior to final judgment. So by the time your eternal reward has been determined, the effect of any vicarious work has already been figured into the equation.

[ March 16, 2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

This is all great stuff... *taking notes*
Any more tidbits?

What about missionaries? They usually go out and about around 18 yrs old right? Can anyone in the LDS do it?

[edit]
Robot man! Explain more... OSC says the same thing in "Lost Boys" about a guy curious about 'deep doctrine' and how it's not that important to the LDS.

[ March 16, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

beverly
Member # 6246

fugu, if I understand correctly, few have experienced ressurrection (and therefore FJ) and they were already celestial in nature.

Most people won't be ressurrected for a good, long while and those ordinances may therefore have great meaning/effect for them.

edit: Dang pooka! You are too fast for me.

[ March 16, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I've always heard that attributed to Joseph Smith, pooka. Got a reference for it?
katharina
Member # 827

Missionaries are either young single adults or else older couples. There are about 65,000 missionaries currently, and most are young men between 19 and 21. The young women go at 21. Young men are encouraged and commanded to go as a priesthood responsibility, and the young women may go if they want and feel from the Spirit that it is right.

The cutoff age for young men is 26. I don't know that there is one for the women. The older couples must be free from dependents, and they can go as often as they want. Missionaries are self or family supported.

beverly
Member # 6246

These deep doctrines do little to effect our salvation. What we need for that is the basic gospel: faith, repentance, baptism, gift of the Holy Ghost, those sorts of basics.

The deep doctrine gives context and meaning, the "bigger picture", but is not vital.

Edited for spelling. Sorry, holding a baby.

[ March 16, 2004, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Missionaries are self or family supported.

Woah, woah, woah. Are you telling me that the church does not support the missionaries from tithes?
katharina
Member # 827

No, not at all. They either earn the money, or their family pays it. Missionary support is $375 a month, currently. (As far as I know.)
pooka
Member # 5003

No, couldn't find it in Gospel link (program, not a website, sorry dudes) but I always heard it as John Taylor. Anyway, you want me to edit all those out or just declare it bagged? The idea is we don't believe in torments being inflicted on sinners in the afterlife. Even those who go to the Celestial Kingdom will have the sorrow of anyone they loved who didn't make it there with them.

"Bev" has a point, that we basically believe in Faith, Repentance, Baptism and the Holy Ghost.

P.S. for Storm, there are some whose mission is paid out of offerings, if they otherwise couldn't afford to go.

[ March 16, 2004, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Absolutely. Individual missionaries and their families have the primary financial responsibility. Local wards, or members thereof, may help out if there is a shortfall.

Missionaries from poorer countries may have their mission costs subsidized by the church as a result of special donations by members in richer countries.

katharina
Member # 827

The support isn't from tithing, though. It comes from separate donations on top of tithing.

Tithing builds temples and church buildings.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.