FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is this a girl thing or a Mormonism thing? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is this a girl thing or a Mormonism thing?
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
That being, the willingness to sell your soul for a chocolate. How about it, how many of you ladies Love chocolate? How many of you guys do, and if you do are you "Mormon"?

As I mentioned on the Lent thread, I intend to give up sweets starting Monday. But the main problem will be chocolate. I think I may pick up a dozen Krispy Kreme this afternoon too. I guess this may sound absolutely horrific if you are currently observing Lent, so I apologize. Just pretend I wrote this a month and a half ago.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a mormon, and I am not a girl, and I love chocolate, especially when it's shaped like bunnies.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a girl thing, or a Mormon thing, it's a chocolate thing. MMM! chocolate bunnies.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
ooooooh...chocolate! [Smile]
*goes off to eat M&Ms*

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
How can you think only Ladies or Mormons love chocolate after watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Did you not see (or read) about Augustus Gloop? I assure you, he was neither a Lady nor Mormon.

Given popular culture's portrayal of women's infatuation with chocolate, perhaps often implying it's a substitute for sex, I understand from whence that notion came. But the Mormon thing just seems out of left field...

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a chocolate thing . . .
Looks in the cupboard for the 5th time in the last hour to find any hidden morsels . . .

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, the connection between Mormons and chocolate has me baffled.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/dreco/Veggie/Page201.html
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not all that big on chocolate.

I'm a big meat eater.

A steak from Ruth's Chris Steak House. mmm...

Now THAT might be soulworthy.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
It must a Mormon thing. I've never even HEARD of 'chocolate'.

Oh, wai-

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I love chocolate. Especially dark chocolate. So it may be a female thing, but it's not just a mormon thing.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It must be an impulse shopping thing. If you look carefully on Ebay, you can get a lot of chocolate AND meat for the price of one soul. [Evil]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate is vital to the existence of women

[ April 10, 2004, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: kacard ]

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captainmoriar
Member # 6416

- posted      Profile for captainmoriar   Email captainmoriar         Edit/Delete Post 
I think chocolate does have something that causes the brain to release some sex-like signals but I'm not sure on that or where I heard it.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dangermom
Member # 1676

- posted      Profile for dangermom   Email dangermom         Edit/Delete Post 
I love chocolate. Not because I'm Mormon, though.

But for those who are confused about the association, I have found that Mormon women can out-consume anyone in the chocolate area. Some of them scare even me--and I dip my own chocolates. I think it's because we aren't allowed any other vices... [Razz]

Posts: 335 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it is the THC content of chocolate?

Edit to add: yeah I know it takes an incredible amount of chocolate to get high from. Just a joke.

[ April 10, 2004, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: luthe ]

Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

[Angst] Wondering what kat's link was originally titled.

I was thinking more in terms of it being a permissable vice. What actually started this train of thought is that I was at the store last night and there were "masculine gift baskets" on display. The baskets were moss and redwood colored, with items such as trout-shaped picture frames, soccer ball clocks, and coffee mugs in them. After we got to the parking lot I realized I hadn't even noticed if there was any chocolate in them. And I asked my husband if all men really even like chocolate.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmmm... dark chocolate is the best.
And that's from an agnostic ex-Catholic gay boy.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love dark chocolate.
I wish someone would leave me a basket of it in front of my door. [Frown]
Ghiradelli dark chocolate
Dove...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a human thing.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mmmmmmm... dark chocolate is the best.
And that's from an agnostic ex-Catholic gay boy

Oh, so it's a gay thing.

Crap. Now I have to question my orientation again.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Synth, I'd send you some. Mmmmm, Dove truffle eggs....
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? Dark truffle eggs?
That would make me happy to tbe point of exploding...
Even milk ones would make me happy..
IT'S CHOCOLATE!!!!
*updated profile*

[ April 10, 2004, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
We get those bags of Hershey's miniatures, and my wife eats everything but the Special Darks. She doesn't know what she's missing.

Dark chocolate is better than that "one thing."

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I like chocolate in the form of gooey ice cream with chocolate nuts and chocolate covered nuts.

I like chocolate in solid form at any time.

I like chocolate on the Dairy Queen dipped cones. That really is the best part about a dipped cone, isn't it? I mean, who really wants the ice cream? [Wink]

Yes. Easter has the best chocolate of all the holidays. It's saddening that Cadbury only comes out once a year. Cadbury mini eggs, Cadbury cream eggs....I have been trying to abstain this year and I have done a lot better...but I have definitely partaken of my share.

Oh, and I'm Mormon and female if that makes a difference. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm extremely attachached to being a male, but i might be willing to become a mormon for chocolate. Oh, I know, I could be dual-sex would that work? [Monkeys]
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Another non-Mormon guy for chocolate [Smile]

Especially dark chocolate

Especially Cloud 9 Oregon Red Raspberry Dark Chocolate. Wow. It's ambrosial.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Does anyone else ever get intense dreams from chocolate? If I eat chocolate too late in the evening, I get really strange and creative dreams. They're very interesting... but it doesn't make for very restful sleep, and so I usually try to avoid it...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son_of_Priam
Member # 6411

- posted      Profile for Son_of_Priam   Email Son_of_Priam         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate is the best. they make these new chocolate hershey's kisses with caramel inside of 'em, they are awe inspiring! I once had a dream that there were hundreds of them jumping on my stomach yelling "Let our people free" it was hilarious.

[ April 10, 2004, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Son_of_Priam ]

Posts: 73 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Skillery, she may just be a dark chocolate snob. Dove dark is a lot smoother than Special Dark. I usually prefer milk over dark, but I like Dove dark. But I will eat Special Dark if it's the only game in town. I've not yet crossed the line into going to the store in the middle of the night for chocolate. Because I also needed a plastic utility knife. [Big Grin] P.S. This google ad is so lame. It's trying to sell me some Mormonism. [ROFL] But I guess I'm glad it's not trying to sell us girls.

[ April 10, 2004, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I made three dessert-type things for Passover so far: a toffee-crunch which was covered in melted chocolate, almond cookies (no chocolate), and brownies. And my brothers ate at least as much of 'em as we womenfolk.

C'mon, it's CHOCOLATE! *drools*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Pooka: I wonder why the Google box picked LDS Singles instead of chocolate. The webmaster must be able to pre-set the keywords for the search, and there must be a heirarchy to the search, because I've seen the ads change as new, more favored words entered the thread.

I don't understand why the webmaster didn't put the word "chocolate" at the top of the list. Maybe the webmaster is the Lord, and we should take a clue that chocolate only ranks second on the list of most important things.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Peanut M&Ms. Almond Hershey Kisses. Mackinac Island Fudge is the best.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Stan: I like peanut M&Ms too, but once in awhile there's a nasty peanut in there. So I suck the chocolate off and then visually inspect the peanut. Hard to do during a movie, so I take a flashlight.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
its mostly automated, skillery. The webmaster can specify certain things be excluded, but it basically just picks up on keywords of interest and shows a randomly selected ad based on them.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate bunnies are an abomination.

I ate a piece of one of my children's bunnies this morning-- it tasted like chalk.

Bleh.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fool for Hershey's Special Dark. Dark chocolate is so much better than milk chocolate, isn't it? But now you're telling me the fat in chocolate may raise HDL? Wow! If I could find some artificially sweetened dark chocolate, it might even change from a forbidden food to something that's good for me! [Smile]

(I always thought it was a girl thing, but hey, who knows? I'm both so you can't use me to distinguish.)

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked several of the threads...the ads are based on the title of the thread, not the content as far as I can tell.

Mmmm...Godiva. Hershey's is fine, but Godiva is heaven!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

What are the ads that folks talk about?

I use Opera and Internet Explorer, and don't see anything using them...

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
plaid,

The Google ads alllll the way down at the bottom of the page. They're sort of easy to miss.

Stan,

quote:
Mackinac Island Fudge
You said it, man. *drools*

Chocolate is *definitely* not just a Mormon thing. I am absolutely *addicted* to those little Dove Promises. Sooooo good. Usually I get milk chocolate, but their dark chocolate is also to die for....

My Mom rocks...
*breaks out the Easter chocolate that arrived yesterday*

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Um, nope, I'm scrolling all the way to the bottom in both Opera and Internet Explorer and don't see anything.

Hmm, and I used the search function and it lists a thread called "Forum ads..." that I can't get to.

*Looks very suspiciously at Google ad mentioners*

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- non-morman female

[Hail] Dark chocolate is the most amazing stuff in the universe! (it's interesting how almost everyone in this thread has said they like dark as much or more than milk...)

my word of the day - ambrosial

(we ought to have a :drool: smilie...)

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it would be *just like* Bill Gates to write IE so it didn't recognize Google ad placements. All this talk about him getting in the search game late....
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using IE and I see the ads. And they change as the thread progresses, so it can't be JUST the thread title. In fact, some of them seem entirely based on content -- like the Jewish dating ads in the Clinton/Hatch/proxy baptism thread. [Dont Know]

As far as types of chocolate go, dark is nice, but milk chocolate -- at least, GOOD milk chocolate -- is way better!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Like what sorts of milk chocolate?
Dang... I can't wait till Wednesday so I can get some post Easter Chocolate...
*longs for chocolate*

beverly
Member # 6246

Synesthesia, you know I would so love to eat a Dove dark chocolate truffle egg, but for some reason they aren't selling them around here! The only ones I have seen are the milk chocolate. They are pretty darn good, but I sure could go for a dark chocolate one. Dove truffle eggs are hard to find in general around here.

I honestly don't understand why they aren't wildly popular. The thing that really bugs, though, they used to have the two halfs of a whole egg, but now they just sell a half-egg truffle that is approximately 3/4 the size of the full egg. Then they sell them for the same price. I'm being ripped off! And yet I still buy them....

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Non-mormon, non-female, love dark chocolate. Very dark chocolate. Mmmmmmmmm.

And the ad on this page is now for a LDS dating service.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ad at the bottom of page: "Mormon? Get paid $75!" Supposedly they will pay you to fill out a survey. Wow, how generous of them.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Dark chocolate...blah!
Milk chocolate is best! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Milk is too sweet. I'm getting old and don't like sweet things as much.
I like the delicate combination of sweet and bitter...
The interplay of flavours
But somehow cadbury dark is not as good as Ghiradelli dark... Which i wish I had in pure dark no nuts no fruit or junk form.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.