FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Belle needs to learn the Queen's English

Author Topic: Belle needs to learn the Queen's English
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have committed to a mission trip to England! [Eek!]

Next May - a year and a few weeks from now. I am a little dazed. I was asked to go, I said no, then felt like I should have said yes, then when they came and asked me the 2nd time it was "Yes, I need to go."

God wasn't about to let me weasel out of it, I suppose.

The trip is mainly to minister to a little church in Exeter England. We'll be entertaining children for a few hours during the day (think Vacation Bible School type stuff) and in the evening we'll be holding services for the adults and putting on plays and skits. I'm going to write some of the skits over the next few months.

During the mornings I'll be doing storytelling, and some crafts with the kids.

I've never been out of the country. Never felt a need to travel, really. Going to England? While it'd be nice, I guess I never put it on the list of things I must do.

So, this is going to be quite an experience. I have a year to raise the funds. Don't know the final cost yet. It's a 10 day trip.

*shakes head* I still can't believe I said yes!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Belle needs to learn the Queen's English
Well, if you give her a call, I'll bet the accent will convince you.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Leo, that was my first startled laugh of the day!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, congratulations! You will have a ball! England is great. And you have plenty of time to prepare.

[Smile]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*runs in circles* [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some stuff to get you started [Big Grin]

USA / England
~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Parking Lot / Car Park
Subway / Tube
Tobasco Sauce / Curry [Wink]
Missionary / Nutter [Razz]

[ April 23, 2004, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Tobasco sauce is NOT curry!!!!

Elevator/Lift
Bathroom/Toilet, or Loo
Garbage or Trash/Rubbish
Highway/Motorway

Exeter is a nice town, and make sure you come to London and see me on your way in or out!

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
*bubbles with jealousy*

[Smile]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
I was joking. [Wink]
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, how exciting. You'll have a blast.

May we beg for overseas postcards? [Big Grin]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bathroom/Toilet, or Loo
It can also be a bog.

Attractive woman: Bird.
Geek: Trevor
Something that is good or bad (like our "krunk!"): Poxy

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the British editions of Harry Potter. I suppose any book's British edition will do, but one should always seek out more excuses to read Harry Potter. Of course, as each new book comes out there seems to be more and more anglicisms left in. Maybe they don't bother to edit them anymore since they're going to sell 3 gazillion copies anyway.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
You're just lucky it's not Exeter, Pennsylvania.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I work two seconds from Exeter, Pennsylvania.

We definitely don't speak the Queen's English.

*shudders at every "yous guys!"*

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean Monty Python movies aren't the best way to learn? I enjoy Douglas Adams books. Chronicles of Narnia. Well, that about sums up everything I've ever read in my whole life apart from OSC.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Belle, that's great!

I'm going to be studying in London for two and a half months this summer, I'll let you know what I learn

Amira -- both pH and I will be in London this summer (assuming pearce is still planning to go)...we should meet up!

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
<-Anglophile

<-Is Jealous.

Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Smashing!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing is it will get me writing again.

I'm writing a monologue right now, from the POV of the woman who touched the hem of Jesus garment to be healed.

And, I will be sewing like the wind, to try and sell enough stuff to pay for the trip. The church will have fundraisers, but we're responsible for the bulk of the cost.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the perpetual newby
Member # 6468

- posted      Profile for the perpetual newby   Email the perpetual newby         Edit/Delete Post 
Jolly Good, Belle, Jolly Good!
I expect it will be wicked awesome [Wink]

[Group Hug]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Something that is good or bad (like our "krunk!"): Poxy
krunk? what?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, as each new book comes out there seems to be more and more anglicisms left in.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I like it alot better now that they use prat and git all day long.

-----

Belle, all you have to do is pick a funny-sounding verb and place a gerund at the end. You get things like cracking, spiffing, smashing, dotting, etc. You'll have no idea what you're saying but at least THEY'LL understand you.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
"We's gonna go up to the club an get crunk wit Britney!" [Big Grin]

And I dunno if I'm gonna make it to London this summer anymore or not. [Frown] But next summer, I should be over there somewhere.

Hooray, Belle! You'll have fun. *hides in suitcase. Shifty eyes*

[ April 23, 2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: pH ]

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

Whereabouts, Leonide?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
Exeter, Devon, UK is a a thriving Cathedral and University City, surrounded by beautiful countryside.

Would I be correct in assuming that the same could be said of Exeter, PA?

Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to get your passport early. Don't worry. No one here would ask to see your passport picture.

Good luck. Have fun.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GradStudent
Member # 5088

- posted      Profile for GradStudent   Email GradStudent         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm honestly confused. Why do they need people to fly over from the States to do that? Is it some kind of exchange program?
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean there's more than one English ? [Eek!]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
Whereabouts, Leonide?
I'm slow in responding, but I live (or lived) in Fleetwood, and now I waitress at Maxie's Carsonia Inn in Mt. Penn.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

That can't be too close to Exeter, because I've never heard of it (although for some reason the name Maxie's Carbonia Inn rings a bell).
Leonide
Member # 4157

Are there two Exeter's in PA?

Fleetwood and Mt. Penn are both about 15 minutes outside of Reading. (yes, no, ring a bell?)

Dobbie
Member # 3881

There are two Exeters in PA, Exeter Borough and Exeter Township. Both are in the northeast, about 100 miles from Mt. Penn.

I had actually heard of Mt. Penn before. Didn't Fleetwood have something to do with inventing the automobile?

Leonide
Member # 4157

No, Mt. Penn isn't a mountain -- at least, not where i'm from. It's the name of a town. Oley, Fleetwood, Muhlenberg, Governor Mifflin, Exeter, Reading...these are all towns in my area.

I've never even heard of a Mountain named Penn!

Leonide
Member # 4157

Exeter Township is in the northeast of PA?!?!

how do i not know where i live?

Dobbie
Member # 3881

Strictly speaking, Mt. Penn is a borough.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.