FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Settlers of Catan

Author Topic: Settlers of Catan
flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great game. There is just an interesting combination of independent strategy, luck, and competition. I played it one night with some friends, and then bought it the next day, and since have been addicted to playing it. It's just really fun. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there addicted to it, and many more ready victims. Mwuahaha!
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
If you can get it, try Starfarers of Cataan, too. I actually enjoy it more. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamisaki
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki         Edit/Delete Post 
You're darn right it's an awesome game. My roommate got me started on it last year and it's great. In fact, I just played a game with my neighbors last week. And I even won! [Smile] Unfortunately, I still don't own it myself, 'cause I'm broke and it's a bit on the pricey side. (And how come still the only place you can buy it is in specialty game stores?!) But, yeah, it's one of those rare games that you can play and have fun even if you suck.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
This is indeed an excellent game. The guys around my dorm play it regularly. Along with Magic. Heh.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Settlers is a great game. I've never met anyone who didn't like Settlers, I think it's one of those games that has universal appeal.

I think the reason it's fun even if you don't do well is because it's a game that requires human interaction. You can play most board games without saying anything at all, but Settlers requires you to be engaged in the game at all times.

Other good obscure games that I reccomend are:
* Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game -- Eagle Games
* Munchkin -- Steve Jackson Games
* Grave Robbers from Outer Space -- Z-Man Games
* Cannibal Pygmies in the Jungle of Doom -- Z-Man Games

Grave Robbers and Cannibal Pygmies are both cheap and portable card games. Great for playing on the road or when you have some free time with a few friends. Munchkin requires some basic knowledge of the tropes of fantasy RPGs to really get a lot of it, but it's still fun.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
www.brettspielwelt.de

Switch the language to English, and you can play Settlers of Catan online.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Settlers of Zarahemla version.

Kamisaki-you know you can get it online, right?

Oh, and they're also making a ps2 version, don't know if it will be capable of online play yet.

[ May 04, 2004, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play it online , but the server is a bit flakey and won't always connect.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
This is an awesome game. I love it. I took it to WenchCon with me and got a number of people hooked [Smile]

I like to play using this:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mgardner0/

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thrak
Member # 5499

- posted      Profile for thrak   Email thrak         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else tried the Cities and Knights expansion? I prefer that the most. Great games.

If anyone can organize an online game, let me know. I will be game.

Posts: 115 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, I'm trying out the different Seafarers scenarios. (But, so far I like it best playing the original with 5-6 people.)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Awesome game. My wife and I took it with us on vacation last year beuz we were gonna be staying with some friends. Got them playing it, and the friend's brother and fiancee were visiting that night, so we got them playing too. Played until all hours of the morning.

Next night, the brother and fiancee "just happened to be in the neighborhood," and so we repeated the previous night. That was a lot of fun.

Great game. Very few people we've introduced it to haven't gone out and bought their own copy within a week or so of playing it with us.

Best review I ever read about it, though don't remember where: "Just buy it. Trust me. 5 stars (out of 4)" <-- and it's true.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the guys I work with loves playing Settlers. When we're not busy at work (or during his lunch hour) he hops online and plays. He's tried explaining it to me a couple times, and I've almost got the hang of it! [Wink]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the longest road! Ah ha ha ha ha! [Evil Laugh]

Ohh right, we're just talking about the game, not playing. Woops. [Grumble]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, well my Largest Army is marching down your Longest Road, and about to sack your City on the 6 Brick/9 Sheep intersection. . . . [Razz]
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like an idiot, but I have not figured out how to play online at www.brettspielwelt.de.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
Settlers of Catan ==> Adding Cities&KnightsExpansion ==> UBER-Settlers.

Seriously... we had a game that lasted 3 hours.

Stupid people are so guarded about their resources.

That and all i ever was able to get was wheat. Great [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.