FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Musical Event on VH1

Author Topic: Musical Event on VH1
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are not watching American Idol, (which I know you are all planning on doing, even though you will deny it in public, Trey Anastasio and Dave matthews have a special on VHI-right now-(8:00) about a trip they took to Africa to play with a Senegalese band called "Baobab."(who flat out rock)
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Mister Smarty-pants, it is funny that you say that.

When I first saw Phish I was, maybe, 28, in Northampton, at John M. Greene Hall. (This is the Smith College auditorium. Small.)

The next time I saw them was in Lenox, Mass. at some big hall. (bigger than John M. Greene, but still pretty intimate.)

Within two years, Phish exploded. Donna the Buffalo might explode, or they might fizzle, but right now is their time to do whatever it is they will do. It is exciting to be riding the wave, up or down.

I hear a lot in the music threads about people saying that people think: "Well, I knew them back then, so I am better than a newer fan."

This is incorrect. I don't think true live music lovers think that way. Music is, by nature, effervescent. You shouldn't try to say what type of music is better than another, or which performance was best. So much of a person's perception of a musical event is personal and emotional. It might be that they broke up with a girlfriend, or had a fight with their husband, or whatever. Certainly, you can become the biggest fan just by loving one song.

I love spouting off about music here, but I need to go watch Trey and Dave.

DtB for friggin ever,

Liz

[ May 11, 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elphie
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for Elphie   Email Elphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, you are so right.. i get so upset when people try to convince me that one type of music is better or that they are a "bigger fan"...it just goes to show that even in little things, we, as humans still have not figured out that agreeing to disagree is such a profound way to live
Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.