FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Germs and God

Author Topic: Germs and God
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter and I were talking about germs at the dinner table. She learned that there were both good and bad germs in the body from a field trip to the hospital. Abby told me all the places she could think of that you could find germs. She obviously thought this was very cool. I told her that even the germs that make you sick are okay if their populations stay low. This sort of thing makes sense to her - little gardener that she is! She wondered what a world without microorganisms would be like. I told her I found that very hard to imagine, since microorganisms are everywhere. I mentioned that single-celled creatures were very basic, and that they were the first living things on earth.

"Even older than the dinosaurs?"
"Oh yes, much older than that."
"OH! So the germs made God! I've been wondering about that."

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of the Warmaker tree in Xenocide . While God didn't reveal germ theory to the Bible prophets, one has to wonder why he told them to avoid pork and bury their feces.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Man.... It's a load off to finally find out the answer to that question.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
That's so precious! And stuff.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
<claps>

awesome!

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't kids great! [Big Grin]
Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love for one of my children to say something like that, be an awesome teaching opportunity!

I think Jenny's daughter is probably brilliant, most jatraquero children are. Whether she's as brilliant as mine though...that's debatable. [Wink]

I just smile though when I think of Jenny sitting and talking to her daughter - what a wonderful mother she is. I mean, in today's society most parents don't take the time to just sit and share their knowledge with their kids that often.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I want Natalie to babysit Abby. Maybe some of her brilliance will rub off.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
How darling!

Sort of reminds me of the time Ron asked Robert about the chicken and tne egg (which came first?) on the way to school.

Robert: Well, a chicken had to come from an egg.

Ron: But where did THAT egg come from?

Robert: From a chicken

Ron: So where did the first chicken come from?

Robert: (Thinks, then in his best Cecil B. DeMille Narrator Voice) It descended from the heavens! (imagine a large, arm-sweeping gesture here.)

That just made our Day. [Smile]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.