FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wishful thinking and daydreaming. What would you do if you won the lottery?

Author Topic: Wishful thinking and daydreaming. What would you do if you won the lottery?
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
A group of co-worers and I play Mega Millions every week. I don't kid myself into believing I'll ever win but we were talking the other day about what we would do if we did. So... What would you do? and I don't mean the obvious. We would all buy a house, pay off our debts and blow some of it on cars and other toys. How would you're life change? What would you do with it? Would you continue to work or would you pursue some lifelong dream?

Me personally, I would open up a small book store dedicated to SF and Fantasy. Hang out in it all day long and write and talk books. No more teaching, no more deardlines and stupid administration. Just me and the things I love to do.

Anyone else?

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about that since CBS gave Rupert $520K last week... If I was given $520K, I'd do the usual paying off my student loans, Mark's student loans, and the car, and buy a house. Even if we're not going to be in Ithaca for more than a year, it would be a great investment. I'd also do a lot of awesome home improvement projects that I couldn't otherwise afford. [Smile]

So that would leave about $200K.... enough to invest and get some tidy monthly dividends, but not enough for either of us to retire or anything. I'd definitely quit my current job, but I have other possibilities on the horizon that I'd be waiting for. I might rent a studio space on the Commons and set up a real 3D contracting company for ads and stuff. Be pretty neat to be able to do something like that without constant pressure to make money off of it right away.....

Also I'd change the ceiling light in the kitchen. I hate fluorescent. [Razz]

[ May 23, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Ayelar ]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had anything left after using it to pay for college and travel Europe I would start a circus school.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I've thought about this, too. [Wink]

First, the house I build would be completely networked - every room in the house would be able to take a computer. I would have a small guest house built for my mom.

I would set up a fund for people to get their pets spayed if they can't afford it.

I would contribute to the art and music programs in my school system.

I would go back to college. [Smile]

And I really want a minivan with a dvd player to keep my kids quiet when I'm driving. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a house. Buy a car. Buy a second house with fun stuff in it. Put half of whats left in bank. Use other half helping others.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The first 3 frivolous things I'd buy would be :

IPod
Martin Guitar
LCD monitor

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd pay for college and put some in savings. The rest I'd give away.

I'd give my mom enough to leave my dad. I'd at least kick off funding for an international anthropological network in the media to raise awareness about the kind of issues I think are important - human issues. I'd... I don't know what else I'd do.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy a modest little house and live in it for the rest of my life. Then when I died people would find out, and say "Holy crap, that dude was loaded! Never woulda guessed, he wore the same ratty old jacket for 20 years."

You know, something like that.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming I won one of those $200+ million prizes, I'd give a bunch to my childhood church; a fair amount to my high school; pay off my debts; build my dream house/observatory up in Maine; buy a bunch of skywatching equipment to fill said house.

A bit more on the house: it would look like a large simple New England colonial. Inside where would be multiple hidden passageways and doorways and stairwells. They would all be controlled by a computer system, so on any given day, various versions of the house would exist. You'd never quite know how you'd get down to breakfast every day.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha KiwiCon. *grin*

That is, I'd pay for all of Hatrack (or as many as wanted to, at least, heh) to come to a gathering so as I could meet y'all. 'Twould be Awesome. [Big Grin]

Oh and of course I'd buy a farm, that being what I've always wanted. I wouldn't do that right away, though - not until I've finished with uni and everything. [Cool]

There are, of course, many things I would do with the money but those are the first two that come to mind. [Smile]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go to school, first and foremost. Then, if I had anything left over....hmmm...small island with a prebuilt dungeon, and my own helicopter/pilot. The rest is pocketcash. ^_^
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I'd sleep in maybe, watch some TV.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I would quit my current job, fix up my house & farm. Then I would like to go into business for myself (in some as-yet unknown direction, but probably involving plants, like a nursery). Save some back to help my daughter build her vet clinic when she gets out of college.

And I've always wanted to build a nearly totally self-sufficient house (energy sufficient). They have some in Arizona that I would like to tour for ideas. Uses solar and wind energies.

Oh yeah -- and buy a new lawn mower. Like a Walker or Grasshopper. My riding mower, inherited, is now over 25 years old.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The Skycar.

After that, savings, set up a nice investment scheme, and use the income to fund a foundation for legal troublemaking.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Pay off my debts; Pay off the mortgage; Buy my parents a house; Get a new car; Go on holiday

Use balance to start new business - holiday rent cottages around the UK.

EDIT: oops didn't read first post properly

[ May 24, 2004, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: cochick ]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be very suspicious since I've never bought a lottery ticket.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy New Zealand.

Then, with the money left over (and, trust me, there would be a lot left over), I'd buy as many foreign sports and luxury cars as possible and rent them out for $4,000 a day.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
If yew buy NZ, tt's coming up to the states. [Razz]
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Good riddance. Suckage goes down, value goes up, don't you know? [Wink]

[ May 24, 2004, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, Goat, you're so sweet. [Kiss]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I would join the World Poker Tour and donate half my winnings to charity. [Cool]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.