FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Megas XLR--When Satire sinks to BLASPHEMY!!!

Author Topic: Megas XLR--When Satire sinks to BLASPHEMY!!!
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Megas XLR is a new show created but on by Cartoon Network.

Its basic premise is that a mechanical genius/basic loser from Jersey finds/rebuilds a giant robot. He adds his classic convertable where the head normally sits. Hence, he loves his giant robot car, kids love giant robot cars, chicks love his giant robot car.

This show is very amusing, being a direct satire of many pop-sci-fi conventions, as well as pop-culture in general.

They have done funny satires on everything from Car Show culture to Profesional Wrestling (can you satire something that is a satire of itself?).

This week they took on the classic Giant Robot Teams, from G-Force to Power Rangers. Their foe, a misguided group of hero's--The handsome leader, the duchess in pink, the dark haired/dangerous/moody second in command, the overweight kid and the scrawny little kid who talked funny--who fight in overstyled manuevers that look interesting but are actually quiet useless.

All in all, a very good satire that had me giggling.

Then the big bad villian came out. He was a villian in the "Unmaker" style, who just liked to see the entropic destruction of everything. This giant robot looking entity loved to cause the end of things, whether they were lives, buildings, worlds or galaxies.

Ok. I can understand that villian. Nice motivation. Call him Un-Maker and you have my full approval.

No. They don't call him Un-Maker.

The villians name---ENDER.

Ok. It makes sense. He likes to see the end of things, so we call him the ender.

But it is WRONG!!!!

They have villified the righteous name of Ender.

They must perish!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
I heartily agree, Dan. They must burn!!! Heartily!

In order to soothe your cartoon-induced rage, I suggest you immediately go out to your favorite DVD-purchasing store, and buy yourself the first volume of Invader Zim. It's cheap (~$15) and it's one of the best cartoons I've seen in a long time. It's so good that I have difficulty choosing between watching the 2nd season of Futurama that VĂ¡na so kindly got me for my birthday, and Invader Zim.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sobenz
Member # 6517

- posted      Profile for Sobenz   Email Sobenz         Edit/Delete Post 
I am Ender! I end things!

Man I love that show.

Anyway, I doubt it was a real reference to the Enderverse. I think the creator's thought process was more like, "He likes to end things... Let's call him Ender!" than, "Orson Scott Card! Ender's Game! Let's call him Ender!"

Anyway...

Posts: 20 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.