FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are you doing Memorial Weekend? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are you doing Memorial Weekend?
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
We are camping at Goblin Valley If you have seen the movie Galaxy Quest, when they go down to an alien planet to get a berilium sphere, that landscape is no set. That is Goblin Valley. It is such an awesome place, but you would have to see it to truly appreciate how unique it is. It's, like, nature's playground! [Smile] It kinda looks like a smurf village. I just love the place, combination of unique and obscure.

The cool thing is that it isn't widely popular so there aren't tons of crowds or anything. Well, that's only good if you hate crowds. But they just barely updated the campground. The place is fairly "out of the way" and every time we go it's like, "Now *why* are we driving all this way out in the middle of nowhere?" And then we get there and I remember why!

Goblin Valley is about an hour south and west of Green River, UT which itself is pretty out-of-the-way! This is a good time of year to go because it is not yet blisteringly hot down there. It also won't get too cold at night for the chit'lins. We are going with some cool friends, our kids will play together and we will play some bluegrass music 'round the campfire. I'm psyched!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
beach BBQ at leo carillo! wheee!!!!
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping to have a great time this coming weekend, but I don't have any good ideas for what to do. This thread could inspire me to greatness!

Mmmm, I should have a barbeque one of these days. I think the weather around here is supposed to be "partly cloudy" throughout.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

bev,

that rocks! I camped there with the fam the 2nd week the park opened. My little sis and I found tons of geodes hiking up above the campground.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Oooo, geodes! I need to go there sometime sans children. Last time we went our (then) 2 year old nearly jumped off a 10 foot cliff! Well, she *did* jump. Porter caught her as she came down, just barely in time! I heard there are some really cool caves back behind the main area. I don't know if I could explore very well with the little guys.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Right above the campground. Lots of little hills with odd mica stuff. Lots of geodes (mostly junk) but lots with amythest. Probably picked over by now.

fallow

beverly
Member # 6246

Darn. But now I'm gonna have to look.
fallow
Member # 6268

kids, schmids. I was like 10 at the time and my sister must have been 4 or 5. parents were setting up the tent-trailor, so we went exploring.

that's probably one of my most favorite memories of my sister and I doing something together.

fallow

beverly
Member # 6246

We will have a 1 year old in a backpack tho. At least one of us will. [Smile]
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
working on my master's proposal. Not much fun, but I have to get it into my advisor by tuesday
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

I have no idea what it's like now, but I can't imagine it being too difficult for adults (even with backpacks) to get up on the little plateau above the campground (opposite the "goblins" if I recall). I imagine good rock-hounding might take a wider survey of the terrain. (fun to take geodes home, though, if can find a good saw to cut them open).

very cool little park. [Smile]

fallow

beverly
Member # 6246

Curious, since all the pretty stuff is on the inside, how do you know it is a geode? Can you just feel that it is lighter than it should be?
fallow
Member # 6268

They look like rocks, plunked down randomly in a bed of silt/sand/volcanic-ash. All over the place.

fallow

fleetwood
Member # 6530

- posted      Profile for fleetwood   Email fleetwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm crossing state lines for illegal fireworks.
Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
That all sounds like fun. Me, I'm going to a.) write 4 lab reports, b.) study for finals c.) work on my ESI presentation. woooooo.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to finish laying my sidewalk. As long as it doesn't rain. Then I will regrade my front lawn.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Bev -- that Goblin Park looks cool! I've been to Green River -- but didn't realize I was so close to such an unusual site -- I will have to check it out my next trip to Utah. (And I own the movie Galaxy Quest, so I will have to scrutinize that scene!) Looks like fun!

As for us, my adult Sunday School class (we call them ABF- Adult Bible Fellowship) group and all their kids (which are about the same ages as my kids) are coming out to my farm Saturday for a cookout. This is the first time I've attempted a party like this. Should be at least 30 of us. So we have spent all this past month trying to get the house looking decent enough, and everything trimmed and mowed. We're really looking forward to it.

Have concentrated on that so much, that we haven't even thought about what we're doing Sunday or Monday!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds fun, Bev. We're entertaining my husband's parents over the weekend. Since we moved four hours away, Mr. Opera missed them lots. I think we'll be heading to a Shakertown, among other things.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Buncha nothin'.
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Goblin valley is weird. There's nothing... then nothing...then nothing...

And than all of a sudden BAM! there's all these crazy rock formations, with no warning.

Our kids are sooooooooo excited to go camping this weekend.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Sleeping and going to Raia's chior concert.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay are you doing it in concrete or brick? I think we are installing a bamboo floor in our next bedroom that is almost finished for at least one day.

woo hoo!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Your post caused me to envision a horror flick about a young family that posts their vacation plan to Goblin Valley on the internet and some stalkerish person (edit out stuff). Much screaming and rock formations that are not what they seem ensue.

P.S. I have no plans that we know of. And I'm not just saying that because of my fertile imagination. Maybe we'll clean out the hot tub and let my kids play in it. Maybe we'll clean up the deck. Young newlywed Aunties (Now there's a promising sit-com title) are coming in June, so we'll probably save our cartrip allotments for that.

[ May 26, 2004, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You make me nervous, pooka.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess who and where this is.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

and to make pooka's post worse I misread this:
quote:
so we'll probably save our catnip allotments for that
[Laugh] at myself

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

mph, if we crash your party it will be for free food, and not to sneak around outside your tent while you're sleeping making zipper noises. "Was that our tent?" [Angst]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'll have to bring two dutch ovens, then. [Smile]
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Moving into an apartment in Austin.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Hmm I just realized my other half wasn't clued into what "the plan" was for this weekend. I just called him to inform him. He's being rather recalcitrant. I guess his plan was his normal weekend plan with an extra day of sitting on his butt in front of the computer tacked on, so it is a rather rude awakening.

Hopefuly he'll be over it by the weekend.

AJ

pooka
Member # 5003

I misread that as "Nude awakening".

I really don't think we'll get away. My husband works most Saturdays and holidays.

Beca
Member # 4340

- posted      Profile for Beca           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother is graduating from college, my parents are flying out, and a whole bunch of the alumni of my not-a-frat house will be in town for reunions. I'll be lucky if I have time to sleep. [Smile]
Posts: 188 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going sailing.
WooHoo!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-ho! Hi-ho! It'll be off to work I go...

Not that I'd have anything to do other than read or write or play a video game or watch a movie anyway...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Studying for the exam I have on Monday. [Frown]
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going for a short swim.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I went to Utah I camped at Goblin Valley! What an awesome place that was! *envious* When I was there, some people came and played flashlight tag among the 'goblins'.

I might be marching in a parade with a Civil War reenacting unit to bolster their ranks a little bit. I'm not sure, yet.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Tea and Baby Shower in Philly. I just got my shoes today!
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Pushing people under water.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Playing Halo. (I heard.)

[ May 27, 2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

My inlaws go and do some maintenance on the graves of the departed. Maybe we'll go with them and make pizzas afterward. We also may go to their garden with them. I have some pepper plants started that should probably go into the ground here.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Goblin Valley looks cool, very sci-fi. Take pictures, beverly. [Smile]

I'm going to Quebec with my husband, sort of for the honeymoon we never had.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
We are going to a weekend music festival in Greenfield, Mass.

Have fun, CT! Late honeymoon congrats!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
church potluck maybe ... I don't have to work this holiday - I don't know what to do with my time! [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going up to my uncle's place, as I do every year. [Smile] We're gonna look at horsies and play video games!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
We went with my in-laws today to Clifty Falls State Park in southern Indiana. If you are anywhere near it in the next week or so, I highly recommend going there. With all of the rainfall recently, the falls are more powerful than I've ever seen them. We went during the lull between storms and tornado warnings!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i was going to drive down to LA with a guy that thought i hated him, then put the moves on him while simultaneously surprising my best friend with a visit.

however the guy bailed at the last moment and will never come close to such bliss again.

i will most likely spend the rest of the holiday weekend on the phone with my best friend hating everyone in the central valley.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Saudade and Andrei came to visit bringing my grandson Aragorn and we went on a rampage through the villages and had a hilarious time. Saudade and I got hungry at 2 am last night, so she made scrumptious spaghetti which turns out to be an excellent late late supper or extremely early breakfast, whichever way you want to think of it. Then we woke up Andrei and forced him to eat, and then because he didn't help cook we made him do the dishes. He held up under this and other tortures very well. Aragorn being so young and boisterous, put his aunts Mouse and Felicity all in a tizzy, and they were able to tsk tsk about these kids today and how they were never so rambunctious when they were kittens. Now that they are gone it's gone dead dull and quiet around here and everyone is taking a nap to recover. [Smile]

[ May 31, 2004, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Space Opera, we might go to Cliffy Falls the weekend of my graduation, I have some family coming in that would really like to see it. I think it is about a 2 hour ride from here, Bloomington IN.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dangermom
Member # 1676

- posted      Profile for dangermom   Email dangermom         Edit/Delete Post 
We are doing nothing! DangerDad, under deadline pressure, is at work. My mom went out of town, so no one is around to have fun with. It's an ordinary day, except for the flagness.

But I've been sewing two really cute trick-or-treat bags for the young'uns--no, I have no idea why I suddenly wanted to sew Halloween items in May. I'm having fun though.

Posts: 335 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.