FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't want to be at work anymore today

Author Topic: I don't want to be at work anymore today
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm writing, on a tight deadline, the - if you can believe it - Local Council Accounting Manual.

I know, it's important. Financial health and reputations, not to mention the structure itself - are at stake here. And at first it wasn't so bad - I didn't know anything about accounting before, and I like learning new things. But now the big picture is over and I'm documenting details. I'm SO BORED, and my speakers aren't working. New speakers have been promised me, but in the meantime, no dice. I've even gotten tired of watching the Gilmore Girls Finale Highlights in a little, silent pop up window on the desktop. I can't do anything that takes away too much because, as mentioned before, the tight deadline.

bored bored bored bored bored.

What I should do is a take a writing break. Hmmm...

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering the same thing. I've been working for most of the month on this stupid report of Top Secret Project Alpha Gamma Stupid Face and some time next week I'm supposed to present all my findings. I'm just really, really sick of this study. The data collection has been done for a month, that was the interesting part. And I've already got my next assay idea figured out and what I really want to do is start some pilots but I can't until this stupid thing is done.

Argh!

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bored too darling.

Security work is no fun... well.. sometimes it's fun. But mostly boring. Sit around all day being bored for long stretches of time..waiting for those small periods of panic.

But at least I get to play online all day long. [Smile] That's a plus. Yay Hatrack! [Hail]
Mmm.. what shall I do... make a round? Ruff someone up? Oh look out! Here comes the gay security guard! Stop! Stop I say! Or I shall say Stop again!

I need to be playing Homeworld 2 or at a party with alchohol and lots of people to play with.

[edit]PS> I'm now watching a cute bird feeding it's fat baby in the grass... and look... here come some baby bunnies! It's a veratable zoo out here today!

[ May 27, 2004, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Stop! Stop I say! Or I shall say Stop again!

Telp, you're wonderful.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an actor dammit! Why am I in this god-awful job??? Oh yah... I forgot.. because I'm a lazy bum who likes acting more than working...

*rereads his part for Lord Valentine*

PS> Hey, it's better than McDonalds!

[ May 27, 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that there are people out there who like being at work but, frankly, I'm suspicious.

My test cycles are running in the range of 15 hours. In the mean time I have some stupid interface diagrams to draw up. Yay. Lately I've even been slacking off on my own projects. I'm beginning to think that my gaming tools will never be complete.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

*gives Kat hugs and kisses*
[Wave]

katharina
Member # 827

*grins at Telp*

I often don't mind work. My other project is desinging the look and feel of the Soon-To-Exist BSA e-commerce site, and that's pretty fun. I get to do usability and graphics, and no one else has expressed an opinion yet, so it's all up to me. That's why I'm rushing through the accounting manual - I put it off for as long as I possibly could.

But I want to go NOW. I haven't done laundry yet, and I need to pack efficiently. Also, I got two books in the mail this week, and I want to go home and read. *hops up and down*

I don't like being frustrated with my job. It's a big chunk of life, and I don't have any obligations - if its frustrating, I'll do something else. But its often not - I get a lot of freedom and my boss considers it his job to run interference for us against the rest of the insane corporate culture. It's just today.

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid work. [Grumble]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at work - for the summer I'm working at the world-renowned (or at least renowned to the folks who frequent the little building behind the drugstore) Sacajawea Gallery! It really isn't bad. I showed up to work yesterday and they fired their current marketing team and assigned me all of their newspaper ads & publicity materials from now on.

Plus, I get to talk to old cowpokes about Lewis and Clark all summer. Life is good, and work, though cheesy, is fun!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, I'm basically writing an accounting textbook. This is causing me to rethink my possible plans to apply to work for a publishing house.

<-- still bored

katharina
Member # 827

Katie writes: "The current value of the fixed asset equals the original value minus the accumulated depreciation."

Kill me now.

--------

Of course, it was originally: "The original value is netted against the accumulated depreciation to determine the current value of the fixed asset. "

[ May 27, 2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

*Telp's brain explodes*

The original value is netted against the accumulated depreciationtodeterminethecurrentvalueofthe what the hell does that mean??????

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat,
A major test making company is near us, and they often advertise for teachers to write test questions. I keep thinking, on days when I am hating teaching, that I should do that. Then I realize that I would probably go mad.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Frown] Welcome to accountants' writing.

It means the following:

What a thing is worth = how much you paid for it - depreciation so far

Depreciation = (how much you paid for it - how much you can get for it once you've gotten all the use out of it) / years of useful life

---

Elizabeth: I think I'd like teaching someday.

[ May 27, 2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part, I really like my new job. We publish lots of very interesting articles, and it's fun to be able to take something from manuscript to published book, whereas I only ever saw manuscripts in my last job. But right now it's killing me. The articles I'm working on suck. I just can't focus. I wanna go home. I want to write fun things and enjoy a nice, long weekend.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

A quasi endowment is a gift from a hunchback with a good heart, not quite enough self-esteem, and a surprisingly good singing voice.

The accountants seem to think that a quasi endowment (or funds functioning as endowment) refers to resources designated by the executive board to be retained and invested for specified purposes for a long but unspecified period. These amounts are unrestricted.

[ May 27, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
HUG
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm right there with you, kat. Today just isn't a day in which I am excited about writing.

This is what I freewrote yesterday as part of a company virtual tour guide, and now I have to go back through and make it more substantial.

"Located inside the historic Provo Pharmacy building across the Center Street and 100 West intersection from the corporate highrise, the Provo Retail Center is a beautiful and classy addition to the Provo Downtown area. The Center offers a retail store on the main floor. On the upper floor, offices and conference facilities are available for use by Distributor leaders and their guests."

My writing style is to freewrite, then go back through and polish a few times. Kind of like a picture on a website that loads progressively and gets sharper with each pass. Luckily, the polishing runs are much easier than the origination run. But I just don't feel much like putting words together today, much less doing any information gathering. Anyone want to take over?*sigh*

kat, all I can say is to drop the manual and write something fun for a while to get your brain going. I have a folder full of little snippets that I've written to get past the mental doldrums that often beset me on the job.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat,
I think teachers are SUPPOSED to say how much they love teaching, but in fact, it is like everything else, with good days, and bad days. In general, though, I truly do love my job. It is always a challenge, and I learn as much as I teach. It is just not a good time of year for my opinion, when every day seems to be about four days in one.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel your pain...I have been trying to get my masters proposal together and it has been rather stressful...and time consuming. It would not be so bad if the damn library was not under renovation which requires us to request any books we need over the internet and give them 24 hours to get the book out of storage.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I can go home as soon as I finish writing a glossary for an accounting manual. A GLOSSARY. An ACCOUNTING GLOSSARY.

On the upside, there are SO MANY things about which I can now say "I wrote the book on that."

----------

Edited because my twang should not be literally transcribed.

[ June 04, 2004, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

katharina
Member # 827

[Frown] I want to go play.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Not to brag, but I (hopefully - most likely) will get to spend the summer writing curriculum for parent empowerment activities in nutrition and health which will then be applied statewide at local program levels. (Is excited)We're talking family-friendly, fun stuff. Parent/family involvement all the way . . . yippee!!!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I get to do the graphics for and design the look and feel of the offical BSA e-commerce site this summer. That will be fun. [Smile] In fact, as soon as I get this horrendous accounting manual out of the way, that's what I'll be doing. That's why this stupid manual is such a big deal at the moment - I've been blowing it off for almost a month now.

---

I'm just bitter at the moment because I am at the section of the glossary that I completed yesterday. Unfortunately, something funky happened with RoboHelp and all of my work from yesterday was lost. If not for that, I'd be done!

[ June 04, 2004, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

katharina
Member # 827

For everyone waiting with baited breath - and I'm sure that's everyone here *sigh* - the stupid glossary is finally done, at least until Monday and the meeting where I'm sure everyone will come up with more terms in order to buy time for themselves before they write the remaining sections.

I'm feeling fairly qualified at the moment. Anyone need me to classify their not-for-profit contributions?

katharina
Member # 827

I'm dealing with four accountants to write the frequin' manual and this one is the sweetest and the worst writer. I'm not sure he quite gets the point of an accounting textbook - most of his submitted material is a 40 pages of DESCRIPTIONS of the SOFTWARE. That is NOT the same thing as outlining the principles of accounting. It also means the book will go out of date really quickly.

All right, volunteers. Who wants to tell him it's a bad idea?

Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Kat)))

If it's any consolation - I just had the mother of all crappy mornings. I designed a full color tri-fold brochure for the gallery and of course they wanted the ladies here at the drugstore (owned by the same guy) to print it out so it would be cheap. They couldn't even open my file to print it. So I drove 30 miles to a real printer, got the pages printed out (7 bucks for two 11 by 17's - I got an earful for paying that) and then the ladies here would just make color copies of them. Well, the non-ability to line them up properly wouldn't have been that bad by itself, but then the lady threw away my original by mistake. So the final brochure, with a half inch chopped off because the alignment wouldn't work (looks real nice, trust me), now has an inside that's two shades lighter and murkier than the outside. Looks exactly like someone made it up and printed it out at home.

This is exactly why I hate desktop publishing. People here don't know that the stuff they can make themselves is so crappy, bless their hearts, but no outside investor is going to take seriously a business with homemade graphics. <Sigh and general frustration>

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, I'm sorry. That sucks. [Frown]

I knew what you mean, though. I made a site once for a foundation in college, and they are maintaining it themselves. I can't even link to it anymore for my professional portfolio - they changed just enough that it now looks awful.

Here.

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Kat..

You're not still at work are you?

What kind of evil office hours do you keep?

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm on central time, so...9:00am or so to 5:00pm or so. [Razz]

There are a few things that suck about my job, but the office hours are NOT among them.

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Local Council Accounting Manual
[Sleep]

*pinchs kat to keep her awake*

Edited to acknowledge how oblivious I am about everyone's location. What? Do I think that everyone lives on the East Coast? Apparently!

[ June 17, 2004, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Tammy ]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does this thread always resurface on Friday afternoons?

Oh, wait. I know why. *yawns and stretches* Forty-five more minutes. I can do it.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but I wish I was in your time zone!
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*bump*

Is it bad if I've only been at work for forty-eight minutes, and I already want to leave?

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Will anyone notice if you do? Can't you edit from home or something?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yes, that's bad.

Try the grammar game at the site for Eats, Shoots and Leaves. Maybe that will help?

I forgot to bring new CDs for today. *pout*

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Will anyone notice if you do? Can't you edit from home or something?
Theoretically, I could work at home, I believe. But I edited from home at my last job, and it drove me crazy. And anyway, it's not the workplace, it's the project.
quote:
Try the grammar game at the site for Eats, Shoots and Leaves. Maybe that will help?
Ooh! Where?

Never mind. Found it.

Edit again: And sadly, it's just a simple punctuation game, and it's really short. *sigh*

[ June 17, 2004, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, it's bad if you want to leave after 48 minutes, but it's worse if you want to leave before you even get there.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's even worse if you want to leave after 30 minutes even though you like what you're doing. [Grumble]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Very true.
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
*strikes again*

Three more hours. I can make it.

Can't I?

Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup yup. You can do it!
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
But I have 4:45 left. [Frown]

I just can't go on like this.... [Cry]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
The day before a holiday weekend -- it is always DEAD around here. There are only about two people (out of 15) in my department still here today (yes, I'm one of them) <SIGH>

I actually just got two calls -- from employees who were HOME and having problems with their HOME machines they wanted to ask me about. Way to rub it in...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually our home office closes the doors at noon, or 2 at the latest.

Today they decided that since they are busy, we should be busy too.

1 hour to go, and I've got family in town looking for me. Oh well.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Entering student lates into a database. BLEH!

And just to make it more fun, while I was initially told to count from 8:35, and so did mental math each time (say, 8:41 = 6 min) when I wrote it down, NOW it's been changed, and I need to add back in five minutes to each time.

[Grumble] Would've been so much easier to count from 8:30 to begin with! [Wall Bash]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad it's not in Excel.

You could have done it easily with a formula!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it probably could be done formulaically. It's hardly worth it for 5 little minutes. (Just to clarify, until now the info has been on paper. Now it's being entered into the database.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.