FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Poison Tree

Author Topic: A Poison Tree
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

A Poison Tree
William Blake

I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe;
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I water'd it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with my smiles
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright;
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine,

And into my garden stole
When the night had veil'd the pole:
In the morning glad I see
My foe outstretch'd beneath the tree

Does anyone have any interpretations of this poem?

Edit: I left out the last line of the poem =/

[ June 11, 2004, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you post this just to bait english majors??

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]

Actually I saw the topic called "cherry tree" and it reminded me of this poem. And I like reading diff'rent interpretations of poems [Big Grin]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Ok, here's my attempt. The speaker got over his anger at his friend, but let the anger at his foe grow by continually feeding it with more angry feelings. The last stanza confuses me a bit. I need to think about it more. In one way it sounds like his foe finally did something to break the cycle of the speaker's anger, and the speaker is glad that it's over. But I'm not sure. Still thinking.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it complete? Seems like it's missing a line in the last stanza at least.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

But it also sounds like the foe took the fruit of the speaker's poison tree (tree of hate/anger) and the speaker is glad b/c he knows that the fruit is full of hate, which will eventually eat up his foe the same way in which it has eaten up him.

space opera

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Oh sorry - I just added the last line - I had left it out.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Ok, the last line helps! Boy, that speaker is one sick b*****d. [Taunt]

space opera

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

I don't understand why the foe would be outstreched beneath the tree? did the foe eat the apple?
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
ding ding ding!
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

I believe he did. Sounds like he was jealous of the beautiful fruit that the speaker grew and coveted it. However, joke was on the foe since the fruit grew on a tree of hate.

space opera

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Concealing your hate from a foe is like the night concealing a poison tree. The foe is lured to the apple because that's all he can see.

What is it that allures the foe when you conceal your hate? What does that apple represent? Your foe encroaches on your territory or risks another offense, but what is it that does him in?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgardu
Member # 242

- posted      Profile for edgardu           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this poem particularly well. According to my high school literature teacher, the author cultivated the fruit and offered it to his enemy as a token of friendship. So "arms outstretched beneath the tree" was the enemy opening his arms in friendship.

I thought that was a stupid interpretation. It seemed more like that the fruit was poisoned and the foe died from eating it. So "arms outstretched" to me was him lying dead.

I discussed it with my friends, including my opinion of my teacher. One of them was in another class but with the same teacher. When the teacher brought the poem up in his class, he came out contradicted her and told her how "he and Edgar discussed it and what we thought the correct interpretation was".

The next time I rolled my eyes in Lit. class, the teacher called me out. She started ranting about how I think I'm so smart and why if I'm so smart, why don't I come up and share my thoughts with everybody.

That upset me alright. Later on I was able to see that her reaction was because she must've realized I was right and she was wrong and I got comfort from that thought. [Evil]

Posts: 176 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like he grew the apple hoping for the final result. He was glad when his foe snuck over and ate it.

CT, for shame for suggesting that a Florida Gator might commit dishonest acts.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
According to my high school literature teacher, the author cultivated the fruit and offered it to his enemy as a token of friendship.
If it was offered as a token of friendship, why did the foe need to sneak in to take it?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

It sounds like the speaker knew that his foe would risk another offense, foresaw the nature of that offense, and set a trap.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgardu
Member # 242

- posted      Profile for edgardu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If it was offered as a token of friendship, why did the foe need to sneak in to take it?

[Dont Know]

She must've read the last lines first, formed a conclusion and then worked backwards, conveniently ignoring anything that doesn't fit.

How about "Invictus" by William Ernest Henly? How would you interpret this poem?

quote:

OUT of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Same literature teacher interpreted it as a man triumphantly reaffirming his faith in God. (I went to a religious school, btw). I could see how it could be that way. But personally, I thought it sounded more like a man throwing down his defiance.

I've always wondered about the first 2 lines in the last stanza. By "how strait the gate" does he mean the gate to heaven? And the scroll that he refers to, does he mean the Bible?

[ June 11, 2004, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: edgardu ]

Posts: 176 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

The earth is a black pit? Cool!

The speaker doesn't believe in the afterlife (just the shade of the grave), doesn't bow his head for anything, and he doesn't care about religion.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

Mmmm. I liked that poem. I pictured the speaker as saying that he's in charge of his own life and choices. No matter how difficult or easy life is, or what circumstances he finds himself in, he knows he can take it because he's always found a way through before. Though life has beat him up a bit, he's not giving up.

space opera

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

quote:
kaioshin, you're a University of Florida student, right? Is this for an assignment, or is it just for kicks?

Yes I'm a student...majoring in Computer Engineering... Im taking Programming 2, Biology 2, and Calculus 2 right now... I'm not trying to get any homework help...
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Haha ... I'm not big into poetry - English is my worst subject. It's just that the topic about cherry trees reminded me of the poem A Poison Tree, which is a poem I like [Cool]
zgator
Member # 3833

That's OK CT. I just wanted to be sure that we were all aware of the reputation for honesty my alma mater has. [Razz]

kaioshin, did you find Burrito Brothers yet? Yes, I know this takes away from the poetry, but this is an important part of your UF education. It's a shame CJ's isn't still around.

skillery
Member # 6209

Can we do Anyone Lived in a Pretty How Town someday?
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

No! where is this burrito brothers?? are you talking about Moes?
zgator
Member # 3833

It's on the west side of 13th about a block north of University.
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
For me the thing is that when you supress anger and nurture it by adding to it and nursing it, it bears a poisonous fruit. This fruit eventually kills. Usually the person killed is the gardener, but in this case the foe was fooled into eating the fruit. But now the gardener has a poison ridden corpse, and those are also problematic. He can bury it in his garden, but that will poison that patch of soil forever. If he leaves it to be eaten by the animals, he risks his own animals being poisoned. If he builds a monument around it, fencing it off, the rotting corpse leers at him from now on. Okay, okay, I took that way outside the actual text but I believe that is what Blake meant.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Your literature teacher was wrong on BOTH counts. Wow. *shudder* I think people should rely on Hatrack for all their english instruction.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, ak, have you read much blake?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Russell, yeah I have. Have you?
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.