FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Popcorn is evil

Author Topic: Popcorn is evil
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been workin on my programming homework for some time - and I've also worked up an appetite. Living with 3 roomates means that there is never any food in the apartment, and I'm financially lacking at the moment so I can't go out and buy some food. The one thing we do have to eat here is popcorn, so I've decided to warm it up.

Popcorn isn't the most filling thing, but it is quite greasy! This extra butter won't get off my fingers, and now the keyboard is all greasy, making it even harder to my work - I'm not that good at aiming my fingers at the keys in the first place. Curse popcorn, and dang it all the way to heck!!! [Wall Bash]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
Popcorn's not only greasy, the kernels get stuck in your teeth too, and it takes forever to get them out! But if you pop the popcorn in a popcorn popper, it's not so greasy.
Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
If only there was some sort of system that distributed water right to you! Then you could clean your hands.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
sheesh, man when does your school get out? I though mine was about the last (finals week ended friday), but you have us beat.

edit: learn to type

[ June 13, 2004, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: HollowEarth ]

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
popcorn's a mild irritant in comparison with ice-cream.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Nevermind. I see from your webpage that your taking credits for the summer term. Fooled me.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*tries to fry ice-cream*

*peers into deep-fat fryer*

*scallops a hefty single-serve, dusts it, and dumps it in*

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
I must protest. I'd have to say that about 70% of my daily food intake is popcorn. I cook it in the kettle and season it according to my mood. It's nothing but fiber and sodium - you really gotta love it.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*mutters to self*

"professor funk indeed!"

*turns up nose and pinches nose within a mm of it's life against the onslaught of the prof funky's popcorn farts*

*pheww!*

edit "definitely NOT loving it!"

[ June 13, 2004, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: fallow ]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked in a movie theater, and got to take home large garbage bags of popcorn. Now, I can only eat small amounts of popcorn. Tis a tragic story. [Frown]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to like popcorn. Then it gave me heartburn. Then it gave me heartburn again. Then I figured out that popcorn was the culprit giving me the heartburn.

Therefore, I will not eat it, Sam I am.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Am eating popcorn for the first time in months thanks to this thread. *glare*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob's popcorn:

Cook on stovetop in a nice enameled pot, preferably one that is tall and not broad based (keeps the popped popcorn away from the burner).

Turn heat all the way up. Add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Toss in 2 kernels. When those pop, it's ready to add the rest to cook it.

Put in enough kernels to cover the bottom of the pan, and then a little bit more.

Cover and move the pan over the heat rapidly until popping slows. Then remove from heat immediately and put in a large bowl.

Season with:

- garlic
- salt
- pepper
- curry
and then toss in some grated Parmesan.

Mix well.

Enjoy!

And don't try to type while eating this.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
mack, me too!

*stares into bowl now containing only unpopped kernels*

Um, at least I was.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
hahahahahahaha
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*shreds Parmesan and dusts face*

"mack me?"

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too! *stares at empty microwavable bag that I didn't share with Tom* I miss REAL popcorn, though. My family bought us a lifetime supply of Trail's End and ActII for some reason one Christmas, so we've been whittling our way through that.

[ June 13, 2004, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to make popcorn the other day and it tasted kinda stale, and some of the kernels at the bottom got burnt.

I'm guessing Bob's method will help with the burnt, but is the staleness something I can help or just a product of the kernels I'm using?

(And thanks to this thread, I will be going to make some as soon as I finish my morning cup of tea... mm, popcorn for breakfast)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
kernels go stale and dry out. sometimes you can re-hydrate them to make them taste better, but if they haven't been sealed air tight and are a few months to a year old, throw them away and buy something new
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Popcorn never stays around long enough to get stale at my house.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. I'm looking after someone else's house so I have no idea how old the kernels are. Maybe I'll buy some fresh ones today.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

*STALE-MATE(tm) poppyfresh!*

"argh!"

(in serious need of a good commercial theme here? little help?)

*whimpargh!*

Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to manage a movie theatre that did over $700,000 a year in the concession sales. We would cook over 250 pounds of raw kernels on a busy day. When I quit, I threw away all of my clothes because they were permeated with popcorn smell. It took me years before I was willing to eat the stuff.

Here's a hint on getting the largest popped kernels possible:

Do not add the oil first. Put the kernels in your frying pan (or popper) first. Heat the kernels until they are almost ready to pop by themselves. Then add the oil. You will not have to add as much oil as you did before and the kernels will be bigger and fluffier. We did it this way in the theatres because it saved on our expenses (fluffier kernels means that fewer kernels are used meaning that you are saving expenses),

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.