FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Strawberry Rhubarb Pie-- Anything I Should Know?

Author Topic: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie-- Anything I Should Know?
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done Blueberry, and Cherry pies from scratch (even pitted the cherries by hand) but I have never even TASTED a strawberry-rhubarb pie.

I know rhubarb can be tart, and I have a basic recipe. If it works well, I hope to make one for my papa the next time I visit (I'll have to use Splenda instead of sugar, as he is diet-controlled diabetic, but that should be okay).

Any experienced bakers with tips for me?

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Make raspberry-rhubarb pie instead. It's even yummier.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Make straight rhubarb pie - it's even better. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhubarb can be deceptively juicy. It looks so dry, but expect it to be as juicy as berries once it's cooked.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
My Aunt Helen would know, but she is no longer with us. You just gave me an all-sensory memory of her, though. Thank you, and sorry I have no advice.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Because you're using Splenda, it won't brown like it would with sugar (no caramelization). The Splenda web site says to spray the top of the pie with cooking spray so it will turn brown when baked.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never made rhubarb pie, but I've made strawberry /rhubarb and raspberry/rhubarb crisp. The recipe I've got calls for some oregano. I have no idea why it calls for oregano but it turns out delicious.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
My only experience with rhubarb anything was some strawberry flavored rhubarb things I bought once from Trader Joe's. They were repellant. Tasted like strawberry flavored wood.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom has an absolutely wonderful strawberry-rhubarb pie/crisp recipe that uses sour cream as the saucy stuff. It's very elegant and delicious with vanilla ice cream. I'll give you the recipe if you want it. I personally prefer the crisp with the rhubarb, but if you like pie better, it would be great that way too.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Strawberry-rhubarb crisp. mmmmmmmmmmmmm! *drools*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
What I do with my rhubard pies: (my favorite is rhubarb and peach, though strawberry is classic)

Mix a cup of flour and a cup of sugar and some nutmeg if you like, and sprinkle half of it on the bottom of the pie shell. Dump all the fruit in, and then dump the other half of the flour/sugar on top. Then put on the top crust. This provides all the sweetness you need, and also keeps the crust from getting soggy.

I'm not sure how this works with splenda, but I really like using a mix of raw sugar and brown sugar instead of granulated. Oh- and put pats of butter all over the top of everything right before you put on the top crust.

Mmmm.... boy!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always had stringy texture issues with any rhubarb I've encountered, though I don't mind the flavor. Is this because it wasn't prepared right?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I'd love recipes, if anybody wants to share. I have a feeling the rhubarb pie is going out of fashion. I have never in my life had one.

Turns out my recipe called for half strawberry half rhubarb filling, but I didn't have enough rhubarb. So it's two thirds strawberry one third rhubarb.

I want to keep trying different things until I get one that we like, so I can really have something good for my papa. I'm starting to be quite a cook.

Oh, and I'm not using Splenda in the crust, just the filling. Actually, I used sugar in this one, though I plan to try a Splenda one as soon as I get it right the regular way. Make sense? But I am more than willing to try any suggestions.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

If you are willing to use a little sugar, brush milk sweetened with sugar onto the top to make it nice and brown.
Beca
Member # 4340

- posted      Profile for Beca           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no advice, but strawberry-rhubarb pie is heavenly. [Smile] I'll be interested in hearing how yours turns out with the Splenda - I might try making one this summer.

(be-bop-a-re-bop-a-rhubarb-pie)

-Beca

Posts: 188 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm... pie. I love pie. Especially Strawberry Rhubarb. :drool:
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, one little piece can revive a guy...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhubarb filling? Surely with rhubarb in season, you are not using canned or prepared rhubarb are you? Is there even such a thing?

I also like apple-rhubarb pie, and like Annie, I use nutmeg and cinnamon which turned out pretty well. I've never tried peach or raspberry, but that sounds good, too!

The strawberries are usually sweet enough to mask the tartness of the rhubarb, so I don't usually put in anywhere near what the recipies call for sugar wise. I think I put in 1/4 to 1/3 cup. I like tart, though. The smaller the rhubarb stalks, the better the taste, too, I've been told.

Brush egg white on the top of your pie for that shiny golden look (or any pastry for that matter) Sprinkling with sugar is also good.

Anna, rhubarb is stringy, but should be pretty mushy by the time the pie is cooked. It could have been undercooked, though. Rhubarb looks like celery, so it definitely has to break down quite a bit before it is good pie/sauce texture.

I second the warning about the juice! The rhubarb and strawberries both will become mostly liquid.

I couldn't get my top crust to work one day so I did a "crisp" with flour, oats, butter and sugar sprinkled over the top. It was yummy.

I love rhubarb pie [Smile]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, raspberry-rhubarb sounds great... we've got lots of blueberries right now, has anyone ever tried making blueberry-rhubarb?

I like making rhubarb crisp. I cook the rhubarb on low on the stove -- I add enough water to keep it from burning, and then cook it until it's mushy. Then I mix in some raisins, cinnamon, brown sugar, and flour (for thickening). Then I add the crisp topping (oats, bran, oil, brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon) and bake until the top starts to get crispy... mmm, I should make some more soon, do one more rhubarb harvest before we leave the plants alone for the rest of the summer...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Strawberry Rhubarb is my favorite pie. My mother has a great recipe, but I have no idea where it is... we're HOPINg to coax a pie out of her next weekend.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
What's really good is blueberry peach pie. It sounds strange, but it's absolutely divine.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Mmm... my mom used to serve us peach slices and blueberries when I was a kid, I bet it's great as a pie...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
my mom does a pie with rhubarb and strawberry jello powder. I'll have to get the recipe from her and post it here. I wonder if you can use the sugar-free jello powder for it?
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I'm sure I could! [Smile]

The real sugar version of the pie is delicious. I'll have to try sugar-free next.

I used fresh Rhubarb, but you actually CAN get it frozen, I'm told. Haven't seen any but I didn't look.

katharina
Member # 827

It's hard to find - it is rarely in the stores when I look.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So how'd it turn out?!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I heard rumors it was delicious.
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
whenever I see Rhubarb, it reminds me of the fox show (which was canceled the year before last) John Doe. There was a woman in the show that loved Rhubarb pie. Kind of a strange thing to remember...but she was very attractive, so I guess that made her memorable.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I never have trouble finding frozen rhubarb in the supermarket here. [Dont Know] Decent fresh is hard to find though.

I still have fond memories of growing it in the backyard when we lived in NJ. I don't think it grows well out here -- not that I've ever tried.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

OK, I made blueberry-rhubarb crisp! It's OK -- similar to strawberry-rhubarb -- best part about it is the color, a very pretty blue/purple...

Rhubarb-apple is still my favorite, but I'll try making peach-rhubarb next... [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.