FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ridiculous or cryptic lyrics.

Author Topic: Ridiculous or cryptic lyrics.
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
noticing how many people switch lyrics around in the improved lyrics thread i got to thinking how many songs i absolutely adore that are just downright bizarre lyrically.

AT THE DRIVE IN is a perfect example of this. all of their songs are random as can be and i know they must make some sort of sense to the band but i'm lost myself.

THE BLOOD BROTHERS is another example of this.

[ July 15, 2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Almost any REM album has this aspect.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I have 3 CDs where all the lyrics are in Sanskrit, talk about cryptic!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
They Might Be Giants is playing in Dallas this weekend. They fit this thread.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

What do you mean? Aren't everone's shoes "laced with irony"?

Or "do you never know what you're going to find when you open up your letterbox tomorrow, because a little bird never tells you anything you want to know; she's your best friend, she's a sparrow?" I often have this problem.

[Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The sun is a mass of incandescent gas
A gigantic nuclear furnace
Where hydrogen is built into helium
At a temperature of millions of degrees

so, yeah.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Sun is hot, the Sun is not
A place where we may live,
But here on Earth there'd be no life
Without the light it gives.

My six-year-old got his first CD last month: Flood by TMBG.

<--Son has good taste. [Wink]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have 3 CDs where all the lyrics are in Sanskrit, talk about cryptic!
I have a couple or 3 where the lyrics are in Czech. But the vocals are too, so it's not so bad. [Big Grin]
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

- posted      Profile for Caitlin Strand   Email Caitlin Strand         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] My 7th Grade teacher taught me that : The suns is a mass... song! It's halarious.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the "Giants" songs make a lot of sense.

----

quote:
Almost any REM album has this aspect.
ramble:

It cracks me up that every wedding I've gone to plays the song that starts "This one goes out to the one I love."

Nevermind that the next lines are:
This one goes out to the one I've left behind.
A simple prop to occupy my time.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

PSI: Yeah, do they not get the tone of the melody? Peter Buck once said he thought it was pretty weird when he used to see people making out to "The One I Love" at concerts.

-Bok

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth noting that TMBG did not, in fact, write the Sun song. They just performed it. (Same goes for "Istanbul, not Constantinople.")

But I don't find their lyrics inscrutable, at least not compared to the weirder songs from REM and Tori Amos.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok- Plus, it's not like they don't repeat those lyrics an infinite number of times. And there aren't a whole lot of other words to detract from them.

[ July 15, 2004, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I find TMBG words very scrutable.

(Scrutable is the oppisite of inscrutable, isn't it? I mean flammable and inflammable are oppositte--er--nevermind)

Check out their kids music.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

This is totally random, like so much of what I've said today. But I really like Dan. All flattery aside, he's really sharp and funny. His kid is very, very lucky.
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
For truely cryptic lyrics, check out David Byrne. He went on a period of using "found lyrics", gleaned from Newspapers and other media. Witness "Born Under Punches" on the Remain in Light album.

Brian Eno has also been known to be random. And not just lyrically either....

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a couple or 3 where the lyrics are in Czech.
It seems to me that there should be some joke here about the musical comedy Chess, or inserting the word "mate," but I'm just not sharp enough to come up with it at the moment.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the cocteau twins

[ July 15, 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.