FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kerry's "Hat" Picture

Author Topic: Kerry's "Hat" Picture
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Why all the fuss? Kerry wore an outfit appropriate for the environment he was in. His face looks cute and genuinely happy. Again, why all the fuss?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite sure what you're talking about.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Any linkage?
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Republicans and Democrats alike are making a big fuss over a picture of Kerry wearing a blue clean suit when he visited a space center or something. I can't seem to find the linkage now. Maybe the tempest in a teapot blew over.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrmph, that's what i hate about American politics, everybody is so melodramatic...I say they need to learn from the brits and Taiwanaese, have a good brawl and get the pent up frustration out of their system.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Linky

I also don't see what the big deal is. Yeah, he looks kinda dorky, but he looked dorky wearing a bicycle helmet, too.

I don't vote according to coolness. [Dont Know]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
And that's why there's no Mr. President -- The Action Figure!
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
Just imagining the Clinton action figure makes me glad that there's not a line of Oval Office toys.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lincoln Action Figure! Press the button on his back, and the front of his skull flies off! Fun for the whole family!
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it. Wasn't he using appropriate clothing to the environment he was in?
Sheesh...politic campaigns are ugly everywhere, it seems.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Egads! After what we've done with LOTR action figures...

Whoops! I didn't say that. [Monkeys]

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, it's Drudge. Does anyone really expect better or smarter?
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
So it's Drudge's fault that the Dem campaign manager got in a tizzy about this?

[Confused]

edit: Or are you saying that they democratic campaign didn't respond to this until after Drudge posted the pictures?

[ July 28, 2004, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
No, mph. I'm almost positive the Dem. campaign manager responded to this long before trash like Drudge (maybe Fox News, too?) went apeshit over it. That makes chronological sense.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still confused what exactly they were responding too... How could this possibly be viewed in a negative light?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I'm saying, Hobbes! I agree with you.
Maybe they're noticing something I (and you, of course) did not see.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Huh. I must have missed that. I only saw where Drudge was printing the transcript of the democratic campaign manager freaking out. I didn't see where Drudge, Fox News, or anybody else got in a tizzy about it.

Could you give us a link?

Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

quote:
I'm still confused what exactly they were responding too... How could this possibly be viewed in a negative light?

There are plenty of people dumb enough to vote for or against a candidate based on petty stuff like this (i.e. looking silly in a picture). While some on this board would have you believe that these people are all Republicans, that's sadly not true. Fence-sitters are not immune to stupidity.

[ July 28, 2004, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Mean Old Frisco ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I refuse to believe that a significant percentage of the population is that stupid, even though I know it's true.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really, really sad.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Truth be told, those suits make everyone look like a dork. It doesn't matter what you look like before you put one on.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no story here. If this is what people consider an embarassing picture then they are really reaching for something to talk about.

Trust me, I work for NASA, that is NOT A SPACE SUIT! No astronaut ever wore anything like that in his or her ride to space. The type of suit Kerry and company are wearing is a fabric garment that covers you from head to toe and prevents particles from contaminating spaceflight hardware. Engineers, technicians, and scientist always wear these suits in a clean room environment where spaceflight hardware and equipment is being prepared for launch. From the pictures, it looks like Kerry and company are in the crew cabin of one of the space shuttles. If that is the case, then it is a REQUIREMENT to wear that type of suit since it would designated as a clean room area. Besides, everybody I know always looks dorky in these suits; they are worn serve a function, not to make a fashion statement.

-nal

[ July 28, 2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: naledge ]

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

naledge

[Hail]

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
They are also required wearing in TV studios designed to send a real bar of chocolate to TV sets.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, mph. I'm almost positive the Dem. campaign manager responded to this long before trash like Drudge (maybe Fox News, too?) went apeshit over it. That makes chronological sense.
It's one thing to be mad at the press for posting a picture that makes your candidate look bad (for the record, it was the NY Post).

It's another thing to accuse NASA of releasing the picture for political reasons.

Dagonee

[ July 28, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They are also required wearing in TV studios designed to send a real bar of chocolate to TV sets.
LOL, forgot about that! oompah-pah-loompah-pah

-nal

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Child of the Mind
Member # 1740

- posted      Profile for Child of the Mind           Edit/Delete Post 
I can see the headlines:

KERRY PHOTOS DEPICT SCANDAL OF THE CENTURY: NASA-GATE

KERRY CAUGHT IN COMPROMISING SITUATION WITH SPACE SUIT

KERRY: "I DID NOT HAVE RELATIONS WITH THAT SPACE SUIT"

KERRY LOOKS SILLY, FACES IMPEACHMENT

KERRY ONLY WORE THE SPACE SUIT FOR OIL

Posts: 23 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The only person who looks like a dork here is the campaign manager for making such a big deal about it and trying to make it sound there is a vast dorky picture conspiracy out there.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The campaign manager should have instead used this to their advantage -- a great photo op. Used it to build him up in some way.....

Campaign manager must not have a degree in marketing...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
as others have said it seems silly that the dems have made a big deal over it. Hell, they should have used it as a plus, saying that Kerry enjoyed going to NASA where he could learn things that Bush could never understand. Not only would they show how Kerry supports NASA they could get a dig at Bush in. [Smile]

Sure he looks sort of dorky...but he always looks dorky, so it is not really a big deal. His campaign is acting like NASA released nude photos from a changing room or something. lol, he is wearing a clean suit it is not something to be embarrassed about.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't click on the links, the fact that Kerry made the news by wearing a clean suit is a little disturbing in and of itself. Is it usually smeared with...no, I can't finish.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, kat. And you thought my 800 pound holy spirit joke was bad...

[ July 28, 2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

Dag, I just don't know what you're talking about. *blink*

[ July 28, 2004, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Well, the suit was blue.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's the most natural-looking smile I've seen on Kerry.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Lmao

It's not like he's wearing women's underwear, people! [ROFL] And if he were, would we think any differently about him? [ROFL] [ROFL] (wipes tear) [Cry]

Maybe I'm the only one to find that funny.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.