FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I got this chain letter on my AIM today

Author Topic: I got this chain letter on my AIM today
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because of our overloading of our servers, we are being forced to extract our non-active AIM users. Because this is a free service, AOL has exceeded the budget for the AIM service. We are asking that you send this exact message to 20 other AIM users to ensure us that you're an active AIM user. Our system tracking devise will pick up this message to keep you on our active list. You have 72 hours to complete this task or your service will be cancelled immediately. Starting August 10, 2004 we will be charging a small fee for registering of a screen name for AIM. Thank you for your time and for using AOL or AIM.
I sent this reply:

SfcMe: i can NOT believe you fell for a ridiculous chain like that

SfcMe: :-P
SfcMe: First of all, AIM is a free service, not because AOL has set aside a budget for it, but because AOL sells millions of dollars worth of advertising through it. AOL is not losing money on AIM, it's making a damned killing because of the number of AIM subscribers. If they removed users, THEN they would lose money. Also, when you sign up for AIM, you include an email adress through which AOL can contact you with updates. Not to mention the small fact that the word "device" is misspelled. I doubt that an official release from AOL Time Warner would be sent out in the form of a chain letter with misspelled words. And since "device" isn't exactly an SAT word, I'm betting that the chain was started by a 13 year old somewhere in North Dakota with nothing to do but play on the internet while eating ice cream with his shirt off.
:-P

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Because this is a free service, AOL has exceeded the budget for the AIM service

To ensure that there is no excess in budget, we provide absolutely NO technical help for it over the phone. Heh.

quote:
We are asking that you send this exact message to 20 other AIM users to ensure us that you're an active AIM user.
Yeah, that line just cracks me up.

quote:
I doubt that an official release from AOL Time Warner would be sent out in the form of a chain letter with misspelled words.And since "device" isn't exactly an SAT word, I'm betting that the chain was started by a 13 year old somewhere in North Dakota with nothing to do but play on the internet while eating ice cream with his shirt off.

I for one wouldn't be too surprised with some of the things AOL cooks up. I also wouldn't be too surprised if this was sent out by someone 18 or over.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, that is great. I have never seen a chain letter on IM before.

My favorite chain letter was a parody on chain letters. In included text making fun off all the common chain letters that were going around. It closed out with this text

If you forward this letter to 1-5 of your friends then 1-5 of your friends will think you are a moron

If you forward it to 6-10 of your friends, then 6-10 of your friends will think you are a moron

If you forward it to more than 10 of your friends, then you will no longer have any friends.

[ August 03, 2004, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caitlin Strand
Member # 6631

- posted      Profile for Caitlin Strand   Email Caitlin Strand         Edit/Delete Post 
his may be a bump, but its still relevent. I have hotmail, and there was a chain exactly like that, and my friend bielived it. He sent it to me twice, i got so mad after the third time that i sent an email virus worm thing that i got and contained at him. Norton killed it, but it was a good conversation piece.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.