FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are you doing at work?

Author Topic: What are you doing at work?
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished writing a series of queries and macros in Access that will work with a form to write the base configuration for a PIX firewall.

I'm very pleased with myself. And before anyone says anything, yes, I know there are probably programs out on the internet that can do the same thing.

But I made this.

Now I'm going to go soak my head in warm water.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
7:43 AM here -- just got to work, drinking my cappacuinno (sp?) and checking my morning Hatrack....

pretty soon I'll have to turn on the phones..

[Big Grin]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Scott -- since you apparently work with forms (at least in Access) let me ask you this -- have you taken a look at the new InfoPath (that is part of the Office 2003 install? I'm supposed to maybe go to some training on it -- maybe using it to replace all our current Outlook forms in our public folders on the Exchange...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not working, but I'll soon leave hatrack to prepare my classes.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been kind of underwhelmed with InfoPath, as it appears most useful only in a SharePoint environment pulling off an accessible ODBC backend -- which, so far, my boss won't let us implement. Its form controls are considerably less user friendly than Access', so its only real advantage is its greater datasource flexibility.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Tom -- Does InfoPath use VBA? I know they say it is ".Net" but isn't .Net a platform, and it is using VBA on .Net -- or am I misunderstanding?

FG

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Never used InfoPath-- think of me as a cro-magnon Access user. I know just enough about it to be able to write queries and macros, and make some nice forms, but little else.

That's why I'm undertaking this project-- to get a little practical experience.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for the water bath in the radioactive room to get to 80 degrees Celcius so I can put two protein-embedded membranes there in a container filled with Stripping Solution.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Does InfoPath use VBA?"

It can. It doesn't have to.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm switching the order of all questions and options in every assignment in a course that is undergoing revision.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished smartcard enabling the system I administer, and now I'm doing an inventory of users for the finance dept. Wheee!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm making a mock up of a possible new design for the framework of ScoutNET.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm leaving.

No really, this is my lat day here, I go back to college Monday morning. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Not at work yet, but yesterday I made diplomas. Printed 'em out on our laser printer on nice paper with a fancy border, then applied a gold seal that I stamped with our stamping-thing. The seal also holds on a tail of green (to go with the border) ribbon. Then got 'em signed by the principals and mounted each in its own embossed folder.

They looked pretty good. [Smile]

[ August 06, 2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

When I was painting houses during college, I always had a radio tuned to the local NPR station, so the people whose windows I was hanging just outside of had to put up with Morning Edition, The Walt Bodeen show (a local program featuring an incredibly old and possibly senile interviewer of mild local fame), Talk of the Nation, Fresh Air, and All Things Considered, along with discussions between me and my fellow painters on the topics being aired. I expect that for some of our clients, that was as maddening as what you're having to put up with, CT, but it made the job a lot of fun for me!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

- posted      Profile for ghost of xnera   Email ghost of xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am waiting for email replies so I can fill out a form for someone. Yes, part of my job involves filling out forms with information that someone emails to me. Really, they could do it themselves. I am not at all sure why I need to do it.

After that I get to give myself a headache trying to wrap my head around some numbers. There are two types of mathy folks: those who are good at arithmetic, and those who are good at Calculus. I am most definitely the latter. Trying to figure out why these blasted numbers don't add up has me cursing and reaching for the Tylenol.

But it's not all torture. I get to write SQL queries and run them, which I like. And during the downtime I amused myself by writing a macroed-to-death spreadsheet that will automate part of my workflow and relieve MUCH of the tediousness of my job. Except I am still working out the bugs. No, not the programming bugs -- the blasted which-numbers-go-with-what bugs.

Stupid numbers.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Hatracking, apparently.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Playing Kingdom of Loathing [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What are you doing at work?
Good question...why am I here??

::leaves::

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearing my desk and filing all the piles of paper on it.

Writing a sermon.

Counting the minutes (207) until it is time to leave for the airport to pick up Bob.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Taking a break before fixing lunch. My schedule so far this day:

Wake up, make up bed, brush teeth. Get dressed, unload dishwasher, cook breakfast (out of cereal) Load breakfast dishes in dishwasher. Cuddle on couch with kids. Hand sew some pillow seams, talk to cousin about getting together when the kids are in school.

Now, it's check hatrack and check on Ebay stuff until time to cook lunch. After lunch it will be cleanup, laundry, then run errands to mail out stuff sold on Ebay.

All in all, a very normal day.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, about an hour ago I got the mail...

Since then I've been sitting. Watching the phone. Lamenting the fact that playing receptionist for the week leaves me stranded here at the desk with naught but the computer to look at. Oh well. At least I get to check my email 20+ times a day.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
11:30am - On duty. Made rounds. All secure.

12:30pm - At desk answering phones and assisting guests.

1:30pm - Made fire extinguisher inspection. Found all extinguishers marked on map except two, one missing from room A-3 and one missing from room C-1. Was not able to get into cage by Steve Mokrenski's office to inspect. All inspected were fully charged except for one by the welders' station. All were dated and signed.

2:30pm - At desk answering phones and assisting guests.

3:30pm - Made rounds. All clear.

4:30pm - Made rounds. Locked cafeteria.

5:30pm - Made rounds. Locked classrooms and main doors.

6:30pm - Made rounds. Locked main doors. Turn off lights.

7:30pm - Set alarm and locked up keys. Off duty.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

sounds dull, Telp...

(kinda like my job)

However -- Whoo hoo for me........!

I just went down to the Public Library during my lunch hour because it is such BEAUTIFUL weather here today I felt like walking around. Off to the side of the library is a little shop where "Friends of the Library' sale off books that the library is casting out for whatever reason. And there, I found a hard-back copy of WYRMS for 50 cents! (1987 edition). I'm happy now -- I have Wyrms at home, but in paperback I think. I like to have hardback copies of everything.

Then stopped at the corner hot dog stand vendor guy standing out there and got me a New York style hotdog, chips, pickle and pop ....

Which makes this the most perfect lunch hour all month.

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

Farmgirl, if you want to get rid of your paperback Wyrms now that you have the hardcover, I'd be interested. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Farmgirl me too! On the hardback book thing. If it's a new book I think I'll like I might buy it in paperback, then if I really do like it I'll buy a second-hand hardback later, either from Ebay or Amazon auctions.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Today I've done 3 pap smears, removed 3 skin tags and a mysterious skin lesion, admired shingles, hives, and toenail fungus, and adjusted blood pressure and diabetes medications. So far. Now I get to plow through a two inch pile of work mail.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Ugh, I hate skin tags. Off topic, Theca, my cousin with PCOS said the doctor told her skin tags were common with the disorder. Have you found that to be true?
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a meeting all morning. Now I'm just killing time until my afternoon meetings which will last until the end of the day. Someone decided all meetings will be held on Fridays to discourage people from taking spontaneous long weekends.

I think I need more Dilbert in my life.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Skin tags? That's what bathroom surgery is for. [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Are skin tags those annoying little blips of skin that one occasionally gets that protrude a little less than a millimeter? If so, I had one on my eyelid, but my dermatologist recently removed it. I was going in to have a plantar wart burned off my foot, but she saw the eyelid thing and volunteered to remove it.

What causes those things, anyway?

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Belle. Multiple skin tags are common both in PCOS and in diabetes. I assumed it has something to do with insulin resistance, but I haven't figured out why it happens or why it happens in some people with those conditions and not others. It is also more common in women, elderly people, and obese people.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Weird. I mean, I've had them, but I don't remember reading much about them when I was studying up on PCOS.

Thanks!

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Whenever I get one of those disgusting things (and fortunatly it's not often) I just get out my knives and scissors and go to town.

Pass the peroxide please...

*slice*snip*

Ahhh... body is purged of mutant things. [Smile]

[ August 06, 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I just put the finishing touches on a catalog I designed for our retrospective show tonight. Unfortunately, I got vetoed on the idea of a full color booklet, so it's black and white with helvetica text and very boring.
I was having fun with the cover, doing a giant image of leather with embossed lettering, but they told me I had to put some art on it. A nice cowboy or something. Sigh. I guess I'm working in the wrong state and the wrong gallery to think cowboy art is dumb.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
9:30 Make it in
10 Start reading a paper on how to track a person through a sequence of images
10:15 Discovered I didn't know how to do some key part
10:20 Find and print paper that *should* help
11 Discover that the end of the paper holds the algorithm that explains exactly what must be done and the other 3/4 of the paper were just telling why it worked.
11:30 Advisor decides to hold meeting about Grant proposal that I read last night.
11:45-1 Talk with advisor about how our work fits into this proposal. Get assigned to write a page about this. Talk about future proposals and big picture directions for work.
1-Come back to lab stare at vision thing some more while eating lunch. Come up with questions.
1:15 Ask guy who recommended paper a bunch of questions and get answers. Come up with 2 ways the approach could be approved. Keep that in back of mind for future work.
1:30 run into friend and now have plans for chickenpotpie dinner mmMMMMmm
2 Start implementing approach. Find lots of errors in already written code.
2:30 take a break and read hatrack.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

- posted      Profile for ghost of xnera   Email ghost of xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently I am cursing the people who send me a form that is filled out incorrectly. The whole point of this form is to request monies to cover expenses. What did they forget to fill in? The total amount being requested.

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Phone calls to teachers to confirm they will be at the meeting in two weeks. [Razz]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

going home! [The Wave]

FG

NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in hatrack chat and googling for time displacement. It really needs to be 5 o'clock. Work is cramping my style.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm following up on a study of skin irritations implicating a corrosion control water additive, investigating numerous reportable diseases and preparing for a huge statewide exercise next week that we've been working on since January. The exercise is Thursday and I fly out on the red-eye Friday night for my daughter's wedding in Idaho.

But there's always room for Hatrack. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
If I was at work, I certainly wouldn't be able to read this topic.

Lousy, no-good, fancy desk job people with your fancy diplomas and degrees....

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
19:50 - I have been at work for approximately two hours. I have about ten more to go. It is the first of three days. I cannot wait for Monday.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Things I've accomplished at work:

1. Figured out how to do a rubics cube. Forgot how, and figured it out again.

2. Read half of the discworld series.

3. Figured out what rhythm is.

4. Memorized lyrics.

5. Bought plane tickets, and planned out trips.

6. Kingdom of Loathing

7. Read through LotR's again.

8. Taught coworkers about binary, and explained c++ codes.

Right now, I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs, counting down the minutes till I go home and get food.

[ August 06, 2004, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Anti-Chris ]

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.