FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Genes Play Only a Small Role in Synesthesia

Author Topic: Genes Play Only a Small Role in Synesthesia
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm not saying that our resident synesthete is a cyborg. According to this New Scientist article, synesthesia can be attributed to brain plasticity more than any kind of genetic predisposition toward the condition.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
All growing up I associated colors with letters and numbers, even days of the week and months of the year. But I don't so much anymore. [Dont Know]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I still do, but probably not as strongly as I did when I was younger. What has intensified for me as I've gotten older, though, has been the association between scent and pitch, and scent and color. Pain is the same way.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

The whole thing about experiencing scents with other stimuli sounds so cool. I have never experienced anything like that--the idea kinda appeals to my imagination.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I've always liked it. It seems...I don't know, richer, I guess, than experiencing it without.
beverly
Member # 6246

I would also love to be one of those females that can see an extra color. I forget what that condition is called though.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Meanwhile, I would be happy just to be able to see color like a normal human. [Razz]

[ August 23, 2004, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

[Frown]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Those women are called tetrachromates because they can pick up 4 different colors, while most of us can only pick up 3. Then there are those that can only pick up 2.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I've never heard of that! Cool! I love learning new stuff!

::heads off to google::

delicate flower
Member # 6260

- posted      Profile for delicate flower   Email delicate flower         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve always associated letters/numbers/days/months with colors. I’ve never really thought much about it, though. I never know it was a “condition.” I read the article, but I have to wonder: what does it mean? Is it just a little quirk as I always thought, or is it symptomatic of something else? Thinking about it now, I guess I’ve always unconsciously linked it to being slightly dyslexic when I was young. (I’ve mostly grown out of that, although I do sometimes stumble when dealing with numbers or reading aloud.) I probably make this connection because I was learning my number, letters, etc when my teachers noticed the dyslexia, so it probably has nothing to do with it.

I have a ton of work on my desk and really don’t have time to research this. Can someone just reassure me that this is not a sign of some other problem I’ve never been aware of? I have to admit that thinking about this is getting me a little freaked out. I will definitely look up synesthesia when I have more time, but for now, please put my mind at ease.

I also mentally assign gender to letters/numbers/days/months. Is that part of synesthesia, or just me being weird? I know other people do this too, that’s why George Eastman named his company Kodak (he thought “K” was masculine, I’ve always thought it was feminine.) But, George Eastman was a strange man himself, I’m not sure I like that comparison.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I always assumed the color association (at least for me) was due to the fact that these things were taught to me as a young child using bright colors to hold my interest. Big, friendly, colorful letters of the alphabet and so forth. I remember being taught each letter was a specific character. All the consonants were male and the vowels female. I have thought of it that way ever since.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
It's OK, beverly, being slightly red-green deficient doesn't really impact my life much. Actually, the funny thing is that I didn't even know I was colorblind until I was like 15 or 16. My family took a trip up to San Francisco and at the Exploratorium they had some of those Ishihara tests in an exhibit about vision. I tried them out just from curiosity and to my surprise failed the red-green one.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I've heard that happens a lot, where the individual doesn't realize they are colorblind. I don't know much about it. I am always curious about the differences in others perceptions. You know, like what if someone else's blue is my red?
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder that exact same thing, Bev. And there'd really never be any way of knowing, would there?

I've read that Synesthesia can be associated with eidetic memory. This was the case in the most famous case of eidetic memory, and for the life of me I can't remember the psychologist's name who published the study on the Russian guy who he called "Mr. S." It was studying this patient that led to the first recognitions of synesthesia.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine from high school went on to teach the blind. I asked her one time how she could teach colors to someone who can't see. I think she said she tried to describe them in terms of the emotions they typically cause. Such as red is associated with passion, anger, etc., blue is associated with calming.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
There is one song that always makes me think blue and it feels blue, too. Porcelin by Moby. Sometimes pain makes me feel a bright red.

Nothing more than that, though.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my music related synesthesia and associating things with scents has gotten stronger.
Must be isolation in a way... hmmm

Like, for example, kids that have unusual art or math skills, why do they lose them when they become more outgoing?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Like, for example, kids that have unusual art or math skills, why do they lose them when they become more outgoing?
This is just my opinion, but I think they let go of them because they are not "cool". Or being social takes the place of really pursuing those gifts. But for whatever reason, intelligence and skills are not highly valued by young peers. They are more likely to cause jealousy and mocking.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.