FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's that time again, school time that is. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: It's that time again, school time that is.
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to address the whole of Hatrack and say, *takes deep breath* I don't want to go, I don't want to learn, I don't want to get up before the sun rises, and I don't want to put up with people my own age who don't have a single once of intelligence in them.

I liked summer, I spent a month working in New Mexico on a scout ranch, a month just hanging out with friends and working my normal jobs and almost a month escapading around the UK.

Why do older people insist I further my education when I've already found a trade that I love and am more than capable of doing. If I must continue to learn I'd rather do it through an internship of some kind, that way at least I wouldn't get stuck in Biology with my little sister (I'm not joking, my freshman sister is in my bio class.)

Ok, I'm done now.

[Cry] [Cry] [Cry] [Cry] [Cry] [Cry]

Ok, now I'm really done, honest.

[ August 24, 2004, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel your pain.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
when I've already found a trade that I love and am more than capable of doing
Which trade is this?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha you started school...wait a second... [Wall Bash]
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a theatrical Rigger. My job consists of climbing into the rafters of a given venue and setting anchor points for all the rigging. I then hang the rigging, and then hang the gear (lights, sound clusters, scenery, etc....)
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
J.T. Stryker, drug smuggler

"If my rectum doesn't get your drugs where they need to go, you get your money back, guaranteed...or my name isn't J.T. Stryker!"

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Oh, darn. He posted before I did. That screws up the funny. [Frown]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you actually live alone on the money you made if you were working full time, and is full time work available in that profession? (Theatrical Rigging... not drug smuggling)

AJ

[ August 24, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Man, oh man, do I love the name J.T. Stryker! It's like it's just begging for an exclamation point after it! Plus, it makes any profession sound really cool!

J.T. Stryker, detective!
J.T. Stryker, gadfly and man about town!
J.T. Stryker, assassin for hire!

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Sorry. Getting carried away here. Sorry, J.T.. (I really do love that name. [Smile] )
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't want to go, I don't want to learn, I don't want to get up before the sun rises, and I don't want to put up with people my own age who don't have a single once of intelligence in them."

I don't want to go, I don't want to teach, I don't want to get up before the sun rises, and I don't want to put up with people one-fourth my age...

I want to be independently wealthy, darn it. Why did trust funds pass me by? Why, oh why?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

The name is Stryker, J T Stryker, Blind Fool Extraordinaire.

AJ: Yes I can and am planning on making a living out of being a rigger. The pay is good I make 24.50 an hour as a part time hourly. I'm most likely going to go on the road as a roady when I get out of school. I know it's not the easiest way to make a living, but well, I was born and raise a theatre bum, it's something I know, and something I love. many performers say their is no feeling like being on stage, I maintain building it is better.

Hey Elizabeth, If you (the teacher) don't show up to classes, neither will we (the students).

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

JT,

Deal!

(Kidding) I love teaching, but I have always taught the off-the-beaten-track kids. This year, I am jumping into the "mainstream," and I am frightened of the children who will do their homework.

By the way, I know someone who makes a bundle doing theater lighting. What a neat thing to do!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Don't worry, us mainstream kids are just more creative about getting out of home work, and we are also rather good at counting points and figuring out the bare minimum required for a B.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Phew!
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I LIKE going to school.

I am very sick.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You see, Annie, you are a frightening woman! When YOU were ten, I bet you were really scary.

Seriously, though, it will be first time I have taught kids who really enjoy learning, and don't fight it every step of the way. (and I realize I will still have my share of those who don't)Everyone tells me I will love it, but Ireally am scared! Sounds silly, but it is true.

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Annie, your not sick, just perverted. [Taunt]
Highway to Hellen
Member # 6802

- posted      Profile for Highway to Hellen   Email Highway to Hellen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like school either,but without it I wouldn't be able to sit in the back of the class room and giggle at my history teacher who looks like Mr.Smee and talks like Forest Gump. Oh the simple pleasures in life... [Wall Bash]
Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

so your scared to have students who fear the "Maybe I should contact your parents" threat? WOW! What subjects will you teach?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to be starting class again tomorrow. I've done most of my reading already, and it's still fun, even when it's dry stuff about jurisdictional elements of federal crimes.

This bodes well for me.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

I have to read The Invisible Man by 8am tomorrow, I don't think it's going to happen [Evil] [Evil Laugh] [Wall Bash]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

JT,
The students I have taught are immune to that threat. The standard response is: "Good luck trying to get them." (They are screeners from way back)

I will be teaching fifth grade math and reading. (middle school setting)

Edit: My one ace in the hole is that my sense of humor never really progressed past fifth grade.

[ August 24, 2004, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
read it during third period and lunch, oh and go to A lunch, your friends wiil be there.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Well the reading class could be fun, I wouldn't hold my breath on the math class though.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I like teaching math. I love it, in fact, though I hated it in high school with a passion.

Funny, though I was an English major, English is the subject I least want to teach.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a teacher, but last school year I did cadet teaching, and I realized that math is the most fun to teach (first graders, so a concept I actually like, counting). But I hate math generally, so I think that must be a normal thing.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

I'll arrive at school in 11 hours. [Wall Bash]
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, J.T., I bet you'd luuuuv to study where I teach. Never a dull moment. [Wink]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I started school a week ago! The day after we got back from KamaCon, so you're lucky! Although I do like most of my classes, however boring they may be. [Roll Eyes] And, of course, there's always tennis practice to look forward to.........it's about the only thing I really look forward to. [Razz] Oh, and wish me luck on my tennis meet on Thursday! Varsity doubles, whoo-hoo! [Big Grin]

Ivygirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Whihc scout ranch were you at?
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you work Stryker? I know the name of the ranch. I was wondering what ya did. I worked at the mess hall in 1998 if you had a come back question.

edit to add: Anthro: 99.9% chance it was Philmont Scout Ranch. It is the best one to go to.

[ August 24, 2004, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Luck Ivy girl

[Razz] @ Stryker

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I stil have a long two weeks until school starts. Is 10th grade anything special, or is another sleeper year?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numb
Member # 6748

- posted      Profile for Numb   Email Numb         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting High School in a little less than two weeks. Where I'm excited to have the added independence that comes with it, I'm also extremely unready to have the relaxation of summer gone. The thing I'm going to miss the most though, is of course the sleep.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
At least Invisible Man is shorter then Anna K. I have about 700 pages to read in the next 6.5 hours. Somehow I don't think I will get done. I am excited about school though. At least about orchestra.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
School... I really can't remember doing anything but school or internship these last two years. During my first year in Computer Science I was able to go home for Christmas and Easter, but then... Half a month to look for an internship, one month and a half of actual internship work, 3 weeks of break - I just went home and crashed - then another month of internship. The day after I finished it I was back in school for what turned out to be the hardest year ever. I still went home for Christmas... Not for Easter though, I had my final exams one week after the holiday so I thought I'd stay here and study. After the finals I spent almost a month looking for another internship, and now here I am, with three more days of work. And guess what ?! Next week I'll go to Montreal and start school on the 7th of September. I really want out of school.......
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]

*cough*

I mean... [Group Hug]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

I was an Instructor In the Junior Leadership taining Program at Philmont, hopefully I'll be a ranger next year, thats more fun.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
No you don't Stryker. Their days off stink, if you get them at all. It does have its perks though. So I guess ya should give it a shot. Bio class....I met my best friend in that class. Was never in any classes with my sister though. She did get annoyed at all the "Are you Nathan's sister?" comments. And some of those came from the teachers. Oh well, my buddy Chris was in my bio class and the teacher looked around the classroom on the first day and started pointing out people of which he taught their parents. Yeah, this guy was old.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
A) I know a couple of kids who were big into Philmont. We mocked them mercilessly [Wink]

B) I'm looking forward to class starting up again. I miss a structured day. Sure, I go to work, but it's ridiculously flexible - where else can I come in somewhere between the hours of 8:00 and 10:30 am? It's almost too flexible. With class, though, you have to be there. Especially with foreign language classes (I'm only taking three this fall...). I'm excited for all of my classes, as well. Greek, Latin, German, Ballroom Dance, and "Troy: Myth and Reality." What could be better?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Three languages, Carrie! I'm impressed!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
<---- starts university on the fifth...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always taken at least 16 credits a semester. This semester, being my last, I have two classes and two thesis papers.

Two classes! I don't know what to do with myself.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Today was the worst day of my life. I arrived bright and early, 7am, in order to show my little sister who is now a freshman where her classes are. Upon finishing I headed towards the SOS (Sounds Of South) to talk to Miss Witten about when She needed me to start helping out with their fall musical. I went and talked to her, but I was getting some weird vibes from the kids in SOS. I found out at in my first period, Chemistry, that I'm "the scum of the universe". You see last year at the end of the year I had a fling with one off the SOSers (the prom girl). SOS has been having rehearsals for about a month now and she has been telling her side of the story, which is even less flattering than the truth, and now has started a SOS boycott of me. I enjoyed working with that group, there's a lot of talent, and laughs around those people. Not to mention the fact that they spill over into the only other school group I can still claim to be part of, Theatre South. I mean I still have friends at south, but well..... ok, here's an example. I'm at lunch, I just got out of line and I go to sit down with my normal group, some of which are close friends. When I sit at the table, I was informed by a member of SOS that I'm "not invited to sit" with them. My friends stayed an I ended up eating lunch by myself in the middle of the cafeteria at the only empty table left. The best part of this whole situation is, the fact that if I quite working with SOS, Miss witten, who I enjoy working for, will be left high and dry, and feel like she's done something. I really can't do that to her, I mean sometimes she's unreasonable and I wish she'd die, but she's always so nice, and acts genuinely concerned when I appear to be tired and over-worked. I can't believe some of the SOSers would do this, I mean some of them are the nicest sweetest people I know, true those are the one that just aren't talking to me, instead of flat out assaulting me. [Cry]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

This sucks, J.T.

Do you think it will burn itself out over a few weeks and maybe they will get tired of their own attitudes? I know in some schools things like this can be fleeting....

FG

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

I hope so [Cry]
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Sucks to be you.
I hope your day gets better remember, as we mexicans say, "no hay mal que por bien no venga", or theres no evil that doesn't come from some good". or theres also that one that says that bad times have a good face, or "Al mal tiempo buena cara".

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

(((stryker))) I'm so glad I'm out of that place, but I admit some of the people are very nice and some... IM me if you wanna talk about it.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.