FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My best friend got in a car accident... (Updated: he's been transfered to Montreal)

Author Topic: My best friend got in a car accident... (Updated: he's been transfered to Montreal)
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I found out today.

He's here in Montreal just like me, he's doing a masters at McGill. He went on a trip to Quebec City for the weekend and none of his roomates knows anything ever since.

This morning I received an e-mail from my brother, from France, saying that he was in a car accident. He didn't say where, at which hospital he is, when exactly, or anything else. Later, from another friend I found out that he's apparently in critical state. His parents found out - probably from his contact in Canada, then the information got to one of his friends in Lyon, and that's how my brother and others have found out too...

I've went to his home and I found a note from a friend of his to call her, but haven't been able to reach her, or another person whose number was also on the note...

I just came from the International Students' Office here at Concordia, and somebody there tried to contact the hospitals or McGill, but until now there's no information. Somebody from McGill who might know more is suppose to come back from lunch in around half an hour and then I'll go back and see what I can find.

I'm fearing the worse, since he didn't tell anyone directly to e-mail me...

Good thoughts would be appreciated. And even if I don't believe in God, prayers too, just in case...

[Frown]

[ October 15, 2004, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Corwin)))
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
~~~~~~~~prayers for Corwin's friend~~~~~~~~~

name?

((hugs to Corwin))

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

His name is Adrian.

And thanks for the hugs...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
If he wakes with amnesia, punches out a doctor and starts looking for his sister Evelyn Flaumel... (j/k)

hang in there man...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish your friend good luck, Corwin, and hope that you're able to find out more concrete information soon.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Jim-Me: I haven't thought of that... Silly me...
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Fingers crossed, Corwin, and good vibes coming your way.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Corwin and Adrian))))) [Frown]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Good thoughts going out to your friend, Corwin. We lost a good friend to a car accident a month ago, here's hoping that doesn't happen to you [Frown]

[ September 28, 2004, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Stray ]

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

I finally reached someone on one of the phone numbers on the note found at his home. Unfortunately it was the daughter of the person who put the note, and all she could tell me was the name of the town where/near which the accident took place, and that her parents visited him on Monday. I have to call back at 6PM (that's in 10 min) when the parents come home.

From the International Students' Office all I could learn is that their counterparts at McGill were in an emergency reunion, probably because of the accident. (the trip involved only or mostly McGill students) They won't however tell much - if anything - because they want to be sure that parents find out everything first.

That's all for now, I'll post more in about half an hour I think.

Thank you for all your thoughts, hugs and prayers.
(((Hatrack)))

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Corwin))) [Frown] I hope he's going to be ok.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just another Dharma bum
Member # 6879

- posted      Profile for Just another Dharma bum   Email Just another Dharma bum         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there dude.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

A common friend of ours who's also here in Montreal emailed me and said she has contacted some relatives that he has here, and he's apparently in a very critical state and on life support. Not good... I'm off to phone my friend to see if I can find out more. I'll keep you posted whenever I get near a computer.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] (((Corwin)))
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

((()))

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Latest news: the accident took place on Friday evening, on the way TO Quebec City, not on Sunday, as I assumed. So my friend has been in the hospital for 4 days already. His parents went to Bucharest - Romania's capital - to try to get a visa to come see him, but I don't know how that will work...

Other stuff about this: a girl died during the accident and others were severly wounded.

I found this out from another friend of ours, Cristina, who goes to the same university - Univ. de Montreal - as Iulia, the one I was talking about just before. I'll have to talk to Iulia later, around 9PM, when she gets home, to see if there's more to it.

His relatives will probably go to see him sometime during the next couple of days, and we're going to join them if possible.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
{{{{{{gentle healing thoughts for Adrian and his classmates}}}}}}}}}}}}
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Corwin and Adrian))))) [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add my prayers and thoughts.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, and best wishes and prayers to your friend, Corwin....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((Corwin))))))))

Be well. I'm praying for you.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((((Corwin and Adrian)))))))

Hang in there.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Corwin. I sincerely hope everything turns out ok.

((((Corwin))))

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Corwin, you're both in my thoughts and prayers.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

~~~~more prayers for Adrian~~~~

(((Corwin)))

Please keep us updated.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

It turns out that the person who left the note was his aunt. I already had her telephone number... Iulia managed to talk to her yesterday evening and she found out that Adrian was conscious on Monday, when she went to the hospital, but could not talk. He has multiple fractures and internal bleeding. The doctor said he'll live because he's young... I don't know if he's going to have any permanent damages, it's probably still too early to talk about that...

We're trying to see if we get permission to visit him in one of these days, but I'm not sure about it. Normally only family can visit without permission and he's apparently not in a state where he could give permission for us too.

His parents have found plane tickets only for October the 5th, so until then me, my other two friends and his aunt's family will do whatever we can for him. Friends from the Romanian Students' Association in Lyon have started raising donations - as his familly is not wealthy and they might have troubles paying for everything.

That's all for now. Thanks again for all your support.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Have you been able to get up to see him yet, Corwin? How far is the hospital from where you are (I'm not familiar with most of the cities you mention in your posts)

Farmgirl

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
That's good news. I'm glad he's doing better.

I'll continue to pray for you guys.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

I just talked to his aunt and I have found out some more (& more precise) information:

The aunt's BIL went to the hospital this morning. The town is called Trois Rivieres and is 140km away from Montreal and apparently Adrian isn't transportable yet so they'll have to keep him there for awhile.

Until now he had two pelvis operations. The doctor said he doesn't need any other operation... He also has some broken ribs but they should heal fairly easy. The problem right now is that he has an infection to his lungs. They found out exactly what it was, so they'll start to give him the proper medication for it. He has some spinal fractures but only to the bone structure, the marrow is not touched. He also has no leg fractures, so he should have no paralysis problems.

His mother and sister (who, by the way, is not named Evelyn Flaumel, or anything resembling that [Wink] ) wanted to come to see him, but his aunt told them to wait for awhile. Since he's not going to be transported to Montreal, they're gonna have to make the trip to Trois Rivieres every time they want to visit and that would be kinda hard...

I've taken care of some of the administrative problems, and tomorrow I'm gonna meet someone at the McGill Bureau for International Students who's gonna tell me exactly what's covered by his insurance plan.

We're not going to visit him tomorrow because his aunt said she won't go anymore - since her BIL went today. Probably we'll take a bus on Saturday but I'm not sure. I've got a freakin' exam, one assignment to turn in and one I've postponed because of this that I'll eventualy have to turn in next week, so... working weekend...

I hope that in about a week he will either be out of hospital or transfered to one here in Montreal.

That's all for now. I feel much better now, knowing all this... Thanks all for your support. You're... Hatrack... [Smile]

tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile]

That's great news. I'm glad he will be okay. *hugs*

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yay!

Sounds like he's going to pull through!

I am so glad you are his friend and are going to help him out by getting the paperwork started. You're a great friend.

We will continue our prayers for him.

Farmgirl

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
{{{More happy healing thoughts for everyone}}}
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah! yay for good news! [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Yey!

He's here in the Montreal General Hospital and I managed to see him today! He's better, his lung infection is almost cured, the breathing tubes that he had in his throat have been removed and he started talking this morning. I've had some problems understanding him but his mother and sister, who have been there since noon, can understand him easily. Before he could talk they made him "write" the words letter by letter with his finger on his sister's hand. Does this remind anybody of anything?! [Big Grin]

Anyway, the doctors were still going to perform a CAT-scan of his back because they think he might still have a slight problem there, but they also said that he's recovering faster than they expected. [The Wave]

The money donated by his friends in France have been transfered through Cristina, and she gave them to his mother should she need them for anything. She was very touched to see that all his friends care so much about him - she also received lots of calls from his friends' parents in his home town...

Now that he's here in Montreal I'm going to visit him again from time to time, and keep you updated about his state.

You can't imagine how glad I am to have seen him and that he's ok!!

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great news Corwin--glad he's on the mend.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.