FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cats and caffeine

Author Topic: Cats and caffeine
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
After fending off the nineteenth attack upon my ankles by my mother's kitten Gracie this morning, I picked her up and spoke with her quite firmly.

When I did I distinctly noted the odor of coffee on her breath.

It's so sad, really. The corruption of the young. She's only been here a week! I can see it now, strung out kitten, begging with a sign - will chase mice for chocolate. Thinking of nothing else but her next caffeine hit.

Pour out your coffee when you go to work, kids. Really, think of the kittens!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
And Sara, you thought you had problems with Mr. Floppy...
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of my ferrets like coffee, if it has milk and sugar in it. Not that I ever actually let them have more than a lick or two, because the idea of a ferret on caffeine terrifies me [Angst] But I did get a very cute picture of my (empty) coffee tankard sitting on the end table, with a ferret diving into it up to her waist to lick the dregs from the bottom.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My cat's a big fan of chinese food. That does wonders for his smell.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had cats that go nuts over green olives. They act like it's catnip. They will roll around on the floor and rub against the olive. I have no idea why they do this. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be a StrongBad email or something [Wink]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
My cat likes salads, especially the lettuce.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a cat that would practically climb your legs for corn on the cobb. She was also known to chew through the plastic on a loaf of bread and eat the bread. It was strange.

Belle, dear, aren't pets sometimes the best? heh! Kittens on caff!

I had Ferrets once, before the babies. I shudder to think what they would have been like on coffee. [Angst]

[ September 29, 2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Olivetta ]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Oh and I had a hamster who liked her babies, if you know what I mean.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
heh, we have to be sure to put the sugar dish and the butter away or we find little nose or tongue prints in it, our cat also has this obsession with cheese...we mostly blame my sister for introducing her to that
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh and I had a hamster who liked her babies, if you know what I mean.
yecchhh

Yeah, I know it happens. We had a cat that had an unsuccessful first pregnancy. But still, yecchhh.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
Our dog is a huge beer fan.

We've never given her enough to, you know, make her drunk. But she'll follow a brown bottle around for hours. Several times she's knocked over empties searching for allusive last drops.

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was a question, what will keep you awake better on a long car ride, caffeine or a cat. Oh well.

Have you considered an intervention?

I here COC (cats on Caffeine) has a nice program. Its a seven step thing. You put a cup of coffee on the floor. When the cat takes a drink, you step on its tail. By the seventh time the cat should no longer want coffee.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My dog would bark at beer. And bark and bark...
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

My cat's Mom, which is coincidentally my Mom's cat, really likes watermelon. If you give her the mostly-eaten rinds, she'll eat at them until only the hardest layer is left. She won't eat fish or chicken skin, but man does she love her watermelon.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
my parent's dogs really love ice. Though they don't get it very often, since they make a mess pushing it across the floor, and they rolling in the wet spots.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
My cat loves watermelon jello, and pickles. She eats normal kitty stuff, but those are her favorites.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
My puppy loves carrot. She just chews on brocolli, hen spits it on the floor and barks at it. Her favourite chew toys are her wooden brush and plastic pop and water bottles. She will happily chase one of those around for a good half hour. Couldn't ask for a cheaper dog toy...
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a cat that loooooved mac 'n cheese and Fruity Pebbles. As far as I know my current cat has no addictions, but she does like to smell my breath when I'm eating and stalk my empty cereal bowls.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me tell you about a leghorn rooster that liked bread soaked in beer. Then he would sleep it of in waste paper basket.

I cannot divulge names here because the rooster was underage.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Dan Raven!

There is locally here a buffalo that drinks beer. Honest. I've seen it.

He is a domesticated bison (well, as domesticated as those things can get, anyway) in a guy's pasture. The guy will go out and pop open a can of beer, place it on the ground, and the bison will come over and wrap his lips around it and tilt the whole thing up and glug it down.

(screechowl -- now we are going to have everyone thinking Kansas is just a vast prairie of drunken animals)

FG [Big Grin]

[ September 30, 2004, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't watermelon rind contain chemicals that induce vomiting? This has definitely been my experience. Does it affect the cat that way?

[ September 30, 2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

When my cat was a kitten if you opened your mouth nearby and let him sniff your breath after you ate some kind of meat he would actually put his head inside your mouth trying to sniff deeper. He can't do this anymore because his head is too big, but he still likes to sniff peoples breath.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend's cat once drank out of my unattended teacup. After a bit, we realized that catnip was one of the ingredients in the tea mix... [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
my cat's breath smells like catfood
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
Doesn't watermelon rind contain chemicals that induce vomiting? This has definitely been my experience. Does it affect the cat that way?
Not that I've seen. She seems to do just fine. Then again, I've always suspected she was a replicant.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tuke (A moose): Like, we'll see you later, Smallish Bear!

Rutt (another moose): Yeah, Good Day, eh! (as they exit) You know what this calls for? A pile of delicious barley and amberweed on a cold bed of malten hops, eh!

Tuke: I Liiiiike it!!

Disney's "Brother Bear"
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
the master: [ROFL]

My cat likes Mexican best. I've taught him well.

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
*Thinks of what his own cat would do with caffine*

Here kitty kitty kitty... Funny thing is... that's her name.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.