FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A thread for people who remember when the Brady Bunch was on Friday nights only

Author Topic: A thread for people who remember when the Brady Bunch was on Friday nights only
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, fellow middle-aged Jatraqueros.(and yes, I think that if you are 35, you are technically middle-aged) While reading my "Cuisine at Home" magazine today, I came across an article for Turkey a la King. This set off a slew of memories. I wondered to myself, "What ever happened to Turkey a la King" anyway? It was served at least once a week at my elementary school. Now, I never see it.

Also, when bringing back old shows from the 70's, why not bring back "H.R. Puff n Stuff?"

I think the reminiscence all started while singing "Toot Sweet" with my children as they were watching "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang." Whatever happened to the Disney musical? Are they a thing of the past? Was our generation the last to break into song while hiking along a trail?

Let those memories of a late fifties, sixties, and early seventies food, television and song come flooding back, and report them here.

Oh, and why, exactly, did they stop putting prizes in cereal?????????

[ October 17, 2004, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, it depends on what you eat for breakfast...a lot of the sweeter stuff still have prizes in them on occasion.

Also, Between Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King, a lot of kids still know Disney Musicals...just not the ones we knew, that's all.

I am only 34, though....so what do I know? [Dont Know]

[ October 17, 2004, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

*runs away*

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Things were better in our day.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, Kwea, I guess I meant the noncartoon musical. And thirty-four is OK, you have one more year of being pre-middle-aged is all.

As for Kama, let's chase her down!

Oh, wait, I forgot. I am really out of shape.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*stops, points and laughs*
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, and the fact that I cannot chase Kama reminds me of the "spas"(now called health clubs) in the 70's, and the beginning of yogurt as a fad food.

Remember those machines that you kind of sat on, and there was a roller with bumps, and it was supposed to stimulate your circulation or something? What was up with those?

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for Kama, let's chase her down!

Oh, wait, I forgot. I am really out of shape.

I'm not...
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother has got HRPuffnstuff and the Muppet Show episodes on DVD at home. Not sure where she found them, I'll be there later today and will ask. My guess at the moment is Overstock.com

My favorite Disney is still Mary Poppins.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm considered middle-aged now???

[Cry]

My son brought home a DVD freebie from the local pizza joint. Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons . . .

Go Dudley Dooright!

Man, they just don't make cartoons like they used to!

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the reminiscence all started while singing "Toot Sweet" with my children as they were watching "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang." Whatever happened to the Disney musical?
I can't seem to keep myself from pointing out that this movie was not a Disney movie.

-o-

Otherwise, it's, um, a nice thread.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this thread mean those that are cronologically 35 (middle age) or maturity wise (middle age)? In one I would qualify but in the other I don't [Big Grin]
Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"I can't seem to keep myself from pointing out that this movie was not a Disney movie."

That is only because you are containing your mean and nasty Red Sox comments, but had to let one out somewhere, so chose to pick on my advanced age, as I was too tired to walk up the stairs to check if it was a Disney movie or not. I have got your number, Insult Deflector!

Ela: GET HER!!

Goody: I MUST HAVE those HR Puff n Stuff dvds!!!!

BookWyrm: The maturity discussion happened on another thread. (I might add that five years ago, when I was thirty-five, thirty-five was not considered middle age.) On the other thread, we pretty much concurred that maturity, as in "acting all grown up," actually decreases aftr forty or so, and the regression to infantile behavior begins.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to point out that I am only 32 and I remember Chicken a la king, H.R. Puff n Stuff, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (although the book was better) and prizes in cereal boxes.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to point out that I am eighteen and I know most of the lyrics to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, although I never liked it brilliantly. I'd also like to say that I remember prizes in cereal boxes.

"What do you see/you people gazing at me/I'm turning around on a music box that's wound by a key.
How can you tell/I'm under a spell..."

aaaand

"Truuuly Scrumptious, you're truly truly scrumptious..."

quote:
Was our generation the last to break into song while hiking along a trail?
No. If you don't know anyone who does this, you're talking to the wrong people.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I second dkw's comment, only subtract two years.

And I still get prizes in certain cereal boxes . . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born in 1980, and I always break into song when I hike along a trail. "The Happy Wanderer", inevitably. Usually in a British accent.

Sometimes I'll even sing the German version.

You know what I miss most about the '70s? Rock and roll bands that knew how to play their instruments and knew how to sing. I'm not saying there isn't a lot of catchy music being made (or rather, manufactured) today, but the '70s was the last era when technical proficiency was actually valued in a musical act.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
*walks in*
*smirks at old fogies*
*walks out*
[Evil]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, I have changed the thread title. If you can honestly say that you spent your childhood Friday nights watching this line-up, then you can get all righteous and tell me how you, too, remember this or that, even though you are only twenty, thirty, or thirty-four.

Here is the line-up of which I speak:

Brady Bunch
Nanny and the Professor
The Partridge Family

(this said in total teasing fashion, by the way)

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, My folks weren't interested in those shows. How about: Lost in Space, FBI, The Sixth Sense, The Night Stalker?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Is The Partridge Family what Verily meant by "technical proficiency was actually valued in a musical act?"

How about Bobby Sherman?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

One thing that was different for us, before cable, was that cartoons happened on Saturday mornings only. OK, we had Flintstones reruns every afternoon, but still. My kids have such a casual attitude about their cartoons, you know? I mean, they can see Spongebob any day of the week. In our day, The Wizard of Oz came on once a year. That was it. Everyone gathered around. Same with The Grinch. Frosty the Snowman. Now, they are played ad nauseum all season long. You can get them on video or dvd.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Skillery, that just made me laugh like crazy. No, I do not think that is who he meant.

Punwit, Lost in Space! What a show!

rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* I have never spent a Friday night watching any television lineup.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the cartoon when it originally aired, and the variety show when it originally aired, but I was only 3 1/2 when the original series stopped airing in prime time.

But I don't want to be in your club anyway. I want to be in the club with people who saw Schoolhouse Rocks while they were the target age when it first aired.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That would be us, Dag, not you. You see, Schoolhouse Rock was originally part of the Saturday morning series. In between The Jackson Five and The Osmond cartoon shows, there were kid commercials. "Conjunction junction, what's your function..."

Here is a link which tells the history of "Schoolhouse Rock." Very interesting. So, Dag, I think both of our generations could claim S.R. as ours.

1973. I was 9. It seems like yesterday.

[ October 17, 2004, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I never watched the Friday night lineup, either...

Why'd you change the title, anyway? [Grumble]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I distincly remember the history ones debuting, especially "I'm Just a Bill" and the preamble. I also remember seeing the grammar ones before that, but likely don't remember seeing them debut. I also remember thinking the girl who was tall and got taller and then squished the boy who was small and got smaller looked a lot like my older sister.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, well, I never said mass-produced crap didn't exist in those days. Of course it existed, but it existed alongside a vast array of technically skilled musicians who were, by and large, appreciated for the quality of their artistry. Just because there has always been bad stuff in the world doesn't erase the fact that the good-to-bad ratio changes from time to time.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ela,
I can change it back if you want!

Verily,
There is still good music out there. Very, very good music. However, much of it does not see the light of the mainstream day. I have lists of off-the-beaten track bands who exceed the skill, in some cases, of 70's rock stars.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

And I know of some myself. My complaint, as far as that goes, is that it's underappreciated. In the '70s, the good music was out there for everyone to hear. Had I lived back then, I could have talked to my peers about the music I like. Living today, I can't, because too much of what I like is too old to be of interest to my peers, or too obscure for them even to know it. The only good conversations I get to have about the music that's important to me are with the parents of my peers.
skillery
Member # 6209

Karen Valentine was so hot in Room 222.

My parents came unglued when they caught us watching Love American Style. I also have memories of watching that one WITH my parents. [Dont Know]

Charly's Angels!

Later it was the Saturday evening lineup of The Love Boat and Fantasy Island that kept us glued to the TV.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I miss The Muppet Show on Friday nights.

And once a year The Parent Trap was on the Disney Sunday night movie.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's time to get things started...
dkw
Member # 3264

Why don't you get things started?
skillery
Member # 6209

I recently worked with a real Swede who got a kick out of the Muppets' Swedish Chef.
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's a thread that I should feel completely at home in. Not that I am "middle aged". Middle age is, and always will be, 20 years older than I am.

Honestly, I was never much of a "Brady Bunch" or "Partridge Family" fan. Although I did share a stage one time with three "Brady Bunch" stars (ninth grade, when the show was first hot), and during the time the Partridges were hot and I had my first job, in the snack bar of a Sunday Drive-In Swap Meet, Danny Bonaduce was a regular customer at work. He was a little twit, even then, and no one ever wanted to wait on him.

However, does anyone remember "Here Come The Brides"? "Laugh-In"? "Mod Squad" (the series, not the recent film)? Those were the shows I watched.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Tutor Turtle: "Help Me Mr. Wizard!"
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I LOVED "The Mod Squad!" Later, in my twenties, I worked with a throwback-to-the-Sixties therapist who had an afro like Link;s, and clouded glasses like Mike's.

I also remember Star Trek WHEN IT WAS A REGULAR SHOW. Eek. I loved it. (I was five and up-when did it run from and until?)

rivka
Member # 4859

September 8, 1966 thru June 3, 1969.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
The Twilight Zone???

Old John Wayne westerns that were on a regular TV station (usually one of three, if you were lucky.)

Do you remember those old TVs?

The dial channel changer. Push off, pull on power. The remote control was still the average man's dream, not the current horrible reality of numerous clickers and buttons . . . ?

The Sound of Music was an annual Thanksgiving special and Charlie's Chocolate Factory showed up in the spring . . .

*sigh*

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, Shan!

It really was simpler. Honestly, I often wonder if too much is available to "kids these days?" (the use of which expression makes me definitively middle-aged.)

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth - HR Puff N Stuff on Overstock:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=603325 (DVD)

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=257392 (VHS)

Not sure why the VHS box set is "ultimate" or why it's more expensive since they have identical descriptions.

Oh, and Overstock is a UPromise participant, so if you're registered with that college savings program, you have to start from the UPromise site and follow their link to Overstock to get credit, then search for "puffnstuff" - no spaces! - to locate the items, or maybe a search by item number would work.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.