FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pirates of the Caribbean sequel news

Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean sequel news
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Sparrow's...Father...?

And there was much rejoicing.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
This is great!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
A sequel?!?

Well I'm sure this sequel was based on the fact that somebody came up with a good, original idea for it, and not the fact that the first movie did well.

Hollywood doesn't make a sequel for just any old movie, after all.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
!!!
[Party]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] jebus
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
*crosses fingers*

The first was great. I'm glad that all of the actors are coming back, and having Keith Richards in there should make things... uh... interesting? I dunno. I want to be excited about this, but I just don't know if I can do it.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
IMDB.com had a sequel listed with the three main characters returning not long after the original cracked the $100 million mark. The good news is that there have been good sequels made recently, Shrek 2 and Spider-Man 2 coming to mind.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Yea, those were both GREAT movies.

Oh, wait... no they weren't.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
They'll have pirates in them. There will be that redeeming feature no matter what, and we have clear proof that these people do pirates well.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
*Spoilers for the first movie*

Geoffrey Rush is returning for the sequel? Doesn't Rush = Barbossa = Dead? Hmmmmmmm...

[ October 24, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Could be flash backs...
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
I
S
H
Or maybe or maybe they might invoke some sort of magic to bring him back from the dead!

I wouldn't know though.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
ARGH! I want Rupert Boneham!

I wasn't that excited about the first Pirates of the Carribean. Johnny Depp redeemed the movie, I believe, but apart from that, all the other characters were fairly boring (Orlando Bloom and Keira Knighlty for instance).

If this sequel actually improves on the first--like Spiderman 2 and the Harry Potter sequels--then it might make for a great movie.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Aztec zombie magic is a tricky, tricky thing.

I agree some of the writing was a tad...ahem...stilted, but it had it's moments even without Jack Sparrow.

As for Keith Richards...don't they have enough zombies?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Shrek 2 wasn't good?!

It was awesome!!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

The soundtrack needed work, but the last half hour was an absolute riot.

And the Evil Fairy Godmother singing "I need a Hero" (or somesuch) was absolutely hysterical.

"Key of C darling, put it in the key of C."

The fact she used to be half of "Ab Fab" just made it funnier.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vv009vV
Member # 2568

- posted      Profile for Vv009vV   Email Vv009vV         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's make a sequel to a movie based on another disney ride! Ok Alright!

Sorry, been cooped up for too long. Hated the first one, won't see the second

-EDS

Posts: 92 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Well, it must have been me then. I didn't laugh once during the entire Shrek 2.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Where did Jebus's soul go??? We have to find it!

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Searching for Souls? Lost a spirit? Welcome to Celia's one stop soul and spirit emporium!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't too fond of Shrek 2 either, come to think of it. It was kinda cute and made me chuckle in appreciation once or twice, but overall I'm a much bigger fan of the first.

As for PotC-2, I thought they were filming 2 and 3 together a la Peter Jackson. And I thought Keith Richards signed a long time ago. Oh well.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Yea, celia has my soul too.

I don't think she sells them back though, Hobbes.

esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Carrie! Why hasn't anyone yet pointed out that the article says they're filming two sequels at the same time? Sequels. Plural. Yay [Big Grin]

*SPOILER*
Shigosei and Vadon: I felt there was something wrong with Geoffrey Rush coming back. Thanks for pointing it out. Another possibility could be his ghost.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even want to see Shrek 2, because I didn't think Shrek was particularly special. Go figure. *shrug*
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky, I agree with you. The second was marginally better than the first, if only because the glaring hypocrisy of the "message" wasn't as bad (in the first, the message is that it doesn't matter what you look like, but the biggest joke of the movie that the bad guy is short) and the second has fewer scatalogical jokes, which flooded the first one.

Okay, I admit it. I liked the second better because Antonio Banderas is incredibly sexy even as an animated cat.

Neither were really good or great, though.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I agree with Icarus and kat. Saw the first, thought "eh...". Didn't bother with the second, although I may rent it at some point.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
When I heard the basic premise for the story, it gave me some GREAT ideas for plots, etc. to use in a sequel. Too bad I'm not working on it....
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does Disney feel compelled to make a sequel every time they do a movie right? It just bugs me.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, they do it even when they do a movie wrong. Jungle Book, anyone?

*shudder*

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
That I agree with. There are some sequels which are incredibly horrible. But then again, there are some that are pretty darn good.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
They've been planning to do a sequel from the getgo from what I understand. Why else would you have one of those 2-D titles that make it so convenient to mix and match?

PoTC: Curse of the Black Pearl
PoTC: Geoffrey Rush returns
PoTC: Keith Richards is still here!!
PoTC: Jonny Depp finally quit!
PoTC: Kiera Knightley doesn't wear a shirt in this one!!

I'm actually really looking forward to the sequel though. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
PoTC: Kiera Knightley doesn't wear a shirt in this one!!

4 reel?!?!
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Geoffrey Rush is returning for the sequel? Doesn't Rush = Barbossa = Dead? Hmmmmmmm...
[Roll Eyes]
This is why people should stay and watch the credits. The monkey, "Jack", grabs a coin from the chest at the end. It was begging for a sequel.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Is it a purely physical metaphor, or is Fiona's attempts to pick what she thinks she wants to be versus what would make her happy?

Throughout the movie, Fiona is the perfect Princess because that's what she's been taught to expect and what she thinks she should be.

Her evening "ogre" is something she doesn't understand and tries to hide until she learns she can choose who she wants to be.

-Trevor

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Did someone say Captain Jack Sparrow? *swoons*
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Depp AND Orlando Bloom AND a certified, sexy (if rather ancient) Rolling Stone in the same film?!?!?!? *grabs sleeping bag and heads for Cinerama ticket line a la Star Wars*
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

So you find Keith Richards, as he is these days, sexy? Women (and men who swing that way) of Hatrack, is this the majority opinion? Please, tell me this isn't the majority opinion.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(I don't think it is. He's just got that rock star persona that we love.) [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say no, not majority opinion at all. Keith is *sexy*. Not hot or attractive, but sexy. Like Mick Jagger, but rather less so.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Everyone laughs at me, but yeah, Mick's still got it.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is why people should stay and watch the credits. The monkey, "Jack", grabs a coin from the chest at the end. It was begging for a sequel.
I did see it. I had no reason to believe it would bring any of the dead pirates back.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Come on. It was *begging* for a sequel.
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
But why would it bring them back?!?!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Oh, you want it to make sense!

There were sufficient plot holes in the rules of the curse in the first one that if you liked that one, you will probably be able to tolerate a sequel. Common thread on this forum=science fiction. Suspend disbelief a little. The monkey...could be possessed by Barbossa's spirit, called into existance by Jack Sparrow's father who was bitter over Jack's childhood antics!

I'm sure anyone out there could think of a better premise. But whatever, Johnny will be in it so it'll be worth seeing just to watch him be the drunken gay pirate. [Wink]

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, I admit it. I liked the second better because Antonio Banderas is incredibly sexy even as an animated cat.
[ROFL] I haven't even seen Shrek 2 yet, but I already agree with that! Hehe... and I wasn't terribly impressed with the first one. It was alright, but nothing special. I hear number two is much better.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a dissenter. The Rolling Stones dudes are not sexy. Not one little bit. Not even a crumb of sexiness.

Now, old dudes who are sexy, well, Sean Connery tops that list. For sure. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
There were sufficient plot holes in the rules of the curse in the first one that if you liked that one, you will probably be able to tolerate a sequel. Common thread on this forum=science fiction. Suspend disbelief a little.
[Roll Eyes]

Oh, come on--if an author fails to provide internal consistency within the story they're telling, it is almost by definition *bad* fiction. I liked PotC fairly well, but I don't remember it well enough to know how much bringing back the head Bad Pirate would mess up the internal consistency of the universe.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
But if all the coins aren't in the chest anymore, is the curse still broken? Did the monkey start it all over? O_o
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The curse was broken. Barbossa died. The monkey got the curse restarted on him.

Obviously Geoffrey Rush is playing Barbossa's good twin who is an Admiral of the British Navy, comes and seduces Norrington and takes him away, allowing for much more pirate-y goodness on the high seas. Duh. [Roll Eyes]

And in the quick searches I did, I haven't actually found anything about Geoffrey Rush being in it... Just Orlando, Johnny, Keira, and Keith. (Yes, I am on a first-name basis with all of them [Wink] )

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

The curse was still active on the chest - nothing implied it was a "one shot" booby trap.

As to Barbosa's possible role - as a dream? As a character in flashback details?

Or as a part of the curse we didn't know about - "anyone so damned by this treasure is doomed to be called back from the grave if so much as a coin is displaced."

Why do I see pirates jumping up and down howling, "Damned, dirty ape!"?

-Trevor

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.