FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vikings in popular culture

Author Topic: Vikings in popular culture
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if you guys know of any books, films, etc, that relate to Norse culture or "Vikingism." This certainly seems like the place to ask. They can be fiction or nonfiction, though I'd guess I'd prefer fiction.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
"Asterix and the Normans," a French comic book. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
"Eaters of the Dead" by Michael Crichton (and the movie, "The 13 Warrior". It's supposed to be what the source of the Epic of Beowolf might look like. Very interesting.

There is some in "Byzantium" by Stephen Lawhead. An Irish priest gets captured by some Vikings and joins them in an expedition to sail down the Danube (I think) into the Black Sea and from there to Byzantium. Also very interesting.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Asterix and Obelix has everything you need to know.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You got it. [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.minnesotavikings.com/
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The "Ender's Game" screenplay by Thor.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Hagar the Horrible. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Noggin the Nog

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Marvel still publishing Thor comics? I always loved those as a kid.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Douglas Adams Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.

Neil Gaiman's American Gods

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

You know, I was wondering this aloud to a friend, and he mentioned Hagar the Horrible and the Thor comics, too, albeit as a joke.

EDIT: and Noemon, those two top my list.

[ November 10, 2004, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If your looking for a movie that references, not depicts, Norse culture, check out Rocket Gibralter.

The main plot line is about a person's desire for a viking funeral.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Erik the Viking
Noemon
Member # 1115

Worlds of Fun has an amusement park ride called The Viking Voyager. It's startlingly realistic, right down to the TidEbowl blue of the water your Viking longship travels through.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
How could we forget Viking Kittens!

Hammer of the gods!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Neil Gaiman's American Gods
That was such a great book. I want to visit all the places in that book.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot. I was going for the scoop on both Erik the Viking and the Viking Kittens.

[Grumble]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

How could I have forgotten the Viking Kittens?
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Er, Veggie Tales "Lyle the Kindly Viking"?
Probably doesn't count, but has the coolest Gilbert and Sullivan style songs about loothing and plundering.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
13th Warrior
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trondheim
Member # 4990

- posted      Profile for Trondheim   Email Trondheim         Edit/Delete Post 
As a descendant of Vikings, I would recommend When the Raven flies. It’s a “remake” of Once upon a Time in the West, rather well done, and there are no silly horned helmets or busty blondes. [Wink]

Edit: By the way, if you are looking for historical accuracy, The 13th Warrior is a poor choice.

[ November 10, 2004, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Trondheim ]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah, but I'm not going for historical accuracy- just pop culture. How people see them today.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Heinlein's Job: A Comedy of Justice.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ooh, that's a good one Icarus.

There's that Loony Tunes short where Elmer Fudd has he speaw and magic hewmit.

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! I love Asterix and Obelix! (aren't they Gaulois rather than vikings though?)
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Asterix and his friends are Gauls, a Celtic people living in what is now France in Roman times. Nothing to do with Vikings, who didn't appear until several centuries later.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Hence Asterix and the Normans. [Smile]

EDIT: Wait, you're right. That doesn't make sense.

[ November 10, 2004, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Holt's Who's Afraid of Beowulf?.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

EDIT: This was so totally in the wrong thread.

[Cry]

[ November 10, 2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Asterix and the Great Crossing has some vikings.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I guess they might overlap. Early vikings and late Romans and Gauls.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Njorl's Saga

[ November 10, 2004, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess they might overlap. Early vikings and late Romans and Gauls.
Historically, no, they don't. Not at all, actually. But the original question was about popular culture rather than historical authenticity, after all. So if M. Uderzo put Vikings into Asterix, that's a bizarre anachronism on his part, but that comic remains a valid answer to the question.

Edit: Well, it also depends on what you mean by "Romans". The Byzantine Empire, which lasted until its final defeat by the Ottoman Turks in 1453, was Roman. But it was not by any means the same "Rome" as that of Julius Caesar, and the term "Gaul" had slipped out of currency as an ethnic or geographic descriptor by then. So technically, yes, the Vikings were around during "Roman" times, but not the Rome found in "Asterix". Which is more than anyone even wanted to know about it.

[ November 10, 2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I know when the Roman Romans were around and the Vikings. I never thought of that total historical innacuracy before. It's 600 years out of time!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Guy Gavriel Kay wrote 2 books that were inspired by the vikings...

The Last Light of the Sun, and A Song for Arbonne.

The were best sellers in Fantasy, so I think they would qualify.

Also, Tom Dietz used the vikings in some of his books....although his books tended to focus more on the Celtic and Indian mythos.

Kwea

[ November 10, 2004, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Hmm... thanks for the help. Keep em coming.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The Vikings and Norse Mythology
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

How about the credit card commersials? The Capitol One ones? They play a ravaging horde out to destroy...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that THIS is no-doubt based on historically accurate and well researched information. I'm Áni Shieldcrusher

[Evil] <- Not really a viking, but as close as the graemlins get...

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Or try Emil Petaja's SF take on the Finnish Kalevala:
Saga of Lost Earth's , Star Mill , The Stolen Sun , Tramontane , The Time Twister

[ November 11, 2004, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Sorry, what's that?

EDIT: nevermind, it works now.

[ November 11, 2004, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Joel Rosenburg had a few novels based on Norse myths..Keeper of the Hidde ways was the name of the series....The Fire Duke was the first book, I think.
aspectre
Member # 2222

A summary of a brief description of the Kalevala

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.