FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Adjust your kilt when seated next to the queen..

Author Topic: Adjust your kilt when seated next to the queen..
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/14606176
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
What I love is his cheeky smile.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if he's going "regimental."

from this site
quote:
Useless trivia of the day, in case any of you have a brain cell or three you don't need: Why is going without underwear under a kilt called "going regimental"? According to best sources, at some point in time, someone made a stink about various Highland units in the British army adding non-issue items to their uniforms (which included kilts,) and insisted that they only wear regimental-issue items. Overlooked was the fact that undergarments were not issued. The Scotsmen, being somewhat po'd at the order, decided to adhere strictly to it, and stopped wearing undergarments. True? No idea. But it's a good story.
A coworker of mine wears a kilt to work sometimes. Our publisher is not happy when he does that, but the only time he does is if he's already kilted out and is coming directly from whatever occasion (wedding or funeral, whatever) he was wearing the kilt for. I love when he does that - it's just fun. I'll have to ask him if I can post his picture in a kilt online. I've taken a couple of him at work and at a wedding.

On Oct. 2, I took my 8-year-old daughter Cayla to a wedding where David was piping. We got there a little late - just in time before the bride walked up the aisle. We were in the entryway (not sure the exact term for a Catholic church), which was semi-enclosed, and about 8 feet away from David piping full-blast. Here is Cayla's reaction to the bagpipe music. She made that same face later during the wedding when I told her that about half our ancestors came from Scotland and she said, "you mean I come from a land where men wear skirts?!?"

And, I wonder if the gentleman from the article has heard this song?

(okay, I'll quit now) [Taunt]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Oh, that sucks...

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I soooooo want to marry a Scot. I do love men in kilts. [Kiss]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy playing Mordred in "Camelot" has to wear a kilt, and he's so pissed off about it too. It's really cute. [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

Cay, I LOOOOVE that song. I have heard it performed by just about everyone who sings at the Highland Games.
Reminds me of last year at the Wicked Tinkers show when they were spinning on the tables....definately regimental.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

romany - not a family show, then? [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
CaySedai, your link left off the last two verses of the song.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Dagonee...I've heard that song *many* times, but never with those last two verses...

Benefit of spending too much time in airports is you see people dressed every possible way there is to dress. A few weeks ago, I watched a little boy in a Pokemon costume...it was very cute, handmade. It didn't set off the security alarms, which makes me wonder since he looked pretty dangerous. [Wink] I saw a guy while flying through O'Hare last month in a utilikilt. He looked fabulous in it. Great legs and everything.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in Scotland I had to wear a kilt to the school 'ball', cause everyone wore kilts instead of tuxes there. Everyone asked me if I was going 'true scotsman' (no undies). I told em I wasn't really a scotsman at all... being american, and therefore had no reason to. I wore dark green short shorts beneath it [Big Grin]

But several of them did go true scotsman, and had to deal with people trying to flip their kilts up the entire night...

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Dagonee: I've never heard the last two verses before.

I got to share the picture with a couple of people at work, including the guy who does wear kilts occasionally (and he pipes!). It was universally appreciated. [Wink]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that song many times before, but I have not heard the last two verses either. I like them, but I like the way it ended wothout them better I think.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard those last two verses before. I do find them funny, but not at all appropriate. Of course, the whole song's not appropriate, so why not? [Blushing]

On the subject of liking or disliking bagpipes, Cay, does your wife like bagpipes? I think it's genetic. My daughter, at one month old, would only fall asleep if we played bagpipe music for her. My brother wandered off at the Irish fair when he was 3 and was found by us after a frantic search marching along behind the pipe bands! I've heard my grandmother did the same thing once when she was growing up in Liverpool. I've always loved the pipes, and my husband likes them too, but his sister hates them. His mother doesn't like them, and his biological dad is dead, so we don't know about him, but his dad's grand-dad was from Scotland.

I have some great WWI bagpipe stories passed down from my great-grandfather...

Oh, and kilts are just hot. If my husband wasn't so skinny-legged, I'd get him one.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
A guy in my ward sang that song at the last talent show. There was a lot of shocked silence. [Razz]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have loved that!!! I probably would have died laughing, but still... Did he sing those two other verses?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. The whole thing.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

kat, was he dressed for the part?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, my.

I can see why eyebrows were raised if he was singing the "gruesome" part...

[ November 12, 2004, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.