FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Things to be thankful for this Thanksgiving

Author Topic: Things to be thankful for this Thanksgiving
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a very good year, but it has not been an easy one. My father-in-law was very ill, and was sporadically hospitalized for most of the first few months, and my mother-in-law had major kidney surgery, as well as a rotator cuff surgery. My mom just had foot surgery, to attempt to reverse necropathy in her feet (it looks good so far!), and I was hospitalized for Kidney Stones on Halloween...the first time I have had major medical treatment in years.

I am Thankful this year that we are all OK, and that my family all gathered safely this Sunday for an early Thanksgiving meal, the last one at my parents house in Westerly,RI...a home I have loved since they moved there, and a place where I have many fond memories. They are retiring next year and selling the house, and moving away to AZ and MI, so they will no longer be close enough to visit them on the weekends, or on most holidays...

I am grateful for my sister, who had a beautiful baby girl almost 2 years ago, named Logan Jeanne (pronounced Jean). My sister almost died in childbirth, but she pulled through...and Logan is a fine healthy child, and a joy to be close to. And for my brother-in-law, who takes such great care of them both, and will probably be up for Dad of the year awards in the near future....

I am grateful most of all for my wonderful wife, Jenni (JenniK here at Hatrack). We have been married for just over a year now, and our marriage is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I love her more now than I did the day I married her, and I didn't think that was possible.

Last but not least, I am Thankful for all my friends that I have met in the last few years, both here on Hatrack and IRL. You have all made my life much happier, and i am glad that JenniK and I have had the chance to meet so many of you. Before I began posting here 3 years ago I never would have ever considered meeting up with anyone I had met on the Internet.

Now I can't wait to meet more of you.

Happy Thanksgiving all, and I hope that your lives go as well as mine has this year....that even if things seem grim or you see a lot of trouble on the horizon, you never forget that there is always something PAST that, and that life has a funny was of working out well, if you give it half a chance.

Happy holidays...

Kwea and JenniK

[ November 23, 2004, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
<---is thankfull that the grandmother who has been stroke stricken since 1988 is still around to pester the dog when it wants to be too playfull [Smile] . Is thankfull again that my self will be as safe as can be for the holiday because I have duty that day. Therefore, I will be eating thanksgiving dinner on the ship with people I rather not be with. Grandma made better potatoes.

I am also glad that one of the cheifs is opening his house to those of us in the division who have the day off, but no one to spend the holiday with. I was invited, but can not attend [Grumble] . At least the guys that I have worked along side with for the past few years will have a place to get together and be safe [Smile] . They make life enjoyable on this ship. So I am really thankfull for my friends, and my junior sailors. For without them....I'm gonna miss them when I transfer.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Holidays to you as well, Kwea.

I'm grateful this year for my family. My children amaze me each and every day, and they are truly my heart. My husband is the reason my story continues as "happily ever after."

I'm also thankful that my cousin, serving in Iraq is okay. Last week his patrol's humvee hit an IED, which exploded the humvee. There were a few concussions, but everyone in his unit was all right.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for reminding us that this is a season of thanks.

I am thankful for my beautiful baby girl, my excellent husband, our wonderful family, our continued health and our cozy home.

I am thankful that my dad is recovering well from his heart surgery and seems to still be in good spirits despite some major life changes.

I am thankful for good friends and happy memories.

I am thankful to be here, living a relatively good life with many opportunities to grow and prosper.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I am thankful that after a long & difficult pregnancy I have my beautiful 1 month old to snuggle with. I am thankful for my hubby. Our child has transformed him into a man I love even more and I am amazed that was possible. I am thankful that my mother lives close by and has been an amazing help. I am most of all thankful that God has given me these gifts. I never thought this would be possible for me and I just look at this little face and weep at the gift I have been given. I wish you all joy and blessings. Check out my little muffin.
http://www.darthunix.com/gallery/album12/IMG_0105
http://www.darthunix.com/gallery/album12/IMG_0148

Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I am thankful that I have a job that pays enough to cover our bills, with some left over for fun stuff. I'm thankful that my husband is working again. I'm thankful that we got out of our old neighborhood and into a nicer house, even if we are still just renting. Most of all, I am very, very grateful that my life has stopped sucking as abysmally as it did last year, and things look to be getting better on all fronts. Seriously, when I compare where I am now to a year ago, or even six months ago, I want to both sigh with relief and jump for joy. And thanks to all of you wonderful people here at Hatrack, for informing, challenging, and entertaining me these past few months--it's been a lot of fun [Smile]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so very grateful for the four months I spent in Greece, both for the experience and for the people I met there. I'm also grateful for my job and the people there. I'm grateful for family, naturally, but it's nice to acknowledge them occasionally. [Smile]

And, of course, I'm grateful for Hatrack and everyone here.

Oh, and football. I'm very grateful for football.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thankful for late blooms on the mimosa tree.

I'm also thankful for all the wonderful people on Hatrack who've been so kind to me. I could never have imagined how much a website would mean to me when I signed up almost a year ago.

~Carrie
(No, not that Carrie. The other one.)

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I am thankful for a better relationship with my family this year.

Also very thankful for all my friends in RL and on HR.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! [The Wave] [Party] [Group Hug]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Dawn, those are some mighty cute photos...almost as cute as the baby in them!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in the UK and don't have to handle preparing for a huge holiday so close to Christmas [Big Grin]

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! [The Wave]

P.S. I get to celebrate anyway next week as its my birthday [Wink]

[ November 24, 2004, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: cochick ]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, happy early birthday, then!

JenniK's grandma was born on July 4th, so so says that our whole country celebrates... [Big Grin]

Kwea

babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thankful that we have friends to invite over this year for Thanksgiving Dinner.

I'm thankful that even though money is tight this year we still are rich enough to have what most of the world would consider a feast fit for a king

I'm thankful that I'm sitting in my apartment filled with the mouth-watering aroma of Thanksgiving Dinner cooking, watching the Macy's Parade and listening to Christmas music.

I'm thankful for my wonderful family. I have a wonderful Hubby of 15 years. My 14 year-old son, even though he is hitting those teen-age years and tries to push his limits is a good kid with a good heart. My 9 year-old daughter works hard in school and makes straight A's.
My family rocks!! [Smile]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Babager, I just notice you post count...Welcome to Htrack!

Unless this is yet another of those alias' getting me again...

[Big Grin]

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Kwea

[ November 25, 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kwea!!!!!!! I'm trying to make it to 50 (does that count as a landmark?? [Big Grin] )

I'm trying to lurk less and post more-- I feel like I know you all so well [Smile]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
I am thankful that the Red Sox finally won the World Seriesin my lifetime so Kwea can't pick on me about that anymore! I'm thankful that today is my daddy's 73rd birthday and he's still alive to enjoy it...and grumble about every little ache and pain. I am very thanful that both Kwea's mom (my "other mother") and my mom have thus far recovered nicely from their respective surgeries.

I am most thankful to have Kwea in my life to pester me by whistling the Jeopardy theme while I type this, to kiss away all my boo-boos, and to rescue me from my nightmares (which can be quite entertaining once I'm awake enough to tell him about them!).
Happy Thanksgiving to all..and if you don't celebrate Thanksgiving where you are, take a moment to be thankful that you are, that's all I ask, so that you can share our celebration of thanks.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
babager, ti does if you want it to... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks all, this Thanksgiving was a good one for us, not the least because we posted this here and got to read everyone thinks.

I will do this again for Christmas this year, it really helps putting things in perspective....at least it does for me.

Kwea

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.