FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Time Changes Everything - Is that Necessarily Good?

Author Topic: Time Changes Everything - Is that Necessarily Good?
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - five years ago, T-Day was D-Day for my family. And then we just didn't do that day together for quite some time. We had dinner together today, and it was good that there was no fighting. And odd that there was no real connecting going on, either . . . or maybe it was just me that felt disconnected from them all . . .

But then, I never have really felt a part of my immediate family's goings' on, even when young - I mostly keep up the connection for the sake of my son.

There was just something different about the whole experience today . . .

*puzzles*

How was the day for the rest of y'all?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Empty.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Fruitless and frustrating.

Which is why I'm sitting in the office at...02:09.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My 9-year old nephew is learning chess, and we had four surprisingly competitive games.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we did have fruit...

But no one accepted my invitations to come for dinner or invited me to theirs. My family is all pretty far away. [Grumble]

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*distributes hugs*

*wonders if a Hatrack get-together for Thanksgiving next year would be a fun thing. . . with some chess and other game play-offs?*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
It could be, depending on who, what, when and where.

It could also be the biggest SNAFU since Custer said, "let's go camping, y'all!"

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Less than desired. It was bad to start since I had duty. However, when two guys didn't show up that morning.....let's just say I was really pissed.(I need 9 people minimum to run a duty day, including myself. I had 7) I never slammed doors so hard as then. They were eventually found and spot counseled. The rest of the day was spent winding down from the morning.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine wasn't wonderful. I love my family, but it's just a little off, what with Mom and Dad being seperated at the moment, and there are babies now, so we didn't go out and do anything this year. The guys watched football. It was extremely boring. I guess I was just disappointed with the whole thing this year. It wasn't much fun.
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday at home almost always. The family usually really gets together. My first thanksgiving away from family. 11000 miles from home. And it wasn't thanksgiving here, because there is no thanksgiving here, and I was in the company of people I barely knew at all, not feasting, and I was completely unaware that it was thanksgiving. Can't bitch to much though, it wasn't a bad day, and Australia's a grand country, and by the way I did finally meet with Imogen and Tony over here in the west, couldn't have met them without missing thanksgiving, and I definitely have to give thanks for that- (They're Great, Awesome, and Generous and Tony did indeed show me the sights of Perth) When we met a week or so ago I stayed at their place and we had dinner and white wine and these aussies have a way of making the most uncultured bimbo feel like he's the king of ettiquette, and their house is so well and beautifully set and decorated, so actually I guess that it was a lot like thanksgiving!

[ November 27, 2004, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: suntranafs ]

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Canada our Thanksgiving came and went quite some time ago, and it isn't nearly as big a deal here as it is for you folks down south.

Hence yesterday was nothing special.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Things I learned on Thanksgiving Day:

1. My dad has a first cousin who is a commercial artist, does commissions for murals, owns a hair salon in Salt Lake City that is only open three days a week and you have to get an appointment two months in advance, has long hair that makes him stand out in SLC, and has never been married. I sort of remember this guy, because he gave the family the most gorgeous flower arrangement I've ever seen when my mom died. He seems happy, gets along with his extended family, and usually go to family reunions. My dad thinks he's probably gay, just based on the above description, but has never known for sure. I never knew him because WE don't go to family reunions because my dad has always had this lone ranger thing going and never bothered. So, who knew?

2. My aunt found my great-grandfather's photo album, and there is a series of pictures of me at seven years old with the exact same expression that I have in the pictures from WenchCon.

3. I think my aunt is going to be divorced soon. She would be already, but she's scared - she's been married for over thirty years. I sort of hope that she does, because the kids are in their twenties and the way my uncle treats has completely destroyed her self-esteem. Maybe if she gets divorced she can get some of it back?

So, Thanksgiving was actually fine. Christmas might actually be okay too, because I'm going to send a list of ground rules to my dad before I go up there. Maybe it's a matter of regression to the mean?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.